Cowering and mixed Fire Groups

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit confused about cowering where mixed FGs are involved. Suppose a British FG consisting of two 4-5-7's First Line squads and a 4-3-6 Green squad fires at normal range, with no leader involved. Would normally be 12 FP but 'doubles' is rolled so the FG cowers.
  1. Is random selection as per A7.9 still required, or is the Prep or Final Fire counter automatically given to the 4-3-6 squad because the first line squads can't cower?
  2. If random selection is required and one (or both) of the 4-5-7's is selected:
(a) does the FG still cower by two columns? (I think the answer is yes)
(b) is any Prep or Final Fire counter placed on any of the units?
3. Does the shot drop from the 12 FP column to the 6 FP column, even though it would be an 8 FP attack if the Green squad was not involved at all? (My reading of the rules is yes - an example of A19.33)
Thanks for any advice you can give.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per A7.9 only one unit is not exempt, so it has to be that unit that cowers. There is a q&a that says this:

A7.9 If a Fire Group (FG) that contains units immune to Cowering and units that are not (e.g., 1st Line and 2nd Line British units) what happens when the IFT attack DR is an Original “Doubles”? I presume: the attack cowers (shift 1 column left) & Random Selection to determine which units cowered is applied only among units not immune to cowering, right?
A. Correct.
Besides, if a FG formed by Inexperienced units and other units (none being immune to cowering) rolls Original “Doubles”, I presume the attack must be resolved with a 2 column shift.
A. Correct. {1}
1) One could RS using one die I suppose
2a) yes
2b) yes, in this case on the 436
3) yes

JR

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That's great, thanks for the clarification and for pointing me to that Q&A.

Andy