Crags and Broken Terrain

buser333

Reaction score
F13.1 says "all hammada hexes becomes crag hexes that are also Half-Level Obstacles..."

What about already-existing crags? Are these Half-Level Obstacles as well? I see nothing in F13.1 that would indicate this and, as far as I know, Crags are not typically considered any different in DTO than in other theaters. The DT Terrain chart doesn't even list crags, nor does F.2 make any special mention of any changes.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
It's true, there are no crags on DTO terrain, which is why it's specified that the hammada is transformed.

We do this all the time in ASL -- SSR all brush is woods, etc.... is this more difficult for desert boards? All regular woods still stays woods when this SSR is in place :)

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In the line in the sand scenario 2 (J5 i think) there are both Crags and ones that are converted into 1/2 crags per BT transformation
Its easy to tell them apart. But you just have to remember to deal with them slightly differently in application of hindrance etc.
But ist not hard
If I can manage any one can lols?:eek:

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
If playing only on VASL, you'll not be able to tell the difference easily I guess, so don't do the broken terrain transformation! Keep them hammada, which is what has to be done when playing the physical game, if anyone does that anymore lol

JOS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If playing only on VASL, you'll not be able to tell the difference easily I guess, so don't do the broken terrain transformation!
Having recently played a scenario (OB7, Crisis at Kasserine, recommended!) that uses Broken Terrain, I disagree. The VASL terrain transformation is 'smart' enough that BG 'obstacle' crags have a different depiction (more 'boulders') than the regular Crag hexes. Indeed, I cannot imagine ever playing a Broken Terrain scenario on actual maps again: for this transformation in particular, VASL is just infinitely better.
Enjoy, Joshua

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Having recently played a scenario (OB7, Crisis at Kasserine, recommended!) that uses Broken Terrain, I disagree. The VASL terrain transformation is 'smart' enough that BG 'obstacle' crags have a different depiction (more 'boulders') than the regular Crag hexes. Indeed, I cannot imagine ever playing a Broken Terrain scenario on actual maps again: for this transformation in particular, VASL is just infinitely better.
Enjoy, Joshua
yes, of course, I saw the difference you speak of.

Apparently, the OP wasn't happy that these were distinguishable enough, having referred to such as 'imaginary bookkeeping.' Not very, imo! So, you are disagreeing with the wrong person.

My point was that in the old days before VASL, when we actually used real counters and maps, one had to imagine it to a much greater degree. One of the reasons the DTO was unpopular, it is said.

VASL is not 'infinitely' better, though. For a variety of reasons, it is superior to play on real maps.

cheers