Corona Virus and ASL

Status
Not open for further replies.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Today measures have been implemented in Germany that will basically shut down public and social life:

Borders closed, schools, kinder-gardens, bars, restaurants, cinemas, theaters, museums, sports clubs, fitness studios, hotels, libraries, universities, fairs, conventions, church services, visiting hospitals / old peoples homes, etc. ...
Basically, you'll be able to buy food, gas, and medication.

The situation is pretty similar for the other EU countries. Hardly anyone would have believed this happening less than a week ago. I wonder, for how long this will continue.

That's pretty damn stark stuff...

It would surprise me if the same won't happen in the US pretty soon.
So take the hint and some precautions without raising panic.

That said, choices to spend free time are now quite limited here. It won't be long until this has repercussions on my hobbies. Some are now simply impossible from one day to the other.

I am honestly quite happy that there is VASL because this will be a way to play ASL in the time to come. That's at least one nice way to spend free time besides reading while other things fall away.

Roll low and stay healthy!
von Marwitz

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
VASL rocks.
  • Worldwide opponents at all points of the clock
  • No wasted time travelling to venues. Fast transition to other activities before/after
  • My wife knows where I am (talking to old guys on the computer) - she's happy.
  • No punching counters, no clipping, no sorting, no re-sorting.
  • No dealing with other people's families
  • No need to clean up afterwards.
  • No need to pull (and to take off) different info counters from your trays
  • Easy "storage" of unfinished games / CGs
All my games on VASL. All the time.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Apparently the Corona virus doesn't survive too long on paper and cardboard, something like an hour as opposed to multiple hours on glass, metal, etc. At my speed of play that should keep me and any opponent somewhat safe. Separate dice and towers/glasses though.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wait, I thought your opponents were an array of cats each with different ASL skill sets...so they swop out depending on phase and weapons etc...you mean you play a non-feline OPFOR? There is no known record of X player vs. Paul M. Weir is there? I mean if there was you could be like a little tourist ASL destination...I played Paul at a pub in Dublin where we agreed to meet...be epic...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently the Corona virus doesn't survive too long on paper and cardboard, something like an hour as opposed to multiple hours on glass, metal, etc. At my speed of play that should keep me and any opponent somewhat safe. Separate dice and towers/glasses though.
And a Happy St. Pattie's Day to ya as well!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Wait, I thought your opponents were an array of cats each with different ASL skill sets...so they swop out depending on phase and weapons etc...you mean you play a non-feline OPFOR? There is no known record of X player vs. Paul M. Weir is there? I mean if there was you could be like a little tourist ASL destination...I played Paul at a pub in Dublin where we agreed to meet...be epic...
You know I am not adverse to hypothetical scenarios and what I described is hypothetical.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In scenarios on very large/blown up boards, you can keep the social distance of 2 metres.

Maybe a designer needs to step into this gap.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess some people never grow out of having invisible friends. ;)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A thing I came across on the radio the morning on the most respected news channel here in Germany:

Due to Corona, people go crazy and start panic buys.

In the US, they go for guns and ammo. ?‍☠
(Don't let the virus kill you...)

In Germany, they go for toilet paper. ?
(Being a German, this is a mortifying embarrassment to me. But it is true, I witnessed it...)

In France, they go for condoms and wine... :love:
(Now, THAT is what I call 'savoir vivre' in times of crisis!)

The definitive winners are the French! You gotta love them.
Vive la France! ??

To save my honor, I have to assure that both the number of condoms and bottles of wine exceed the number of rolls of toilet paper I keep at my place.

But as an ASLer, I have been to the store and hoarded three dozen dice cups and 20 tweezers.
You gotta be on the safe side after all...

von Marwitz

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here in America I've seen at least one report of a fight over toilet paper in a store.

Looks like our weekly meetings at local game stores here in southern California are now on hiatus :(

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here in America I've seen at least one report of a fight over toilet paper in a store.

Looks like our weekly meetings at local game stores here in southern California are now on hiatus :(
I don't understand the craze over toilet paper.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Are you all out fighting for toilet paper instead of playing ASL?!! You need to get your priorities set straight! ;-)

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I don't understand the craze over toilet paper.
Mothers making panic buys of extra TP for home now that the kids are out of school. Other people saw the shortage of TP and now stores are little staple foods in stock.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Mothers making panic buys of extra TP for home now that the kids are out of school. Other people saw the shortage of TP and now stores are little staple foods in stock.
It´s quite simple. TP has low profit and takes up a lot of space. Doesn´t take much people to temporarily deplete local shop supply but it is hardly a essential product and not a product that is likely to be out of stock (unless it has ASL printed on it - in that case it´d be sold out immediately after a 3 year pre-order period)

/S

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
(unless it has ASL printed on it - in that case it´d be sold out immediately after a 3 year pre-order period)
Dang! Propose that to MMP quickly.
They'll get rich, can buy a warehouse, can reprint and stock all stuff they ever had in creation paid for by merely the interest of the profits of the TP sale. Probably, you would be in for all MMP's publications free for a lifetime...

von Marwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.