Counter Storage for HASLs

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have all of the core modules clipped, sorted, and stored. Now I'm starting to do the same with historical modules, such as Red Factories, Hatten in Flames, and Sword and Fire.

How do people organize the counters from these modules? Do they just take the Russian counters from RF and store them with the Russian counters from Beyond Valor, to make one big expanded Russian OB? Or do they keep the RF and other HASL counters separate? I guess the same question goes for the special system counters that often come with these modules - do those incorporated into one big collection of system counters for any scenario, or are those kept separate, only to be used when playing those HASLs?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I put 'em all in with their core module brothers in arms. I sort them into separate compartments if they are unique from the core counters in some attribute (like red ID numbers or special unit identifying marks, etc.).

Last edited:

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Same, plus a separate CG Plano for Location, VP counters, etc.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do people organize the counters from these modules? Do they just take the Russian counters from RF and store them with the Russian counters from Beyond Valor, to make one big expanded Russian OB?
I tried that at first, but many years ago the Plano cells overflowed w/punched Russian MMCs.

Most of the time, you will not need more then 20x or so of an MMC chit to play something, so I stopped adding to them.

At first, I used HASL-expansion Planos, especially for chits that differ from their core module standard in some of the many ways (red ID#s, ABTF SS, those w/special unit glyphs, etc.).

Now-a-days, I leave them on their sprues. I'll punch them only as/when I may need them, and devise a storage plan then.

Ditto, core module reprints I may buy, though I generally scan any module for eratta counters and "in-proces" those, if any, to the ready-to-play kit.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I have all of the core modules clipped, sorted, and stored. Now I'm starting to do the same with historical modules, such as Red Factories, Hatten in Flames, and Sword and Fire.

How do people organize the counters from these modules? Do they just take the Russian counters from RF and store them with the Russian counters from Beyond Valor, to make one big expanded Russian OB? Or do they keep the RF and other HASL counters separate? I guess the same question goes for the special system counters that often come with these modules - do those incorporated into one big collection of system counters for any scenario, or are those kept separate, only to be used when playing those HASLs?
I pile 'em all together in Planos. The specially-marked German counters from FB are in a separate Plano and I just leave 'em there. I have a simple travel pack [large suitcase] with everything [counters, maps, scenarios, etc] for most scenarios [EXC: HASL]. For tournaments, I bring a second travel pack with everything else to include HASLs.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I tried that at first, but many years ago the Plano cells overflowed w/punched Russian MMCs.

Most of the time, you will not need more then 20x or so of an MMC chit to play something, so I stopped adding to them.

At first, I used HASL-expansion Planos, especially for chits that differ from their core module standard in some of the many ways (red ID#s, ABTF SS, those w/special unit glyphs, etc.).

Now-a-days, I leave them on their sprues. I'll punch them only as/when I may need them, and devise a storage plan then.

Ditto, core module reprints I may buy, though I generally scan any module for eratta counters and "in-proces" those, if any, to the ready-to-play kit.
Much wisdom in this.

I fill up my kit to (roughly) a "double-OoB". A few units from HASLs were added (for example, from VotG or KGP) if they were not available as part of core modules or using these to get to the "double-OoB" standard.

Besides that, I don't punch/process any of the HASL counters. And if so, then only of the types not yet covered by my kit.

As Wayne says, no one is helped by too many 447s, LMGs and all sorts of stuff clogging up your kit using up space.

You usually get along with a "single OoB" in at least 90% of the cases. Having a "double OoB" ups that to 95% or more. The marginal rest are individual special cases that I find does not warrant to be addressed by your standard storage system.

Leaving HASLs unpunched will further increase their resale value, should you consider doing this.

von Marwitz