counters from TV series "Combat!"

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I hear it is good. Premiered the same year as Combat! One episode I'd love to see is called "One Puka Puka" with a very young George Takei and Hawaiian Eye's Ponce Ponce. It is about the 100th Battalion.
I saw some as a kid but don't remember much.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My favorite show growing up...and when we were kids running around playing "army" in the woods behind the house we took turns being our childhood hero...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
An early one with a slightly different cast was about a private drafted to drive a General around. The General gives his coat to the private who has been sneezing. Something happens, the jeep crashes and the two are separated. The private is captured while still wearing the General's coat and the Germans think he is a General. A Prisoner swap is arranged. I can't recall the details and don't want to ruin the story for anyone who might watch it. A good early BW episode.

Great stuff wbitd.🥰

chief2000

Reaction score
Yes, that was Shecky Greene, well-known comedian who played Private Braddock. He sacrificed a lot of $ to play on COMBAT! for that first season. One of my favorites. There were about three "comedic" episodes. That was one of them.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Waddeva happened to little John’s side kick from the first season?? They never mentioned his demise? 😬

chief2000

Reaction score
You mean Billy Nelson? He is in season 2 also. At one point in season one "The Celebrity," about a fictional major leaguer named Del Packer who joins the squad, Billy is very badly wounded and in the last scene, the ball player (played by Tab Hunter) comes to visit him and the bed is rolled up and Billy is gone (died?). Naaah. Even though the episodes are pretty mixed up chronologically among the seasons, Billy is alive and well in many more episodes in the first and second seasons.

Any more questions, COMBAT! fans? Kirby, take the point!

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ahhhh Kirby was my favourite. As you expected the main characters to be heroic.
the characters and stories were great. 😉

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You mean Billy Nelson? He is in season 2 also. At one point in season one "The Celebrity," about a fictional major leaguer named Del Packer who joins the squad, Billy is very badly wounded and in the last scene, the ball player (played by Tab Hunter) comes to visit him and the bed is rolled up and Billy is gone (died?). Naaah. Even though the episodes are pretty mixed up chronologically among the seasons, Billy is alive and well in many more episodes in the first and second seasons.

Any more questions, COMBAT! fans? Kirby, take the point!
I sort of remember that episode. Did the pitcher throw a grenade to take out a bunker or some such?

chief2000

Reaction score
My fave episode was "The Patrol" with James Caan as a German patrol leader. Have not seen all the episodes though.
Right - "Anatomy of a Patrol." Unlike a lot of guest stars portraying Germans, Caan's accent is pretty credible. What sometimes gets on my nerves is the references to Wehrmacht captains as Kapitän instead of Hauptmann or Korporal instead of Feldwebel/Unteroffizier. There are some well-known native speakers like Paul Busch (the German most likely to be mown down) and Hans Gudegast (Erich Braeden). There's another regular German native too but I can't recall his name.

chief2000

Reaction score
Ahhhh Kirby was my favourite. As you expected the main characters to be heroic.
the characters and stories were great. 😉
I was in a play about the Holocaust last year called "Contact with the Enemy" about two vets from a Recon outfit who accidently bump into each other at the Washington Museum and who have very different memories about the liberation of one particular camp. I modeled my character after what I thought Kirby would have been like at the age of 65 (my age):)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Right - "Anatomy of a Patrol." Unlike a lot of guest stars portraying Germans, Caan's accent is pretty credible. What sometimes gets on my nerves is the references to Wehrmacht captains as Kapitän instead of Hauptmann or Korporal instead of Feldwebel/Unteroffizier. There are some well-known native speakers like Paul Busch (the German most likely to be mown down) and Hans Gudegast (Erich Braeden). There's another regular German native too but I can't recall his name.
Yes the details we learned in later life do perhaps dull the shine a little bit. Regardless a show I remember fondly.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You're so right! It will always be my favorite.
Being a squid at heart I was very fond of McHale's Navy. Ernest Borgnine! Tim Conway! Tim was a local boy from Cuyahoga Falls. The stuff that induces you to join a particular branch of the military. Lol.🙄

Chagrin Falls?

Last edited: