creating scenarios

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It usually takes me two to three weeks to create a scenario. The pack I am working on is time consuming graphics wise. What I use is Adobe illustrator and MS Word. Here is a sample below.

Scott
that looks very good indeed, where do you get your counter graphics from?

I have to admit I don't own either Adobe illustrator or MS word
just use a cheap (ie FREE) copy of Open Office for all my word processing needs and don't have any graphics programs (or knowledge of how to use them)

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
>>> A Thread Smitten with a Rod of Resurrection <<< (If you know the reference send me a PM)
I used MS Word to create my first SL-ASL scenario card template. I copied graphics from the Vassal modules. After reading the two books about scenario design (Dorosh and Pitcavage) I learned about MMP's crackdown on 3rd party publishers' infringement on their copyrights (graphics, card layout, etc.). Since I had started a new Facebook group about ASL and SL scenario design I thought it would be advantageous to create a new template that did not use MS Word (Microsoft might get upset creating "commercial material" on a "student" or "home" version of MS Office). I had some exposure with Open Office in the late '90's and decide to try that software. I used the open drawing program and created a template that is free to use and build upon. I do not use graphics but unit nomenclature to identify the counters. I created an example scenario card to show the potential for creating a scenario card for personal use or as a start for a new 3rd party publisher.

So download Open Office and check out the template which I have linked to below:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/ASL%20Scenario%20Template%20v1.odg?token=AWzysYX4A9LRENPVUxvzWxysWu7RBIgWomrkMdXOmU9b881XHVpVCkhq6dEywzogETwk0PjLXzE6O1zJtB42BbysEbiXbNoHOhSQ5FsYkifIE3CSYtzo4pj0WX1n9LudlAD8XeXfZ722EzA_1AEg-RS6XnBeVz2XmpxUcebaf2FNLxVLli5b883CAuRXFWoAS1I
Here is a pdf of the scenario created with the template so you can look at it before you DL Open Office.

Attachments

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I used MS Publisher to make a non-standard scenario layout card (see attached). You can use VASL counter art as long as you give them credit.

Attachments

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I used MS Publisher to make a non-standard scenario layout card (see attached). You can use VASL counter art as long as you give them credit.
Nice card, I like the background images behind the OOB. You can use the VASL counter art for 3rd party publication or just for personal use?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I believe you can use for TPP publishing as long as you give citation.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
>>> A Thread Smitten with a Rod of Resurrection <<< (If you know the reference send me a PM)
I used MS Word to create my first SL-ASL scenario card template. I copied graphics from the Vassal modules. After reading the two books about scenario design (Dorosh and Pitcavage) I learned about MMP's crackdown on 3rd party publishers' infringement on their copyrights (graphics, card layout, etc.). Since I had started a new Facebook group about ASL and SL scenario design I thought it would be advantageous to create a new template that did not use MS Word (Microsoft might get upset creating "commercial material" on a "student" or "home" version of MS Office). I had some exposure with Open Office in the late '90's and decide to try that software. I used the open drawing program and created a template that is free to use and build upon. I do not use graphics but unit nomenclature to identify the counters. I created an example scenario card to show the potential for creating a scenario card for personal use or as a start for a new 3rd party publisher.

So download Open Office and check out the template which I have linked to below:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/ASL%20Scenario%20Template%20v1.odg?token=AWzysYX4A9LRENPVUxvzWxysWu7RBIgWomrkMdXOmU9b881XHVpVCkhq6dEywzogETwk0PjLXzE6O1zJtB42BbysEbiXbNoHOhSQ5FsYkifIE3CSYtzo4pj0WX1n9LudlAD8XeXfZ722EzA_1AEg-RS6XnBeVz2XmpxUcebaf2FNLxVLli5b883CAuRXFWoAS1I
Here is a pdf of the scenario created with the template so you can look at it before you DL Open Office.
very cool indeed, thanks for sharing I may well have a go at that in the future
at the moment I'm lucky in that Pete (VFTT) is going to publish the scenarios I am working on (once we finally finish getting them playtested that is)

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Looks like Lulu (on demand printer) is having a sale on Mark's book Scenario Designer's Guide and Michael's book Scenario Designer's Handbook.