Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
For what little it's worth, I am inclined to go with some form of "Convoy Lite" as Mr. Incredible suggests.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
For what little it's worth, I am inclined to go with some form of "Convoy Lite" as Mr. Incredible suggests.
And I must strenuously object your honor. I offer a comparison of these characteristics of convoys and columns:

Convoys:
Typically, there are MPs at intersections to direct traffic to keep the convoy moving.
Have a set speed with set intervals between vehicles to minimize the 'accordion' effect as vehicles slow for curves and hills.
Most drivers in convoys are not combat soldiers but designated as a "driver".
The commander of the convoy is typically in the first or second vehicle with the senior NCO either the last or next to last vehicle in the convoy.
Convoys typically travel on secured roads and drivers do not expect to encounter the enemy.

Column:
Do not have MPs directing traffic.
The column commander is going to be closer to the middle of the column so he can direct his units to maneuver and engage the enemy effectively.
Most of the troops in the column are combat soldiers.
The head of the column is dispersed more than the typical intervals found in convoys because the units might have to react and maneuver.
Columns can travel faster than convoys without the limitations of a set speed.
The column is the first elements with the mission to secure the road for any convoys that may follow.

Imposing convoy rules on the advancing column is the wrong way to 'balance' the disproportion between the two forces.

Adjust the forces, adjust their morale (make them fanatic with high ELR within six - eight hexes of a AT gun) instead. The Germans get 4 squads (and half or all, may start deployed*), three crews (HMG, 2x AT guns), 8-1, 8-0, and 8 Panzerfausts (two per squad or *one per HS), set HIP. Adjust the value of the units CVP based on playtests to find the right number range for VC for each side. M4s and M10s should have a high value. Maybe the Germans can substitute one panzerfaust for 4 points of AT mines, usable on roads HIP by SSR.

IMO

Last edited:

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
hey guys, sounds more like a column right enough (though I was inclined to make it a convoy)
just had some feedback, whcih I am very grateful for
surprisingly enough it seems that the Germans have the edge, the Americans don't have much of a chance to win as it stands
I'm really surprised, just wondering if the scenario can be salvaged though

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
hey guys, sounds more like a column right enough (though I was inclined to make it a convoy)
surprisingly enough it seems that the Germans have the edge, the Americans don't have much of a chance to win as it stands
Of course it can be salvaged. ASL has numerous variables the designer can adjust. (And that is one of its greatest assets, a cornerstone to its longevity.) If the Germans are too tough, then adjust their morale and/or ELR. Can the Sherman tanks be upgraded in quality (M4A1 to M4A3E2)? Maybe add a 8-1 armor leader to one of the TDs or tanks. (Hope the playtesters remembered to make use of the smoke dischargers, smoke mortars and smoke pots on the America AFVs.)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am very confused by this. To adjust the scenario, change the VC to read, "The Americans win." That should give the Americans a good chance at winning. It may even push it too far the other way so you may have to dial it back from there.

JR

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I am very confused by this. To adjust the scenario, change the VC to read, "The Americans always win." That should give the Americans a good chance at winning. It may even push it too far the other way so you may have to dial it back from there.
JR
Fixed your error.

BTW, can you name the war which Americans won every battle they fought?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Of course it can be salvaged. ASL has numerous variables the designer can adjust. (And that is one of its greatest assets, a cornerstone to its longevity.) If the Germans are too tough, then adjust their morale and/or ELR. Can the Sherman tanks be upgraded in quality (M4A1 to M4A3E2)? Maybe add a 8-1 armor leader to one of the TDs or tanks. (Hope the playtesters remembered to make use of the smoke dischargers, smoke mortars and smoke pots on the America AFVs.)
thanks, pretty sure it was only the M4A1 in Southern France at that time but I could well be wrong
happy to have another go and change things in the hope that it can salvage the scenario, I have to admit I thought it would be a walkover for the Americans really

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am very confused by this. To adjust the scenario, change the VC to read, "The Americans win." That should give the Americans a good chance at winning. It may even push it too far the other way so you may have to dial it back from there.

JR
That would work :D thanks :cool:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope you can playback my logfiles Alan. They'll show you why the Americans need some help in this one. The scenario isn't dead, just needs a little doctoring.

Allan

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks for that, not dead yet, yaaaaaay
can't read your logfiles though, erk:mad::D

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,
thanks for asking, have to be honest and say nope, I haven't been able to get any games in with anyone so no playtesting has been done by me. The playtesting that was done seemed to go okay but I couldn't read the notes as it was all in VASSAL and I cant seem to get that to load