counter storage - by game or nationality?

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been working my way through the starter kits, including SK1, SK2, SK3, and DaE. I'm about ready to start playing SK Expansion Pack 1.

So far, I've been using Darice containers to store the counters, and I've been storing each SK in a separate container. As you can see from the photo, that means I have four containers, and I was starting to set up a container for EP1.

But this is starting to be inefficient. I can't keep doing this forever.

I've thought about keeping the SK counters separate using this approach:

http://asl-battleschool.blogspot.com/2011/07/starter-kit-storage.html

But after EP1, I'm going to start full ASL with Beyond Valor. I've also got Yanks and some other modules, and altogether I probably have OOBs for all countries. When I move to full up ASL, I'll probably have to give up on storing the counters separately by game, and instead combine the counters and store them by country in something like the Hozan containers.

But right now, I'm having trouble overcoming my OCD impulse to keep my counters separated by game. I can't bring myself to mix all the SK counters and organize them by nationality.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
When you switch to ASL, you need to drop the "storage by game/module" approach at the latest.

It might work for ASLSK, but it will not work for ASL. I don't even think that it makes sense for ASLSK.

ASL has thousands of scenarios, many of which do not come with any counters as part of the product. So you need to draw on counters of other "games". Furthermore, you will find scenarios that match nationalities against each other that are not part of the same "game"/module. And ASL has 14 (?) core modules plus various other products that come with counters (not even talking about Third Party Publishers). There are system counters in some "games"/modules that you need for many other scenarios of other "games"/modules.

When you will switch your storage system approach, go "full OCD" from the start to save yourself extra work, restructuring, buying another sort of storage containers after going for an inferior but cheaper type first. Or at least use a system that you can scale up with minimum fuss.

As a new ASL player owning maybe Beyond Valor 3rd ed. and Yanks 2nd ed. you will not (yet) need a storage solution to house roughly double orders of battle for all MMP core modules. Nevertheless, maybe the following articles in the resoruces section of this forum could be of value to you:

The first one is an "all you need to know" article on storing your ASL stuff in RAACO storage containers.
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?resources/the-ultimate-raaco-storage.16/

The second one is a proof of concept for labels to be used with RAACO storage containers. As Gamesquad does not allow to upload Excel files, this is a PDF. An editable Excel file that can be adapted/expanded to meet your needs can be found in the download section of the Texas ASL Club.
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?resources/asl-counter-labels-for-use-with-a75-a78-raaco-inserts-assorters-covering-all-asl-core-modules.17/
http://www.texas-asl.com/download/download.htm

It is important to realize that there is no universal perfect storage solution. You should carefully scrutinize your needs and preferences before you endeavour to reform your storage solution as this will ultimately save you a lot of time and money. The article may provide some inspiration about what issues to spend some thought.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
By nationality!
see the Von Marwitz post for details.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've thought about keeping the SK counters separate using this approach:

http://asl-battleschool.blogspot.com/2011/07/starter-kit-storage.html

But right now, I'm having trouble overcoming my OCD impulse to keep my counters separated by game. I can't bring myself to mix all the SK counters and organize them by nationality.
As I hinted at the end of another post, there are scenario dependencies in ASLSK that newer players may not be aware of when they embark upon their counter-storage expedition. (And make no mistake, it is a journey unto itself.) This is one of the reasons why I recommended sorting ASLSK counters by nationality. For example, S18 Baking Bread (published in Operations 49 in 2006, and available for free download here) primarily uses components found in the first Kit. However, the scenario also requires a Russian 2-2-8 crew and an AT Gun (45mm PTP obr. 32) from the second Kit.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By nationality, broken down further by infantry, vehicle and gun. All info counters should be stored separately by usage.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I agree with others to organise by nationalities, at least for the official AH/MMP counters. The only exception to that rule is having my TPP counters separately. The reason for that is that, say BFP's, counters are only used in BFP scenarios and there is no need to have them to hand when playing a non-BFP scenario. I still organise my BFP counters by nationality within my BFP sub-set. But that's just me.

I've said it before but the important thing to consider is what makes most sense to you. You will have to retrieve and return your own counters and whatever mental associations/organisations suits your mind, then go for that. If others laugh but it saves you time and stress then stick with it. It's your counters and time.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It's also a matter of how you weigh pre-game to post-game time. When optimizing the post-game time, you should consider the "put it all in one large bag" solution (which has the added advantage of cheapness).

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's also a matter of how you weigh pre-game to post-game time. When optimizing the post-game time, you should consider the "put it all in one large bag" solution (which has the added advantage of cheapness).
That does solve the post game problem and is no doubt great for those times when one must make a quick get-a-way so to speak. However, having to take the upcoming week to setup the next game is kind of a drag. :)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As I said, it's all a matter of relative weights. If you value your post-game time more than 100 times your pre-game time, it may be worth considering. :)

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always make a quick getaway, typically because I have a long drive ahead of me. I throw everything in my dice cup, put a sock over it and sort it out at my leisure when I get home.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That does solve the post game problem and is no doubt great for those times when one must make a quick get-a-way so to speak. However, having to take the upcoming week to setup the next game is kind of a drag. :)
There was one player who opted for the big-bag solution, and he swore by it (although I think he has since given it up). I never used it, so I can't comment on its merits.

JR

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the replies. I have a set of Hozan trays on the way and will start the organization project.

One more question: Is there any reason I should keep my SK counters separate? The only reason I can think of is if I play someone who only wants to play SKs, keeping the counters separate would make that easier, but I don't know if that's a big deal.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The counters are perfectly compatible, so if you only want to play someone with the SK rules you don't have to keep them separate.

The only reason I see why you'd want to keep them separate, is if you at some point want to resell one of your sets.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The only reason I see why you'd want to keep them separate, is if you at some point want to resell one of your sets.
Or if you don't want to cart heaps of counters over to a friend's house/game café for an ASLSK scenario. I use a binder (folder in EU-speak) to store all of the ASLSK boards, scenarios, and rules, plus one Plano case for all of the ASLSK counters. Much more compact than ASL storage.

IOW, there is some merit in keeping an ASLSK "travel kit" separate. That said, I've purloined most of the ASLSK DM counters for my ASL set. The ones with CX on the reverse side are, IMO, more useful than the ones that come with BV3, etc.

Beginning Turn 1 MPh: "This HS is Double Timing..." Place a CX/DM counter on HS and flip to DM side if HS breaks.

ASLSK Storage 1200px.jpg Carry Case Annotated 600px.png