Cowering?

JCusick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want to make sure I am dealing with cowering correctly.
I have been playing with the understanding that any unit(s) in a hex that roll doubles while firing do not cower if a GO leader is stacked with them. Now wondering if the leader must be directing the fire to stop cowering or does just his presence in the hex stop cowering?

Thanks

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want to make sure I am dealing with cowering correctly.
I have been playing with the understanding that any unit(s) in a hex that roll doubles while firing do not cower if a GO leader is stacked with them. Now wondering if the leader must be directing the fire to stop cowering or does just his presence in the hex stop cowering?

Thanks
He’s got to direct the fire. Side note: use random selection for a fire group cowering to see who is/isn’t marked final fire.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per the 2.0 definitions, "Cowering: The penalty for MMC rolling doubles on an IFT attack without leader direction."

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Side note: use random selection for a fire group cowering to see who is/isn’t marked final fire.
When answering ASLSK questions, always substitute "select randomly" for "random selection." Random selection in the ASL sense (rolling one die for each unit, highest is selected with possible ties) is not used in ASLSK. However in this case I don't see a rule saying the marked unit in a multi-unit FG is randomly selected either (3.2.2). I may have missed it, or it may have been mistakenly omitted, but as I read the ASLSK rulebook the entire firegroup is marked with the appropriate fire marker.

JR

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes it’s harder to forget a rule than remember one. This is why I see lots of confusion when they go to ASL. My bad, just trying to help. I figuered somebody was playing and wanted a quick answer. At least I was half right.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sometimes it’s harder to forget a rule than remember one. This is why I see lots of confusion when they go to ASL. My bad, just trying to help. I figuered somebody was playing and wanted a quick answer. At least I was half right.
It's not easy for an ASL player to play ASLSK. I wrote the ASLSK index for ASL players mostly to help myself. The ASL answer is frequently the right answer but there are just enough differences that the ASL answer might not fit and it leaves the asker more confused than when he started. In this case I wonder if the "randomly select" was omitted by mistake. That possibility adds another layer to the difficulty in answering ASLSK questions: sometimes things were changed unintentionally.

JR