Creeping Barrage Strategy...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
So I understand the rules (I think). And the broad usage.

Two questions...

Why would you ever want to utilise the option for it to fire/advance in both Prep and Defensive Fire? What's gained from it 'outrunning' the pursuing troops?

And why would you ever want it to 'lift' before game end.

So...I'm about to play a scenario with a Creepy Barrage...I intend to try place it in Prep Fire just ahead of where I anticipate moving to in my turn 1. And I intend the final aiming hex to be the last hexrow on the single map being played. With a 'life' time of the very last turn.

What issues am I missing by doing that? Are there little 'quirks' I may be missing?

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First of all I am not very good with creeping barrages - basically I get a little greedy. One of the options is to decide when to lift them. I usually do not do this and then my troops either have to risk going through it or wait and lose time.

My best advice is to make a best guess of where your troops will be at a given turn and make sure that it is not around when you need to move through it. Not easy, but could be a better way then letting it go the whole scenario.

I also have not had a lot of luck with the landing, it is amazing how many enemy hexes can be missed when it is.

I hope this helps a little.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
First of all I am not very good with creeping barrages - basically I get a little greedy. One of the options is to decide when to lift them. I usually do not do this and then my troops either have to risk going through it or wait and lose time.

My best advice is to make a best guess of where your troops will be at a given turn and make sure that it is not around when you need to move through it. Not easy, but could be a better way then letting it go the whole scenario.

I also have not had a lot of luck with the landing, it is amazing how many enemy hexes can be missed when it is.

I hope this helps a little.
As in the real world it's a concept that seems so elegant, effective and simple until you try it.

An interesting thread. Anticipating some varied responses.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have been using creeping barrages in several recent scenarios. The choice of a fast moving barrage or a slow moving barrage depends on how much ground your troops need to traverse and the density of the defence and the terrain. If the barrage moves too slow, it will delay your troops. Moving slow, however, allows one to hit the same targets twice. The reason to have a fast moving barrage is simply to keep it out of the way of your troops. Note that every turn has an accuracy dr that might send the barrage one hex backwards.

If the barrage is not convertible, there is probably no reason to end it before the scenario end, unless you expect to "catch up" to it. If it is convertible, then you want it to lift when you need to use the HE concentrations. Scenario A56 is a great opportunity to experience this.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
What others have said. It depends on how fast/where your guys need to get. Playing Fear Naught now. Of course one barrage was off by three freaking turns, and then the other was not accurate...

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
it works well in outrunning the Russian Troops in "Red Star Red Sun". All that dust it kicks up covers the Russians well until they can get set up for some massive DTO human waves on bombarded and blinded Japanese positions. At least in my experience, this is one scenario you want it running, not walking, pace, for the creeping barrage.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
so to creepers with a lot of play - what pace do you like to set your creepers in a OVHS CG - 1st scenario? Do you like to overlap them?