Creating an HTML Based eALSRB

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I know at least 10 "heavyweights" that have e rulebooks , many people otherwise have them, I'd say at least 200.

One I saw even had vehicle notes and better graphics than ASL, real Leonardo stuff.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Can someone tell my why one would code

<span style="font-style: italic;">[EXC: normal cost applies to the LVT3/LVT3C]</span>.

instead of

<i>[EXC: normal cost applies to the LVT3/LVT3C]</i>.

Thank you.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States

<span style="font-style: italic;">[EXC: normal cost applies to the LVT3/LVT3C]</span>.

instead of

Thank you.
One "should" do <span class="exc">...</span> instead of either as a modern best practice.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

instead of

Thank you.
Some thoughts: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2108318/css-html-what-is-the-correct-way-to-make-text-italic. For ease of changing the style, especially in conjunction with other similar areas, using a css class would seem to me to be the most beneficial rather than an in-line style or an "i" tag. But if you never change the style you are just as well off leaving it as-is as going through the entire document and changing everything.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Some thoughts: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2108318/css-html-what-is-the-correct-way-to-make-text-italic. For ease of changing the style, especially in conjunction with other similar areas, using a css class would seem to me to be the most beneficial rather than an in-line style or an "i" tag. But if you never change the style you are just as well off leaving it as-is as going through the entire document and changing everything.

JR
If you're never going to change the style, you're just not forward thinking enough. :)

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd suggest <span class="exc">...</span> as well, as that will allow you to modfiy how all rules exceptions are formatted and experiment a bit.

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can someone tell me why one would code

instead of

Thank you.
For the why part, this is just guesswork. It could be the process they used to get to the final HTML document. I started with Word and then saved it as an HTML doc and there were lots of, with hindsight, crazy HTML coding stuff. OTOH, it could just be really old HTML code or they left room for future customizing by leaving a span instead of <i> and never revised the code. To really know why you would have to track down the creator!

Colin