Country linked platforms

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What is the purpose of Linking platforms to countries (I just installed the PlayerDB). Is there a way to limit the choice of platforms in the scenario editor to a country and dates? Or is this information in the DB just as a guideline.

BTW, this PlayerDB is amazing, all that I was looking for!

Christisan

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
bongotastic said:
What is the purpose of Linking platforms to countries (I just installed the PlayerDB). Is there a way to limit the choice of platforms in the scenario editor to a country and dates? Or is this information in the DB just as a guideline.

BTW, this PlayerDB is amazing, all that I was looking for!

Christisan
Glad that you found it useful. The credit goes to the main contibutors like HUD-II and the HCDB, edited by Darren Buckley and Brad Leyte, respectively.

Yes, it is possible. You limit the choice of platforms that you want available for your scenario by turning on the restriction boxes for the Scenario Editor on your Harpoon 3 Launcher that say:
X Class Restriction by Country
X Class Restriction by Time

Or, you can go directly into your Harpoon3.ini file and switch them from OFF to ON.

ClassRestrictionByCountry OFF

ClassRestrictionByTime OFF

Once this happens, only those aircraft, ships, and subs that could possibly have existed in your scenario's time period will appear when you select the Insert Unit function. However, there are a couple of caveats:

1. It is not possible to insert fully constructed Installations. There is a bug in this feature so the PlayersDB has no pre-constructed Installations.

2. This feature does not work for the insertion of Land Facilities. Although we have tried to index them for your convenience, there is another bug in the Scenario Editor (?) that scrambles the facilities. For example, if you activate the Country and Time Class Restrictions and try to insert a SAM unit for Belarus, you might end up with a Runway instead.

3. The Class Restriction by Time / Country function only applies to units that you insert DIRECTLY into your scenario. For example, if your scenario is set in 1985 and Time / Country restrictions are activated, you can insert a carrier for that time period. Only the ships that are potentially available for that period will appear and only the specific ship names available for that time period will offered for your selection, too.
Now, unfortunately, when you go to add aircraft to your carrier, all restrictions are OFF. When you use the Edit Aircraft function, the Scenario Editor will offer to you any and all aircraft found within the PlayersDB, regardless of time period and country. For this reason, we have indexed all units twice. Once, through the Country Index and, again, within the individual platform's name. At the end of every platform name, the Country of use and Date of Availability is appended. i.e. USN 96

Another potential function of the Country Index is that it doesn't have to necessarily be restricted to geographic countries. You could go about and create a country called, "Fifth Eskadra", "Northern Banner Fleet", or "Sixth Fleet" and only include those units that would appear for those organizations in their respective time periods. The categories are virtually limitless. (We currently have 85 countries entered and the upper limit on potential categories is 32767!)

If you have an interest in Database work, we are always happy to welcome you aboard. Some fellows love the research, others love writing up text descriptions for the weapons / ships / aircraft / sensors, another is going through his collection of Janes and completing / double-checking the Country Index dates of availability and ship names, while others just love to write scenarios. If you want to be involved, let us know how you would like to contribute. We aren't in the practice of saying, "No."

Last edited:

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Hermann,

I started to work on a Canadian East-Coast setup which I'll fork into a few scenarios (ASW, Disaster relief ops, post-9/11 type scenario), I was a bit bummed out with H3 original's DB which didn't even had the Aurora airplane, nor any of the canadian navy ships (or so it seems). PlayersDB certainly fixed this problem.

I'm not sure whether I will end-up making useful contributions to the DB, nor even as for scenario as nothing especially exciting will realistically happen on the canadian East-coast!

cheers,

Christian

CV32

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Make sure you work Newfoundland into those East Coast scenarios ! ;)

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Oh yeah, although I can see CFB Shearwater from my kitchen window, I will not forget that the east-coast goes all the way there! :halo:

If only the canadian navy had a Carrier battle group, sigh.

CV32

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, the glory days of being the third largest Navy and the HMCS Bonaventure are long gone, but we still have the best sailors in the world. :devious:

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
bongotastic said:
Thanks Hermann,

I started to work on a Canadian East-Coast setup which I'll fork into a few scenarios (ASW, Disaster relief ops, post-9/11 type scenario), I was a bit bummed out with H3 original's DB which didn't even had the Aurora airplane, nor any of the canadian navy ships (or so it seems). PlayersDB certainly fixed this problem.

I'm not sure whether I will end-up making useful contributions to the DB, nor even as for scenario as nothing especially exciting will realistically happen on the canadian East-coast!

cheers,

Christian
You shouldn't sell yourself short. Just using the PlayersDB is contributing to it. And, if you run across any missing platforms that you need, let us know so that we'll be sure to add them. That's the 'best' way of contributing, IMO. Otherwise, the PlayersDB is just a collection of data. You can't play data without a scenario. :laugh:

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hermann, I must have lied this afternoon because I already have started adding stuff to the DB, how can I get around to have my entries to be added?

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We can do this any number of ways.

You can create an *.HCF file and then I can import it into the PlayersDB, or, you can tell me what entries you want me to create and what your specifications are and then I can create the entries in the PDb for you.

We're a bit careful about adding to the PlayersDB because whatever we put in is there FOREVER. We don't delete stuff because someone, somewhere may have made a scenario requiring that unit / platform. For us to change something after it is added would crash or alter his scenario and we don't want to do this.

Can you tell us what changes you have made? Are you creating wholly new units or are you only making changes within the Country Index i.e. adding names to an existing ship class? Please elaborate so that we can find the best way to include your work without you wiping out someone else's work. :laugh: