Counter placement issues

gweiloh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently downloaded a board from the VASL website area "Other boards and CG Maps". When playing around with counter setup, I realized that the counters won't "center" on to the map hexes. In fact, they're quite aways off:

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 7.10.32 AM.png

This particular MMG was supposed to be put into hex L6, but VASL says it's on the K6/K7 hexside and by the looks of things, it seems to be sitting on the K7/K6/L6 vertex. Placing this counter into any hex forces it to one of its hex sides and reports an incorrect map location. I've tried re-loading this map several times as well as converting a "Pre 6.2" game.
Google, VASSAL and GameSquad searches don't (for me) render a solution. What am I, a relative VASL rookie, doing wrong?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
What board is it? It may not be updated or updatable to the new versions of VASL. Because it sounds like you've tried a lot of things already. Notice how the hex coords. look quirky but not sure if that's what the map looks like on VASl or is just your upload.

gweiloh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The board is "Kellum's Bridge v0.11" found at http://vasl.info/other.htm. I'm guessing this is a very old map version, but assumed there would be some method to bring the artwork in to my current version of VASL 6.4.2...

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The board is "Kellum's Bridge v0.11" found at http://vasl.info/other.htm. I'm guessing this is a very old map version, but assumed there would be some method to bring the artwork in to my current version of VASL 6.4.2...
If Don's post doesn't help you, let me know. I've run into and fixed map problems like you describe.

Al

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What size is hex A1? Is it full height / half height, full width or half width? I am away from my desktop so can’t check myself. I suspect that it the bd file needs an update.

gweiloh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What size is hex A1? Is it full height / half height, full width or half width? I am away from my desktop so can’t check myself. I suspect that it the bd file needs an update.
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 5.31.42 AM.png

Opening the file in its original state shows the upper-left corner of the map (above) - and that A1 is full height, but only half width.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I just opened up the All American board (bdAllAmerican) I have in VASL and it works just fine. It's a combo of all three boards.

However, Kellam's Bridge (bdKB) and Stanley's Hill (bdSH) both exhibit the behavior at the top of the thread.

Boards All American (bdAllAmerican), and Timmes' Orchard (bdTO) are fine. I sent the All American to Adam for the intern solution.

If someone could take a look at bdKB and bdSH and fix them and repost them someplace that would be great.

Don

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have looked at both bdKB and bdSH and the problem is the hex grid configuration. In both boards, the hex in the top left corner is a half width, half-height hex. This is not what current versions of VASL expect: I doubt these boards would have worked properly on VASL-6.4.0 and later versions.

In the short term, using VASL 6.3.3 would probably work with these boards (but I haven't tested it). 6.3.3 is still available for download and remember you can have multiple versions of VASL on your device at once; using 6.3.3 for games using these boards should not interfere with using 6.4.x for other games/boards.

In the longer term, this is a fixable problem and I will get onto it. Can't promise it will make the final version of 6.4.3.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Doug, in the intern I think he can use the AllAmerican board I sent him, it has all three maps and does not display this behavior.

gweiloh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don/Doug: Confirmed. The boards Don sent to me work very well. We're good to go to finally take and hold La Fière bridge. Thank you, Don!

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Great! Glad to hear. There are a number of boards that this problem will apply to so I worked on it and got 'er done as we say. The solution will be in the 6.4.3 official release and the revised boards will come out at the same time.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It seems to me that the problem is not with Vasl but with the boards data file - the x0 coordinate needs to be set to 0 and I think there should be just the one version number which should be the first line in the data file. I downloaded this map changed the data file as above and it now works fine.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It seems to me that the problem is not with Vasl but with the boards data file - the x0 coordinate needs to be set to 0 and I think there should be just the one version number which should be the first line in the data file. I downloaded this map changed the data file as above and it now works fine.
Trying cropping and flipping the boards and see if it still works. I will be pleasantly surprised if it does. What VASL version are you using? If it is lower than 6.4.0 then it might well work. But I don't think it will with more recent versions.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Vasl version 6.42 - flipping and cropping everything works fine. I believe its purely the coordinate setting for the x and y position of hex A1 that needs correcting in the data file, and getting rid of some erroneous lines of text.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The problem with that board is the data file. VASSAL expects A1 to be the top left corner. Here, A0 is top left. To fix that, you need to put "alternate=true" in the data file. There also appears to be some issue in dx and dy. -- jim

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The problem with that board is the data file. VASSAL expects A1 to be the top left corner. Here, A0 is top left. To fix that, you need to put "alternate=true" in the data file. There also appears to be some issue in dx and dy. -- jim
I don't think you need to set alternate to true just change the x0 value to 0 and remove the second version number and all should work fine

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I don't think you need to set alternate to true just change the x0 value to 0 and remove the second version number and all should work fine
You do unless you're happy with B1 reporting as B0, D1 as D0, etc. As I said, VASSAL expects A1 in the upper left. The only hex with data entered is A1. Everything else is calculated by dx/dy relative to A1. -- jim

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You do unless you're happy with B1 reporting as B0, D1 as D0, etc. As I said, VASSAL expects A1 in the upper left. The only hex with data entered is A1. Everything else is calculated by dx/dy relative to A1. -- jim
Have you checked. I believe everything is reporting correctly without changing the Alternate to true on this map. Just don't want the wrong info going out. What you say would be true if the alignment of the hexes was incorrect on the map but it is not.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just to make myself clear - B1 on this map is down and to the right of A1 which is the normal alignment. If B1 had been up and to the right of A1 then it would be necessary to set Alternate to true.