Counter storage

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello

Just curious about how everyone sorts and stores ASL counters?
I have a combo of Tackle Logic and plano. Infantry and Armour get seperate trays, while information counters also get a seperate tray. Of course the "oddball" stuff gets smaller trays. Again, just curious.

Thanks
Joe

Patton1138

Reaction score
Storage

I'm a Plano purist. I don't have the containers in front of me, but it's divided into infantry boxes, vehicle boxes, and other boxes. Each box has several nationalities of that counter type.

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Plano 3701 all the way. They cost about 4$ Canadian here in frozen Ottawa, and they're great.

The strategy I use for packing those boxes is simple. Each major nationality (Germany, US, Brits, Russians, etc) gets their own box, or sometimes two if they're large enough (Infantry counters in one, vehicles/Guns in the other). Minor nationalities are packed together in other boxes. Game counters are in their own box, with the moral/prep fire/DM/CX (etc) in one box, fortifications in the other.

This takes up quite a bit of Plano, but it's real easy to find units. I've been told it's too many boxes to carry around for tournaments, but I haven't been to a tournament yet. I'll deal with that when I get there.

Just my 0.02$ CND,

Nat

SquadLdr76

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sure I'll get shot by the Plano purists on here, but I tend to find them cumbersome. I've tried storing all my counters in them but it gets too bulky. The system I use is small plastic bags labeled with the Squads and their HS, along with a seperate bag for Leaders, Crew, and Heroes and then one more for SW. Now, all my information and fortication counters ARE in Planos along with the armor assorted by type. It does work for me, plus I am able to pull out what bags I need for a particular scenario.

Anybody have a good way to organize things like the immense amount of German vehicles in Planos? How does everybody have those divided?

Just my $0.0045 cents worth (after the exchange rate from Canadian dollars :) )

amato1969

Recruit
Reaction score
SquadLdr76 said:
Anybody have a good way to organize things like the immense amount of German vehicles in Planos? How does everybody have those divided?
I keep one 3701 for the German vehicles, and segregate by the "major" type . For example, all the trucks get one cell, all the PzI's get one cell, etc. Some types (PzIVs) get a "double-wide" cell, because there's so many variations.

It really doesn't take that long to pull vehicles for a game.

Frank "just say Plano"

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Anybody have a good way to organize things like the immense
>amount of German vehicles in Planos? How does everybody
>have those divided?

I abondoned the plano route for my vehicles. Infantry and info counters remain, but all the vehicles are now in clear, small, ziplock baggies. It is probably a bit slower to pull the counters (although that is debatable if you know the system), but the savings in portage points is worth it IMO.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use plano and subdivide my armor by caliber of MA. Guns are separated by type (AA, AT, etc...). Now I may not win any counter draw gunfights, but I can carry them all in one plano...
Most any system would work, as long as you are used to it.

:wink:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should clarify that they are divided by nationality - Germans get a plano etc.... Then subdivided by caliber.

Patton1138

Reaction score
For the Germans, I basically do the same as amato. I know the German vehicles well enough to group them by designation. The other nationalities I have played with enough to be able to find vehicles when they're grouped like that. Plus, the Germans had such an effecient naming system naming them after the hull, etc.

jserrano

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Just curious about how everyone sorts and stores ASL counters?
Here in the old continent we have Raaco boxes, mostly the "Assorter 16" model although there are many others to choose from. The "Assorter 16" is a blue Plano kind of box, A4 sized, with 16 removable inserts of different kinds, a handle and 2 sliding locks for the transparent cover. It is VERY durable but quite heavy (0.8 Kg without counters in it).

I've got my full system in six of them but I should get an extra box to allow for AoO and the next HASL modules.

You may have a look at the Raaco boxes in their own web page, www.raaco.com.

Jose

(Avatar image based on an original copyrighted by Fischers-Design-Shop and modified and used without permission)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jserrano said:
Hello
we have Raaco boxes . . . It is VERY durable but heavy (0.8 Kg without counters in it).
Good God! Why not just carry around lead figures! After having back surgery this last year, I never want to carry anything heavier than a small glass of water.

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use Plano 3701's. I have my infantry counters divided by nationality, with sometimes more than one nationality per plano box. The Ordnance and vehicles are each mixed together though (i.e., not separated by nationality). The ordnance is sorted into two plano boxes, sorted by MA caliber, then subdivided by gun-type if necessary. The vehicles are in four boxes, sorted by MP, then subdivided by MA as needed. This works for me since you rarely need to access the ordnance/vehicle counters during the game. It also reduces the number of boxes as it allows me to keep a larger number of counters per bin. For instance, when playing with the Amis, if the tank you need is in a bin with 20+ counters in it, it's not hard to find the one you want if there are only 6 green counters there. Works for me.

Pete

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I've got BOTH plano 3701's and Raaco.

The Raaco are INSANELY expensive in the USA. The Plano 3701 has lots of compartments and is relatively small.

ANOTHER QUESTION: Is there any source for Raaco in the States? Would there be anyone in Europe who'd be willing to buy and send me three of the Assorter 16's? I have enough inserts to fill 10 boxes and I only have 7 boxes.... :)

I like the Raaco, but I wouldn't recommend them to most in the USA because of the cost. Plano is MUCH cheaper and nearly as good... (IMO).

But if anyone can send me three Assorter 16's send me email. :?

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm in the same boat as SamB. If anyone knows of a source for
Raacos or a kindly european ASL'er who would buy some (I need 3 assorter 16 cases as well), please email me.

Thanks

jopi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oops.. probably should have logged in before posting. This message was from me...

>I'm in the same boat as SamB. If anyone knows of a source for
>Raacos or a kindly european ASL'er who would buy some (I need 3 assorter 16 cases as well), please email me.
>
>Thanks

SSA415

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plano Ziplock Combo

I use a combo of Plano 3701s and 3750s? (6*4=24 compartments). All my vehicles and guns go into small ziplock type bags (got the perfect size, holds 6 5/8" counters flat), these are then stored in the 24 Compartment planos, sorted by MPs/MAs.... They store flat in the containers, very easy to get to, while being able to fill them all the way up. Efficient in both space and time.

S