Crest Status in Snow

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the question. A unit is in a Gully with ground conditions as Light Snow and want to go into Crest Status. Our situation was the ADPh, but I do not think it matters when.

If the unit is not leaving the hex, is the cost 2MF for going into Crest Status plus the E3.723 +1 for an Elevation Change?

This is a little strange since this would also be the cost to exit the Gully into and OG hex.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't think that the +1 MF applies.
Perhaps because the unit is not changing location ?

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm - A4.133 seems to cover that since it does say that it requires movement to another hex. However it seems open in the E3.723 as it states only if going up/down.

But you are most likely correct.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
E3.733
A squad is at crest level of a Gully, during Deep Snow. It must expend 3½ MF to move INTO the Gully (Gully: 2 MF, 1 Level down: 1 MF, Deep Snow: ½ MF). Correct?

A. No, the Snow and Deep Snow penalties are assessed per hexside crossed. {4}
QA

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should apologize - I was looking at the situation regarding Ground Snow. I believe that E3.733 covers Deep Snow only.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I should apologize - I was looking at the situation regarding Ground Snow. I believe that E3.733 covers Deep Snow only.
I agree but the QA references the penalties for ground snow and deep snow stating that they are for crossing hexsides only, and the example references the 1MF expenditure for elevation change.

Last edited:

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see that - it is irritating that is applied to that rule and not E3.723 which would make this clearer since that rule is for Deep Snow. But I would agree that seems to be the way it is implied.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a Playtest using Night Rules, ground snow, Korean War, and module rules. It is proving to be difficult and causing some interesting issues.

The issue came up since a Katusa (3MF) want to go back into Crest Status and we were not sure whether they would CX on not by usin all of their MF in the ADPh. We would not have looked at it if it was a normal squad with 4 MF since either way it would not have affected play.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It is a Playtest using Night Rules, ground snow, Korean War, and module rules. It is proving to be difficult and causing some interesting issues.

The issue came up since a Katusa (3MF) want to go back into Crest Status and we were not sure whether they would CX on not by usin all of their MF in the ADPh. We would not have looked at it if it was a normal squad with 4 MF since either way it would not have affected play.
:>) Enjoy, I see we're on the same PT group.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So beware - this has some tough rules.

I sent in 4 questions to the designer regarding other issues.