Couple of questions about LVTs

dmchenry99

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LVTs gotta be in motion when in a water obstacle. So if an LVT4 for instance is on an ocean hex (not shallow) do they HAVE to enter a new hex during movement? Can they simply hold position? They can't stop while in the water, so they cannot delay. But can they just choose not to enter a new hex? Some have suggested they could change VCA, but I'm looking for an answer about whether you can decline to move an in-motion vehicle to a new hex? The rules seem to say "no" but there's no outright " you gotta move an in-motion vehicle one hex at least.

My other question is just about how you resolve a mortar attack on a wading LVT4. We rolled to hit normal (+2 for wading, -1 for large target) and then we rolled on the appropriate IFT column for the mortar and applied a -2 drm per the small chart at the end of C1.55 (-1 for OT and -1 for all AF under 4). Was that the correct process?

Would this process be the same (with different TH modifiers) if the LVT4 was in a non-shallow ocean hex?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per D2.4 a vehicle that starts the MPh in motion must expend at least one MP. Other than changing CA a LVT would have to move forward.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My other question is just about how you resolve a mortar attack on a wading LVT4. We rolled to hit normal (+2 for wading, -1 for large target) and then we rolled on the appropriate IFT column for the mortar and applied a -2 drm per the small chart at the end of C1.55 (-1 for OT and -1 for all AF under 4). Was that the correct process?
Typically wading LVTs are also moving targets, so that's another +2 DRM.

Would this process be the same (with different TH modifiers) if the LVT4 was in a non-shallow ocean hex?
No. A swimming amphibian is a HD double-small target [D16.3]. They are usually in motion.

JR

dmchenry99

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Typically wading LVTs are also moving targets, so that's another +2 DRM.

No. A swimming amphibian is a HD double-small target [D16.3]. They are usually in motion.

JR
TH process aside, is the resolution of a mortar hit versus a LVT4 the same whether they are wading or swimming? You roll on IFT as per C1.55? Just want to make sure there's no hidden rule elsewhere specifying a different process.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
TH process aside, is the resolution of a mortar hit versus a LVT4 the same whether they are wading or swimming? You roll on IFT as per C1.55? Just want to make sure there's no hidden rule elsewhere specifying a different process.
The resolution is the same I believe. I had a vague feeling the FP might be halved but that seems to be only against unbeached boats [E5.5].

JR