Cracking a Tough Nut

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, there hasn't been a CS AAR posted in a few years.

I'm discussing tactical computer wargames over on CSW on my blog and brought up the Campaign Series. I was a playtester for Talsonsoft for most of the series. SO these games got a lot of play by me for years. It tapered off as i got back into ASL but now and then I play it again. I have the matrix edition, which i think is a great enhancement. Here's an short AAR of a game I finished today:

(Note this a copy of the AAR from blog and is written to support that discussion, you can visit it here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@222.gfzpata1WGt.2@.1dd17da2/3518 )

I just finished "Cracking a Tough Nut" from West front of the Campaign series. started this back about Christmas but forgot about it. This one has a Kampfgruppe from the 2d Pzr Div making the assault in Clervaux, Belgium. I had to fight my way to the town and then figure out how to get into the town. It is four hexes and each is worth 100 pts. There's few 25 pointers here and there also, probably to make the AI do its job right. And the AI did. The problem is that the Clerf River winds around the town and is uncrossable except at bridge of which are in the town and on its ends. I've been to Clervaux and this game replicates is correctly for the tactical situation. The US can set up on the high west banks and just clobber approaching forces. I initially went at the town from the southeast but got repulse by a a counterattack of a company of Shermans and infantry. I shifted to the north and i was able to seize a railroad bridge north of the town that infantry could cross. This allowed me to view down into the town and call in my artillery which broke the strong American positions defend that approach. Then it was a slug fest in the town clearing each hex. I lost almost all my armor and my infantry was chewed up. the US forces lost all their tanks ion a stubborn defense of the town and all their heavy weapons. The game ended with the US HQs and leaders bugging out. It ended up a draw at 445 points. I got all the objective hexes but my losses were horrendous. My KG was wrecked.

The matrix edition has a stronger AI than the previous editions. It is more stubborn in the defense and aggressive in the attack. I find my self getting more draws and even some minor defeats against this AI. This is good because previously the AI was a push-over.

I do like this system. The maps a wonderful and units looks very good. It plays like a board game but the computer does all the bookkeeping. You can now play almost all WWII actions. PBEM works very good. I do not know if HtH still works with this system, but I remember having some great games across the wires. This one may get ore playing time.

It is a bloody system though. Like the scenario I just played, if both sides stay in the fight, it will be ugly.