Counter Storage

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So thanks to Ollie for pointing me in the right direction and Von Maritz for the labels
You are welcome. When created the label work, I just thought I MUST make them available so save others at least some time going through that fuss.

And yes, I will clip them (nail clippers) in due course
Think about using a counter clipper rather than a nail clipper. See this thread for details:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-counter-clipper.130105/#post-1865325

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
So thanks to Ollie for pointing me in the right direction and Von Maritz for the labels

Note the some KVs are sharing the same garage - with those same marks but have AA.

And yes, I will clip them (nail clippers) in due course
Aargh no not nail clippers........

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nail clippers work fine if you get dedicated clippers (no fungus thank you), and get a good, quality set of straight-edge toe-nail clippers (think in the $10-20 range). They go through cardboard like a hot knife through butter. Just don't cut yourself.

Finger nail clippers lack power, and cheap ones dull easily. A jig can make it easier and more consistent, but aren't necessary. I've used the tool from that link and it has a built in guide which is nice, but it isn't as sharp as a good set of new toe-nail clippers. Still, using it allows you to cut without looking at the cutting action.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Lol no, but I have seen sooo many nail clipper and C4 jig counters with eneven corners giving the counters 8 different side lengths.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Lol no, but I have seen sooo many nail clipper and C4 jig counters with eneven corners giving the counters 8 different side lengths.
This.

If you go through the pain of clipping counters (and it is a decision one should really put some thought to because it will cost tons of time), then one should to it right. From the start.

The counter-clipped counters do look best. By far.

I am not in the clipper camp. But these are my observations over many years. If you are anal enough to clip counters, then you want the best result. And nail clippers won't provide it. It might nag at you if you come to that conlusion later - when it is too late. Unless you want to sink big bucks into new counters.

So again:
Go for the best possible solution from the start. It will save you cost, trouble, and frustration later.

von Marwitz

Rubrik

Reaction score
Country
ll
This.

If you go through the pain of clipping counters (and it is a decision one should really put some thought to because it will cost tons of time), then one should to it right. From the start.

The counter-clipped counters do look best. By far.

I am not in the clipper camp. But these are my observations over many years. If you are anal enough to clip counters, then you want the best result. And nail clippers won't provide it. It might nag at you if you come to that conlusion later - when it is too late. Unless you want to sink big bucks into new counters.

So again:
Go for the best possible solution from the start. It will save you cost, trouble, and frustration later.

von Marwitz
I see what you are saying - you can't undo clipped counters - but I like my toe nail clippers because they do a reasonable job on my counters and I cant cut my toe nails with the corner cutters

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I see what you are saying - you can't undo clipped counters - but I like my toe nail clippers because they do a reasonable job on my counters and I cant cut my toe nails with the corner cutters
Save the corners in case you have clipper's regret.

JR

Last edited:

Rubrik

Reaction score
Country
ll

JR
I'm sorry but once I've clipped my toes that's it. I'm not one of those strange people that save their toenails in a jar...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm sorry but once I've clipped my toes that's it. I'm not one of those strange people that save their toenails in a jar...
Were we talking about toenails? Sorry, my error. For some reason I thought we were talking about counters.

JR

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada

JR
I actually sometimes save my clipped corners.
They look pretty good as rubble filler in model dioramas.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Mostly 1/35 armor, I have a bunch of unbuilt stuff right now.
I'm waiting for proper tools and facility to make some decent display cabinets patterned on barrister's bookcases if I can manage it in the next few years.
I have waiting in the wings 2 SiG33s, a Panther G, Tiger I E, Sherman Firefly, a couple of German gun armed halftracks, British Bishop SP, a Cromwell, an FT 17, and a Char B (very hard to find).
Already built is a Marder II, PzKfw IV D, SdKfz 251/1, JSU 152, and a partially finished Bren carrier.
Nothing contest worthy.

I had a few others back in the 1990s, but they didn't survive my next move.
Halftracks have always been a particular favorite of mine.
I had a D model Huey back in my teens, I should try to find another sometime, always loved those.

Also into 1/48 aircraft, I have a kit of the Bismarck, would like to have one of the Titanic, and maybe a Napoleonic era three deck ship of the line.
Probably won't have room for all that, but you never know what will happen eventually.

Too many interests, too little time (and space).

Rubrik

Reaction score
Country
ll
Char B - Tamiya

Dragon should have the rest. I have seen a 1/16 Panther with full interior by Trumpeter but it hasn't been released yet. Without doubt the best seem to be (I love interiors):

Takom
Rye Fields
Miniart

I get exactly what you mean with the display cases. I would have the same set up once I get a workshop established.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mostly 1/35 armor, I have a bunch of unbuilt stuff right now.
I'm waiting for proper tools and facility to make some decent display cabinets patterned on barrister's bookcases if I can manage it in the next few years.
I have waiting in the wings 2 SiG33s, a Panther G, Tiger I E, Sherman Firefly, a couple of German gun armed halftracks, British Bishop SP, a Cromwell, an FT 17, and a Char B (very hard to find).
Already built is a Marder II, PzKfw IV D, SdKfz 251/1, JSU 152, and a partially finished Bren carrier.
Nothing contest worthy.

I had a few others back in the 1990s, but they didn't survive my next move.
Halftracks have always been a particular favorite of mine.
I had a D model Huey back in my teens, I should try to find another sometime, always loved those.

Also into 1/48 aircraft, I have a kit of the Bismarck, would like to have one of the Titanic, and maybe a Napoleonic era three deck ship of the line.
Probably won't have room for all that, but you never know what will happen eventually.

Too many interests, too little time (and space).

No photos, It an't real

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Here's a quick view: (had to dust off the JSU-152)

I really should update the trooper's uniform colors. Grey just doesn't cut it.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a quick view: (had to dust off the JSU-152)

I really should update the trooper's uniform colors. Grey just doesn't cut it.

I used to build models, mostly aircraft, back in the day when I was playing Squad Leader and before work and family intervened. I also didn't have the space. It is amazing how little space one has in $650K condo in Silicon Valley. Of course, it only cost a small fraction of that at the time. I would love to see pictures of the Char when it gets built.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
That was a tough one to acquire for a reasonable price in 1/35.
Apparently Tamiya only ran that kit briefly and no one else seems to have made one.
I think I eventually paid around $45 for it, but usually they were posted for around $80 or more.
It took me close to two years to find one under $50.
I ended up buying several kits from the same seller at the same time, and a few more again later.
He sells a lot of PE detail sets as well, I got one of those for the Panther G.
Should be interesting to try, I've never used the etched brass before.