Corregidor - NOBA Direct Fire

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CtR 7.3 says in part “...When using a designated onboard observer to direct NOBA Direct Fire, LOS must exist between the target hex/location and the onboard observer, in addition to a LOF existing between the target hex/location and the shipboard observer's hex.”

The ASLRB index describes LOF (Line of Fire) as the LOS along which an attack has been traced.

This sounds like both the onboard and shipboard observer would have to have a LOS to the target, but then why bother with an onboard observer? Can someone explain how the LOF works?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CtR 7.3 says in part “...When using a designated onboard observer to direct NOBA Direct Fire, LOS must exist between the target hex/location and the onboard observer, in addition to a LOF existing between the target hex/location and the shipboard observer's hex.”

The ASLRB index describes LOF (Line of Fire) as the LOS along which an attack has been traced.

This sounds like both the onboard and shipboard observer would have to have a LOS to the target, but then why bother with an onboard observer? Can someone explain how the LOF works?
LOF is the ability to hit the target hex without encountering an obstacle which would place the target hex in a blind hex, but LOS may not actually exist to the target hex for the offboard ship observer because SMOKE or other environmental/terrain factors are causing +6 or greater hinderances (as smoke and terrain hinderances apply normally to NOBA Direct Fire). Using an onboard designated observer can get around LOS limitations of the offboard observer location being unable to 'see' the target hex. Otherwise, yes, if both observers can actually see (have eyes on) the target hex, having an onboard observer spot for you doesn't buy you anything.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did not think you had a choice--if you selected 7-0 with radio for your NOBA as observer you do not get a SBO. Am I wrong about this? Seems kind of cheesy if you get both types of observer with each NOBA module. In our CG I have ~23 leaders for ~40 MMCs. Granted, my leaders have not been dying a lot but getting 2 extra 7-0s per day with my NOBA purchases is starting to add up since they remain in play after the NOBA is long gone.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did not think you had a choice--if you selected 7-0 with radio for your NOBA as observer you do not get a SBO. Am I wrong about this? Seems kind of cheesy if you get both types of observer with each NOBA module. In our CG I have ~23 leaders for ~40 MMCs. Granted, my leaders have not been dying a lot but getting 2 extra 7-0s per day with my NOBA purchases is starting to add up since they remain in play after the NOBA is long gone.
You do not get both for each module. Either one or the other. The Offboard Observer location with an onboard observer is treated as the location of the ship (plus 5 hexes).

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOF is the ability to hit the target hex without encountering an obstacle which would place the target hex in a blind hex, but LOS may not actually exist to the target hex for the offboard ship observer because SMOKE or other environmental/terrain factors are causing +6 or greater hinderances (as smoke and terrain hinderances apply normally to NOBA Direct Fire). Using an onboard designated observer can get around LOS limitations of the offboard observer location being unable to 'see' the target hex. Otherwise, yes, if both observers can actually see (have eyes on) the target hex, having an onboard observer spot for you doesn't buy you anything.
By "blind hex" do you mean those described in the reverse slope rules of G14.66?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then at what level is the shipboard observer? My NOBA Direct Fire Observer Location counter says level 2, but you would not be able to see much of the map at that level.
That is correct. He won't. Indirect NOBA offboard observer will be at level 3 (see US RG note i) or using on onboard observer.