Could anyone help me rewrite and tidy up this SSR please?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey Guys,
Got a scenario which I've just about finished playtesting for Pete Phillips and VIEW FROM THE TRENCHES
it's called 'Lucky in Lind' and I think it's fun

I have a problem though, I have an SSR which allows for the British to get some 'free' smoke to help ensure that they can cross an open road
towards the victory buildings. I don't think I have written it very well though, I was hoping you guys might be kind enough to help me tidy it up?

For what it's worth the Brits only have one 2" mortar

6. Prior to any fire in any British turn, Prep Fire Phase, the British player may, in lieu of attempting to fire Smoke from his mortar capable of firing, opt instead to place one full-strength Smoke counter in the LOS and Normal Range of that mortar. Subsequently the mortar is marked with a no smoke counter.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi, thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated

That is a good question, I hadn't given that much thought to be honest, does it consume all ROF? I guess it probably should

Malfunction is a good question, if it can still malfunction then the smoke clearly isn't guaranteed so I guess it probably should ignore a malfunction in this case

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
At the beginning of any British Prep Fire Phase, the British player may mark a mortar capable of firing SMOKE as if it has fired and place one full-strength SMOKE counter in the LOS and Normal Range of that Mortar. No dice are rolled, the mortar will not Malfunction during this process, and ROF is NA.

That work? -- jim

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
At the beginning of any British Prep Fire Phase, the British player may mark a mortar capable of firing SMOKE as if it has fired and place one full-strength SMOKE counter in the LOS and Normal Range of that Mortar. No dice are rolled, the mortar will not Malfunction during this process, and ROF is NA.

That work? -- jim
Ooh, I like it :) Think I can roll with that, thanks very much for your help here

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

That work? -- jim
Need to add that the Smoke is also depleted?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Need to add that the Smoke is also depleted?
I would just allow the invocation of this SSR to happen only X times per game as determined by play testing. -- jim

EDIT to add: Rather than that, you could put X SMOKE counters in the sides OB and let him invoke SSR to place those counters on the map. -- jim

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would just allow the invocation of this SSR to happen only X times per game as determined by play testing. -- jim
Ah, I'll need to add SMOKE is Depleted then I guess, it's only supposed to be used the one time
(we've pretty much finished the playtesting on this one, least I think so, it's up to Pete if he's happy with it or not really)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Ah, I'll need to add SMOKE is Depleted then I guess, it's only supposed to be used the one time
(we've pretty much finished the playtesting on this one, least I think so, it's up to Pete if he's happy with it or not really)
If it's only needed on Turn 1, then add that. If it's only to be used once per mortar, add the SMOKE counters as I said above. -- jim

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Got it I think
just reworded it thus -

At the beginning of any one British Prep Fire Phase...

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If it's only needed on Turn 1, then add that. If it's only to be used once per mortar, add the SMOKE counters as I said above. -- jim
It's not going to get used in game turn one as the British are too far back but it is just a one off use

As I say, do you think this covers it then?

At the beginning of any one British Prep Fire Phase...

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Found it.

Scenario J138 POINT TO MAKE.

SSR 4:
Prior to any fire in British Player Turn 1 Prep Fire Phase, the British player
may, in lieu of attempting to fire Smoke from any mortar capable of firing,
opt instead to place one full-strength Smoke counter in the LOS and Normal
Range of that mortar. Doing so causes that mortar to deplete its Smoke ammunition
and be marked with a Prep Fire counter. No DR is made. A maximum
of two Smoke counters may be placed using this method.