could this be a viable scenario

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Been digging through a particular book for ages now looking for potential scenarios, finally got one (right down to identification of the German unit involved) but it looks a bit one sided

do you guys think this could make for a viable scenario or not?

4 squads of germans
with an HMG and 2 pak 40's manning a roadblock all set up HIP
against a lot of Americans - 6 MMC,1 jeep, 1 medium truck, 2 shermans, 4 M10 tank destroyers and 2 M8 SPG

Americans need to exit off board to win

I wrote it out and figured it might still be playable, you never know the Germans might get rate

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If you set the VC high enough, any scenario can be unwinnable by either side. The more important question is, can you make it an interesting/fun scenario? As you describe above, it sounds like the Americans get to do a lot and the German don't get to do much. But with the right design you might change that.

JR

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only way is give it a few playlists yourself. Make adjustments - if the ROF is too high make it a MMG. Depending on the scenario I have done up to double digits of playtests versus a variety of different players.

When play testing any scenario the first job should be to try and break it - make sure there is nothing that in itself makes it one-sided or takes away the Fun factor. Then look to refining the details - remember adding or deleting turns can change the feel of the scenario as well as those minor adjustments to the OOB or SSRs.

Otherwise there is no reason that what you are showing above could not work.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks guys, reckon it at least deserves a playtest then, just to try it out
seems very heavily balanced in the Americans favour (as it was in real life) but I'd like to give it a bash and see if maybe a scenario can be had out of it

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
thanks guys, reckon it at least deserves a playtest then, just to try it out
seems very heavily balanced in the Americans favour (as it was in real life) but I'd like to give it a bash and see if maybe a scenario can be had out of it
I'm not sure what you mean by being balanced in American favour if you have no VC, no game length, no map & setup and no SSRs. Perhaps you mean it isn't much fun for the Germans, and that might be true. But until you set the other scenario pieces, one can't even speculate about game balance. There are plenty of scenarios where one side can be wiped out to a man and still win the scenario. That sort of ending tends not to be much fun, but it could work.

JR

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Make it a Japanese roadblock with tank hunting heroes and JR will like it more!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If your going to make the scenario that small, why not just have you and your opponent make a DR roll to see who wins?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry old boy, but I could care less what this guy designs, obviously you do so put money where your mouth is and help him playtest it. Personally, I do not playtest silly little scenario designs, thats for chumps like you.

Jealousy is not becoming on you. Perhaps he can pull it off.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sorry old boy, but I could care less what this guy designs, obviously you do so put money where your mouth is and help him playtest it. Personally, I do not playtest silly little scenario designs, thats for chumps like you.
If he sends it to one of the publishers I playtest for, I may do so. For someone who could care less you seem to make an inordinate amount of effort reading threads mentioning other designers and replying to the threads. What's that behind you, Scott? I think it may be a little green monster.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
What's that behind you, Scott? I think it may be a little green monster.
May be this one? :sick:

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Dude, thats all you play are small scenarios so this one should be old hat, half a board, a few squads and your happier then a pig in shit
Yep, that's why when I went to ASLOK this year (unlike some persons whose names I won't mention, but it rhymes with Spott) I only played a CG.

JR

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm not sure what you mean by being balanced in American favour if you have no VC, no game length, no map & setup and no SSRs. Perhaps you mean it isn't much fun for the Germans, and that might be true. But until you set the other scenario pieces, one can't even speculate about game balance. There are plenty of scenarios where one side can be wiped out to a man and still win the scenario. That sort of ending tends not to be much fun, but it could work.

JR
thanks, I just figured that the Germans were totally outgunned you know, in real life the Americans basically took out one gun and sent them fleeing
just seems so many more Americans in the countermix (and a lot of armor) than there is Germans. my victory condition is for the Americans to exit off the board (they were pursuing the Germans fleeing out of Southern France) but I haven't quite figured out how many Americans need to exit yet

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If your going to make the scenario that small, why not just have you and your opponent make a DR roll to see who wins?
That's fair comment too, I guess I just like small scenarios (although, as I say, there seems to be an awful lot of Americans in this scenario, at least when compared to the Germans)

Maybe it won't work, I dunno, I can always put it aside and keep poring over the book looking for something else
(Oh, it's DAY OF THE PANZER by JEFF DANBY, good book)

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry this thread got so negative
I was just trying to put this scenario idea out there is all so that I could maybe get an idea if it was worth rolling with and playing with my buddies
I didn't mean for anybody to get antagonistic and argumentative, so sorry guys

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like small scenarios like this to play solitaire. Gives me a chance to increase my rules knowledge and experiment with different tactics. I'm preparing for that day when I will finally have more time to devote to live play either FtF or online w/Skype. Going to a tournament or 10 is definitely on my bucket list. I'd playtest this one Alan.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was just trying to put this scenario idea out there is all so that I could maybe get an idea if it was worth rolling with and playing with my buddies
you cannot take the blame for a thread getting derailed - unfortunately this occurs often on these forums.

your premise was straight forward and a good topic to discuss.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely not your fault. Look past it. I’d be interested in seeing your design for reasons I mentioned up post.

Al