Counter storage options

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Come to think of it, my counters aren't organized as per Tom Repetti's suggestion. I found another layout somewhere, and it's a small variation on that one. I can't remember the site, but I'll try to find it.

In any case, it's very similar to what Don is describing. Infantry and SWs in one Plano, tanks and guns in another for the major armies (US, German, Soviets, etc), and the minors are lumped together, Allies in one, Axis in the other (because you don't want them at each other's throat all the time, obviously).

Then I have game counters and fortifications in other boxes.

That takes up 16 or so Plano. I can't imagine having everything in 8 Plano. I don't have half the modules, and already some of my boxes are quite full.

Nat

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Nat Mallet said:
That takes up 16 or so Plano. I can't imagine having everything in 8 Plano. I don't have half the modules, and already some of my boxes are quite full.

Nat
Me too. I do own all the modules and some of my boxes are overflowing. It's all a matter of taste really. If whatever system you use allows you to find what you want easily and helps protect your investment, then I would say it's an effective system.

I use the layout by Tom Lynch that we have in our ASL files section.

Thanks for the tip on useing the sodering iron to hold the dividers in place. I have not tried that yet. I will give it a try tonight and see how it works.

da priest

Reaction score
Don Maddox said:
...Thanks for the tip on useing the sodering iron to hold the dividers in place. I have not tried that yet. I will give it a try tonight and see how it works.
Oh! Lord! What have I done! :surprise:

I picture a puddle of plano, and being banned from the forum for life!!!! :drink:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Actually, I'm experimenting with something new. I'll let you know how it goes.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Man, i cannot work out what the joy is with these plano boxs... buy match boxes, this system is accurate (1 box per unit type), condensed (the Brits and Japs in the 'Code of Bushido Box'; the US and Russians in the 'Yanks' box and the Germans and marker conters in the 'Beyond Valour' box, the rest in the last box. And this is ALL the units AFV's and Guns included) and it is easy to carry (square boxs, with rectangular mapboards and cubic dice)
:cheeky:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
if you haven't seen it, check out Legion's pictures of his match-box storage system. he'll be 'chuffed', I believe. . .

now where are those images? :nuts:

Alan

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the pictures are from the "you know you're an ASL'er when" thread dated 15 June. :D

Priest

Reaction score
Legion said:
Man, i cannot work out what the joy is with these plano boxs... buy match boxes, this system is accurate (1 box per unit type), condensed (the Brits and Japs in the 'Code of Bushido Box'; the US and Russians in the 'Yanks' box and the Germans and marker conters in the 'Beyond Valour' box, the rest in the last box. And this is ALL the units AFV's and Guns included) and it is easy to carry (square boxs, with rectangular mapboards and cubic dice)
:cheeky:
Man, what did you do with all the matches...make one huge horkin' bonfire? :devious:

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Priest said:
Man, what did you do with all the matches...make one huge horkin' bonfire? :devious:
To tell the truth i sit up till midnight, all silent and spooky-like, and then ceremoniously burn 1 match (whilst chanting obscure Buddhist sutras) for every flaming wreck i have created in the days battles...

Gonna have to buy some more matches soon just for the ritual!

wiretwister63

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used The flat 1" deep craft storage boxes. these each have 32 compartments. Eight Hold all my ASL gear.

One each for German, Russian, American Inf, Ord, SW.

One each for German, Russian, American AFV and Vehicles

One for Large markers, fortifications, PLanes and Boats

One for the small markers.

I used the blank sticky lables and labeled the lid and one side of each box. I like these boxes they run about 3 dollars at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. The lids have a groved notch that fits over the dividers so counters don't get mixed while in transit. The dividers are molded into the box.

My boards are kept in the empty BV and Yanks box along with senario cards. One idea for senarion cards is top loading document protectors and kept in back of the rule manual.

All this is then put into a Rubbermade storage box with a big ASL written on it with black marker.

One suggestion with Ideas used from other folks suggestions to me on storage.

DJ

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This reminds me of something. At the ASL recon I was looking at Chas's storage boxes. The ones he uses are similar to small plano's, but like all boxes of this type, the counters are prone to slumming up over the top of the dividers. Plano 3701's have the same issue, even if you use a glue gun to seal the dividers in place. There is still just a tiny bit of room where the top closes down, and this is just enough to allow counters to squeeze through.

Chas took care of this by cutting a piece of foam mesh that fits into the top and prevents the counters from migrating, even if the box is turned upside down or flipped on its side. Seemed to work pretty well.

Chas, what type of foam did you use for that?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
For those that are interested, I received this message directly from Raaco:

Raaco said:
Thank you for your inquiry. However, we are sorry to inform you that we have no dealer in the USA for this product and we are not able to serve you directly. The only thing we could suggest is that you contact the following mail order company in England:

RS Components Ltd.
Birchington Road, Corby
Northants NN17 9RS
Phone +44 1536 201234
I don't know this company he is talking about, but it shouldn't be a problem. As I mentioned before, Trojan Games is a supplier of ASL material in Europe and they will ship Raaco sets directly to the US. In addition, they go the extra mile because they are wargamers and they know exactly how you want the Raaco set up. They put all the appropriate inserts in the boxes (a good mix of A75, A78 and some others) and they provide free labels for organizing everything.

So far Trojan has given me very good service and the owner speaks good English. Raaco is a bit on the expensive side and it will cost you anywhere from $50-100 (US) to get it shipped to North America depending on just how large your order is.

Auslander

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plano Panic??

Ok- Tell me that I am panicking for nothing. The venerable Plano 3701 is still available, correct? I am having trouble finding it anywhere, and if I have to re-do my counter-organizing mid-way through, it will not be a pretty sight. I figure I will need at least 4 or 5 more 3701's, as long as I can continue to be successful in hiding my ASL purchases from the wife...

Aus :mad:

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Don Maddox said:
Chas took care of this by cutting a piece of foam mesh that fits into the top and prevents the counters from migrating, even if the box is turned upside down or flipped on its side. Seemed to work pretty well.

Chas, what type of foam did you use for that?
I use the same kind of mesh -- shelving mesh. It is used to keep dishes from sliding around in cabinets. It comes in different colors, so I used light tan for allies, dark green for axis, and black for general counters. It can be found in just about any store that stocks dishes and stuff, like Target and Wal-Mart.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WaterRabbit said:
I use the same kind of mesh -- shelving mesh. It is used to keep dishes from sliding around in cabinets. It comes in different colors, so I used light tan for allies, dark green for axis, and black for general counters. It can be found in just about any store that stocks dishes and stuff, like Target and Wal-Mart.
Yes, this is the type. You just cut it to the size you need & voila.

It has a tendency to be "sticky" as well, so when you open the containers to dig out counters for a game you can put them on the foam and they don't wander.

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
Get 'em on Amazon

I ordered all of my Planos from Amazon.com . Do a search under all products for "Plano 3701" and it will come up with two options. The cheaper of the two options is actually the better company. They are fast, professional, and did I mention that they were the cheaper of the two?

I had mine 3 days after ordering.

- Rick

I don't have a snazzy tag line.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
I have looked and looked and found nothing in my area. So, I decided that the best way is to deal with Plano directly.

Their number is 630-552-9402 Plano Molding Company 712 West Main St. Plano, IL 60545.

It is best to go in with friends as the minimum order is a box of six and they ship UPS.

When I last purchased a box (two actually)in March of 2004 the price was $46.43. This included 12 3701s (two boxes) and shipping and handling. That came out to $3.87 per 3701 container, which was cheaper than I could purchase it anywhere around Cleveland, OH (that is, if I could find it).

I like the idea of using that mesh stuff.

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox I'm always amazed at people who claim to get their entire collection in 8 planos. I don't see how you can do it if you own all the modules. Having guns/vehciles in one and infantry in another for each nationaly takes up 8 boxes just for the four primary combatants. And that's not even counting the info markers and stuff![/QUOTE said:
I have all my counter in 11 Plano's with room waiting for AoO. Two are informational counters with the most often used in one container and the "odd" ones in a second, which gets pulled far less often. Larger nationality mixes get their own Plano and some with a common bond share like Japanese/Chinese or Russian/Finn. ?"s get their own square as do leaders. Squads and matching 1/2 squad type share their own square. Vehicles sorted by gun caliber. Guns are all lumped into one square. The whole point for me being that you and your opponent have a minimum of trays sitting around and needing sorting through. Of course my method is the best :D

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States