Cowering Confusion

bluedogpete

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Three Russian 4-4-7 units are stacked within a building. No Leader.
In PFPh enter into the same building adjacent to them is a single German 4-6-7 with an LMG
The Russian units take up First Fire with Point Blank Range
Their Fire Power 12 * 2 = 24
They roll DR 3, 3 - Doubles - 'Cower'

How would we apply the Cower effects:

1. Read off the IFT column one lower, the FP20, and apply the result to all units [is this ASLSK method?]
2. Roll a Random Selection DR for all units (ie 3 dice) [ASL Rules 7.9, last sentence]
a. Highest Dice is/are cowered
b. Non-high dice are not cowered
c. Cowered units get Final Fire marker

With method 2, which columns are read and how are the IFT results applied to the German unit?
Do we apply the total fire power and adjust as in 1 above? And then apply the cowering effects to the random units?
Or is there a method of adjusting the Fire Power according to which units Cowered?

I bet the answer's a simple one...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Random selection applies (ties may happen) to determine who is under a final fire counter (incl. SW), and attack suffer one column shift to the left (irrespective of the number of units that cowered)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The original attack always cowers the same way: drop to the next lower column, i.e. what you mark as "1". The random selection is done to determine which unit or units lose ROF and/or are marked with Defensive Final Fire during the enemy MPh. So if the stack, instead of being three squads, was three squads with LMGs (eighteen firepower, and assume not at point blank) and the attack DR was 1 (colored), 1 (white), you would attack on the twelve column (eighteen IFT-rounds-down to sixteen then drops one column for cower), then roll random selection to determine which units lost ROF and/or were marked with a Final Fire counter.

In ASLSK I will guess instead of using Random Selection you randomly select, i.e. exactly one unit loses ROF and/or is marked with Final Fire.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is possible for the cowering units to remove enough FP that the attack should drop massively but it always only drops 1 column (or 2 if inexperienced).
Take a 838 with hmg (15) with a 237 making it up to 16. If the 838 cowers you lose 7.5 fp. If the 237 cower you lose 1 which would not even drop the fp below 16! Nevertheless the attack is resolved on the 12 fp column due to the cower.

bluedogpete

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for your quick responses.

I'm assuming any Residual Fire marker placed would be half the value of the 'dropped-to' column on the IFT.

In your example, jrv, that would be RF of 6.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's a story of Fish using 26 dice for a giant Russian fire group in 'The Hedgehog of Piepsk' lol

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In ASLSK I will guess instead of using Random Selection you randomly select, i.e. exactly one unit loses ROF and/or is marked with Final Fire.
I think in ASLSK, all units cower.

Rule 3.2.2 just says:
"...Whenever a non-leader-directed MMC attack rolls original doubles as the IFT resolution DR, it cowers and is resolved on the next lower column on the IFT and results in the cowering unit being marked with a Prep Fire or Final Fire counter (as appropriate)...."

But I could have missed something.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think in ASLSK, all units cower.

Rule 3.2.2 just says:
"...Whenever a non-leader-directed MMC attack rolls original doubles as the IFT resolution DR, it cowers and is resolved on the next lower column on the IFT and results in the cowering unit being marked with a Prep Fire or Final Fire counter (as appropriate)...."

But I could have missed something.
Just a guess. I didn't look it up. But that's a bit surprising.

JR