Crest Lines

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
If I have Level 1 Woods sitting on a Level 1 Crest Line Hex at a distance of 4 hexes from a viewer, does Rule B10.23 still reduce the Crest Line to 0 Blind Hexes and the woods now create only 1 Blind hex ?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If woods are on a level 1 hill, they will create blind hexes as if a non Hill obstacle.
E.g. if there are level 0 hexes behind them, the woods on the level 1 hill would generate two blind hexes for a unit at level 3, four hexes away, trying to see over them, as the base level of the hill adds to the level of woods, making them a 2 level obstacle.

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
If woods are on a level 1 hill, they will create blind hexes as if a non Hill obstacle.
E.g. if there are level 0 hexes behind them, the woods on the level 1 hill would generate two blind hexes for a unit at level 3, four hexes away, trying to see over them, as the base level of the hill adds to the level of woods, making them a 2 level obstacle.
That I understand. No problem. My concern is whether or not Rule B10.23 still comes into play. For instance, will the number of Blind hexes created by woods on a level 1 hill Crest Line Hex (Rule B10.11) within 4 hexes of a higher level viewer, reduce the number of Blind Hexes to 1 because at a 4 hex range the Level 1 Crest Line will create 0 Blind Hexes leaving only the woods as an Obstacle.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That I understand. No problem. My concern is whether or not Rule B10.23 still comes into play. For instance, will the number of Blind hexes created by woods on a level 1 hill Crest Line Hex (Rule B10.11) within 4 hexes of a higher level viewer, reduce the number of Blind Hexes to 1 because at a 4 hex range the Level 1 Crest Line will create 0 Blind Hexes leaving only the woods as an Obstacle.
No. Level 1 Hill + woods = normal (non Hill) 2 level obstacle.
See the A6.43 example, which covers your question : "EX: There is no LOS from Level 3 hill hex 2J4 to Level 1 hill hex H2 because the intervening woods in I3 makes H2 a Blind Hex (6.4). The LOS to H1 is also blocked, because the difference in elevation of I3 and H1 is added to its Blind Hex creation. Had H1 been a Level 1 hex instead, a LOS to it would exist; alternatively, had J4 been a level 4 hex instead, a LOS to H1 would exist (6.42)."