Counter sizes for modules

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question: what is the preferred size that you players like to see the counters in VASSAL modules? For mine, I've been using a 60x60 px counter because frankly, with a dual monitor set up with my primary screen having a resolution of 1600x1200, I like to be able to see the counters if I'm zoomed in all the way. I realize that this makes for some large counters for those with lower resolutions, so I've always been sure to add at least 4 levels of zoom - those guys can zoom out more than I can to see more board real estate.

Is 60x60 too large or ok?

I realize that this makes for larger file sizes since you have to have a larger map to accomodate those larger counters, however none of my modules have clocked in over 10mb (that I can think of) so I think it's possible to still have the larger counter/maps without having an overly bloated file size.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
With the 4x zoom, I like the 60x60. I was just looking at the Thunder at the Crossroads mod you made and the zoom is great for a two mapper.

Keith

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Keith. I know that one big request that players have is the ability to see the entire map on the screen at once. I think that for a standard 2-mapper, 4 levels of zoom (set at the default 1.5x per level I think is) will allow you to see the entire map - of course dependant upon your screen resolution.

FYI, check out the map for my next module Panzer Command: LINK (warning, fairly large image, 1.7 mb)

If you are at all familiar with that game, you'll note that this is a complete redo of the map. :)

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Gary :smoke:

I used 75x75 for the Devil's Cauldron, because of the amount of detail on the counters - They are real works of art. I'm finding that with this size, you nearly always played in at least one zoom level, if not two.

In terms of the module itself, I find this is really a tad too large. As you say, the maps have to be considerably bigger to accomodate the larger counters (Though they look darned good also!).

For new modules, I have generally standardized on either 51x51 or 57x57, depending on how busy the counters are. I use odd numbers so that the counters have a single centre pixel will centre correctly.

Cheers,
Brent.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Swampwallaby said:
Hi Gary :smoke:

I used 75x75 for the Devil's Cauldron, because of the amount of detail on the counters - They are real works of art. I'm finding that with this size, you nearly always played in at least one zoom level, if not two.

In terms of the module itself, I find this is really a tad too large. As you say, the maps have to be considerably bigger to accomodate the larger counters (Though they look darned good also!).

For new modules, I have generally standardized on either 51x51 or 57x57, depending on how busy the counters are. I use odd numbers so that the counters have a single centre pixel will centre correctly.

Cheers,
Brent.
Can't wait to see your TDC module - I'm sure it's going to have some nice bells & whistles to go along with the fine art work.

Great point about the odd pixel sizes for the counters!

By the way, email back to you regarding the testing that you asked me to do as soon as my mail server comes back up (and Keith, turn out to you in the same case).... :blab:

travillaintim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Counter size

The few mods Ive made where I've used counters, they have always varied from the 61x61 to the 101x101 range leaning more to the larger size.

Generally because like Brent implies bigger is beautiful :) (and the counters are usually busy anyways)

The mod size take a hit, that coupled with my insistence on 32bit png files to keep fading alpha channel effects intact (the 8/16 bit gifs seem to always discard a gradual bevel or emboss fade and display either one end of the result or another) but ever since learning the heap stack edit trick OOM's and 'counter dragging' are never an issue anymore ;)

As a definite side effect on the zoom levels I almost always exclusively rely on the mouse over stack viewer as opposed to zooming in and out - kind of why I'd like to see a 'lock' on the zoom level setting so if the zoom starts off at say "2" it cant be increased to "1". Waiting on these large maps to rescale with the zoom can sometimes take awhile :)

Tim

Last edited:

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I set the zoom in and zoom out to use the keypad "+" and "-" keys, it's out of the way so that you don't accidentally hit them when typing a message and intuitive enough to remember what the keyboard shortcut is. Also, my thinking is that if a player clicks on the zoom tool, then they should assume that there will be a wait time....

Ok, so 61 px to 101 px - wow, and I thought that I was using large counter sizes. :)

By the way Brent, isn't TDC based on the Panzer Command game system (I think I read at CSW)? If so, I will really be paying close attention to how you did the chit-pull for that one.

KLG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I built my first module I was worried about module size so I kept the counters as small as possible but still attractive. The main counters were ships (Close Action) that are 2 hexes long and 1 hex wide and I went with 29 x 87. A wierd size I know, but it was my first module and I was learning as I went :)

For my Wilderness War mod I went with 60 x 60 counters, mainly because any smaller lost too much detail on the faces of the leader counters.

For the WBTS module I'm working on now, I've settled on a 50 x 50 counter. The information on them is fairly basic and the map is huge. So this size helps keep the map size down. I had to add some memory to my system to enable me to work on the map as one piece and not split it up into multiple sections.

Last edited:

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KLG said:
For the WBTS module I'm working on now, I've settled on a 50 x 50 counter. The information on them is fairly basic and the map is huge. So this size helps keep the map size down. I had to add some memory to my system to enable me to work on the map as one piece and not split it up into multiple sections.
Hey Kevin - how is that module for WBTS coming along? That's another one that I'm keeping an eye out for. That's a huge module I bet, I know your pain! :)

KLG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the counters all made and loaded into the module. Have the grid laid out for the three maps and reporting correctly, and about 3/4 of the charts have been entered. The big project left is building the map. I usually work off scanned images of maps but this map is too large to make scanning really feesible. So I took a png image of my grid and I'm building it by hand. I have the rail net laid out, the forests and marshes added, and the coast lines drawn. Still have plenty to add though.

If anyone has a better idea how to get the map image other than drawing it by hand, I'm open for suggestions.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KLG said:
I have the counters all made and loaded into the module. Have the grid laid out for the three maps and reporting correctly, and about 3/4 of the charts have been entered. The big project left is building the map. I usually work off scanned images of maps but this map is too large to make scanning really feesible. So I took a png image of my grid and I'm building it by hand. I have the rail net laid out, the forests and marshes added, and the coast lines drawn. Still have plenty to add though.

If anyone has a better idea how to get the map image other than drawing it by hand, I'm open for suggestions.
For the TATCII module (which is a full 2-mapper), I scanned and then traced/redrew each map individually and then stitched the whole thing together to make one large map (before splitting it into 4 equal sized panels for quicker loading in VASSAL). You might of seen my map making tutorial, but it basically tells how I start the maps at least: LINK

Guy R

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the 60x60 size and vary somewhat in whether I am zoomed all the way in or out a level or possible 2. Thanks for the odd-size tip for centering! I hadn't considered that before.