Could Paulus have disengaged on 11-10-42?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the GAU was used on later deployments, after Desert Storm. up to the sandbox, it was the XM-213.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't roll a 12 with the XM-213/GAU 15/A for gods sakes.
if some AO rating offsets your headspacing on the timing plate, it makes a downright mess out sort out. Gunners never trust the ordnanceman tag sign-off, they always triple check their own timing plates.

:D

mooreshawnm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When we left whatever shitty FOB we were on at the end we flew out on Chinooks to Anaconda. Sand bagged bunker on the ramp sporting MGs and MGs on the sides. I didn't look closely and assumed they were 240s. I had no idea you guys were packing that kind of fire power.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When we left whatever shitty FOB we were on at the end we flew out on Chinooks to Anaconda. Sand bagged bunker on the ramp sporting MGs and MGs on the sides. I didn't look closely and assumed they were 240s. I had no idea you guys were packing that kind of fire power.
Somalia ROE were no fire unless a firearm / SW could be seen engaging you. Amazing how many times EVERYONE in a helo stick, pax included, saw rifle fire incoming. ;)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the 46 flew with "light" MGs in the windows. the Hueys could mount damm near anything you wanted. My fav there was the GAU-2A minigun. Pretty awesome, but the best I ever saw was a scout sniper detachment strapped prone to the floor of the Huey, it was in left bank about 2000 feet AGL above us, near the wadis around Baidoa, and the kill shot came from a Barrett M 82 bolt action . 50 cal. freaking awesome, one shot, one kill, kinetic energy reduced bullet drop to almost nil. Nothing like using old Isaac Newton to do the work for you.

mooreshawnm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read a book when I was young called Chicken Hawk (I think) about choppers in Vietnam. That was all I needed to know....no way was I going aviation!!!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read a book when I was young called Chicken Hawk (I think) about choppers in Vietnam. That was all I needed to know....no way was I going aviation!!!
The rotor head is held on with a spanner nut about 3 feet in diameter, torqued on and with 13 lock-bolts in place all torqued on as well and safety-wired. If it came loose in flight, well, its 32 feet per second, squared, until impact. ;)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D=Vt+1/2at^2=quick stop
Great movie quote

Last edited: