Could someone please explain the current state of D&D

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
d20 successes and failures

One d20 project that will probably be deemed a failure was the foray into Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time world. Core book an one 'module'. end.

I thought based on the voracious consumption of his books that the RPG would do better. I have it and it looks good (although I don't get to play it).

Maybe others can tell Don of other d20 successes or failures?

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sometimes a core game manual comes out, but there is really no interest beyond making a book just so you can roleplay in the world of the book topic.

There is a core book for

Wheel Of Time
Star Wars
Star Trek
Stargate

To name just a few quick examples.

Hell I even have the core book for roleplaying in the anime world of Sailormoon :)

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
My god, someone else mentioned the World's Largest Dungeon.

Was just going to mention it. Buddy bought this 100 dollar mega money grab. In truth, it's likely a fun item, but gawd, I'd rather just use a minor program for random dungeon mapping, and make the stuff up on my own.

Maybe my being a writer at heart, and a person of too much imagination is simply not all that common.
It's really well written, interesting to read on it's own (with the maps out to follow along, of course!) There are politics, backstory, etc written for it - while you could play it Dungeon Hack style, that's not how I've been doing it. It's almost disapointing that at the rate these guys are going, they're going to barely touch half of what's in the book (and the guys in my gaming group are a pretty thourough bunch.)

With the DM needing some downtime and less than two weeks until our next gaming session, it fit the bill perfectly. When characters die, the party stumbles across others 'lost' in the dungeon (I'm not above killing off characters if they're asking for it, most of the really nasty situations in the WLD can be handled in several different ways...)

One handy bit is that monster stats are printed in the encounters themselves, and they're tweaked so that hobgoblins in room/area A won't be quite the same as room/area B. There are some text blocks/descriptions that could be read, but I primarily just read them for myself.

As for this being a money grab - we're talking about a 5.5 pound, 840 page hardcover book with 16 22x17" full-cover maps. The pages are black & white, but are pretty much packed with text. For the scale that this book was printed at, it doesn't seem that bad to me.

- Chad

PS: The book says it includes all monsters from the SRD, this isn't quite true - for example while there are dragons present, not every type of dragon is.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wik said:
As for this being a money grab - we're talking about a 5.5 pound, 840 page hardcover book with 16 22x17" full-cover maps. The pages are black & white, but are pretty much packed with text. For the scale that this book was printed at, it doesn't seem that bad to me.

- Chad

PS: The book says it includes all monsters from the SRD, this isn't quite true - for example while there are dragons present, not every type of dragon is.

I've never seen/heard of this before...where does one acquire a copy?

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whizbang1963 said:
I've never seen/heard of this before...where does one acquire a copy?
I had a local shop order it for me (with discount it came to $85.)

Looks like you can get it for much less than that on EBAY

You could probably order it through Amazon/Borders or a local book/game store if you don't like EBAY.

AEG's WLD website

- Chad

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
Sometimes a core game manual comes out, but there is really no interest beyond making a book just so you can roleplay in the world of the book topic.
I haven't looked into their d20 versions, but West End Games certainly had more than just a core rulebook out for the Star Wars RPG (of course many of these were adventures or setting tie ins) and TFG/ADB had a few books for Prime Directive (Star Trek)

Interestingly enough you can currently buy the original Prime Directive as well as the GURPS4th edition and d20 versions (their website says a d6 version is on the way as well! :surprise: )

- Chad

Last edited:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For those interested, The World's Largest Dungeon has a companion called The World's Largest City.

My friend that has the WLD book also wants to get the other city one as well.

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
For those interested, The World's Largest Dungeon has a companion called The World's Largest City.
I thought this one didn't exist yet? Or did it just come out while I wasn't looking? And why am I suddenly reminded of the Alternate Reality games? :crosseye:

- Chad

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It might still be in the pipeline. I don't have a lot of regular access to the supply sources unfortunately.