Corona Virus and ASL

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A theory on why California is so much lower is that the virus was here much earlier. I myself had almost exact Chinese Virus symptoms in late January as did a lot of my co-workers. A guy I play hockey with that the same thing at the same time and it went through his company also.

It's a theory. I'd love to be tested for the anti-bodies.
I played ASL with one of your co-workers in early January...didn't come up with any symptoms though. Would love for you to be tested as well!

"Something is going on that we haven't quite found out yet," said Victor Davis Hanson a senior fellow with Stanford's Hoover Institute.

Hanson said he thinks it is possible COVID-19 has been spreading among Californians since the fall when doctors reported an early flu season in the state. During that same time, California was welcoming as many as 8,000 Chinese nationals daily into our airports. Some of those visitors even arriving on direct flights from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in China."

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played ASL with one of your co-workers in early January...didn't come up with any symptoms though. Would love for you to be tested as well!

"Something is going on that we haven't quite found out yet," said Victor Davis Hanson a senior fellow with Stanford's Hoover Institute.

Hanson said he thinks it is possible COVID-19 has been spreading among Californians since the fall when doctors reported an early flu season in the state. During that same time, California was welcoming as many as 8,000 Chinese nationals daily into our airports. Some of those visitors even arriving on direct flights from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in China."
Hi Fen, He wasn't one of the staff that got sick in late Jan, even though he sits adjacent to me. Yes, I read that article too.

So far The LBC has had 6 deaths. City population of just under 500k. All were over 75, and not healthy.

I'm thinking of wearing what's in my avatar when I go out

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Sorry, but I think your news is faulty.
We, in Georgia, have been under a shelter in place for nearly a week.
Parts of the state: Atlanta, Savannah, etc., have been under it longer.
Governor Brian Kemp on Thursday last ordered Georgia's state parks and beaches reopened. Due to the firestorm that that generated he is "considering new options", so that might be rescinded over the next few days.
It really made a mockery of the his state wide stay at home order.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It's above partisan politics, it's life or death for members and their families and acquaintances. If it saves one severe hospitalisation or even a life then bugger if it treads on the no politics rule. Life or death!
Good to see the analysis. Having said that, this was and is the problem with the rule, it is unevenly enforced leading to the appearance of SPAMETO. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps Canadian hospitals do their discharges in the morning but that is certainly not the case in any US hospital I've worked at. Typically MDs round in the mornings and write DC orders. Then the discharge planners jump into the picture. RNs need to do DC education. Transport is arranged if necessary, etc. It was very unusual to get admitted patients out the door before lunch.
I briefly worked for a company where we analyzed discharges. We found that RN's tended to do discharges as early in their shift as they could but delayed notifying housekeeping about it until the end of their shift. This ensured the bed was not readied during their shift and lightened their workload. We also did some analysis on where they spent their time (menu orders, education videos, informed consent stuff, contacting housekeeping for patients with room issues, etc). We then wrote an application that lightened their other work, and improved bedflow through the system. It was a significant impact on the systems bottom line (the more the beds are occupied, the more the hospital was generating revenue) and significantly decreased the time nurses spent on the administrative BS they had to handle and allowed them to focus on patient care. When nurses realized we had automated the delivery of educational content (no need to wheel in a TV and VHS) and could administer all the testing needed to ensure compliance with informed consent, we had "won". We added in the ability to allow patients to order their own menu. Routed that through a dietitian to ensure only menu items they should be allowed showed on their menus. We were able to "lock" a TV down if the patient had to do some educational content so they couldn't "forget" and have to do it later. We could even ping the nurses pager if a patient had content he/she were supposed to complete but hadn't within a timeline they configured. We freed nurses to do what they do best. Once they began helping us identify new features, we really hit our stride. We could easily show how the money spent on our program was impacting the bottom line and the nurses were our biggest supporters. Then 9/11 hit and things changed for me. Back to the .gov and I have been there ever since. The company is still doing well though. -- jim

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Good to see the analysis. Having said that, this was and is the problem with the rule, it is unevenly enforced leading to the appearance of SPAMETO. -- jim
If it wasn't such a deadly serious thing, I'd totally agree. We are faced by a once a century natural disaster that we can aggravate or ameliorate by both our individual actions and the messages that we impart to those in our lives or can influence. Information about what state/country X is doing better than Y and worse than Z can inform our individual actions, might help to avoid suffering. Things like how severe a shutdown should you follow, are masks a good idea (individual's protection vs shortages for responders/medical staff), etc, etc. Is the level of intubation excessive? IE what works and what doesn't. Yes.

Bernie's vs Biden, etc, etc - No!

Last edited:

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul,

The article below has more information.
Yes, it doesn't make sense to allow the beaches to remain open with the shelter in place order, except for those that live on the beaches. What is concerning to me is the possibility of people from NY and NJ coming in as mentioned in the article. In my county there were zero cases for a good bit. Then 2 New Yorkers with it and having a "second home" here, decided to come here to their second homes and then they were the first two cases in our county, and it spread from there.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/georgia/articles/2020-04-08/kemp-to-extend-georgia-state-of-emergency-through-may-13

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I briefly worked for a company where we analyzed discharges. We found that RN's tended to do discharges as early in their shift as they could but delayed notifying housekeeping about it until the end of their shift. This ensured the bed was not readied during their shift and lightened their workload. We also did some analysis on where they spent their time (menu orders, education videos, informed consent stuff, contacting housekeeping for patients with room issues, etc). We then wrote an application that lightened their other work, and improved bedflow through the system. It was a significant impact on the systems bottom line (the more the beds are occupied, the more the hospital was generating revenue) and significantly decreased the time nurses spent on the administrative BS they had to handle and allowed them to focus on patient care. When nurses realized we had automated the delivery of educational content (no need to wheel in a TV and VHS) and could administer all the testing needed to ensure compliance with informed consent, we had "won". We added in the ability to allow patients to order their own menu. Routed that through a dietitian to ensure only menu items they should be allowed showed on their menus. We were able to "lock" a TV down if the patient had to do some educational content so they couldn't "forget" and have to do it later. We could even ping the nurses pager if a patient had content he/she were supposed to complete but hadn't within a timeline they configured. We freed nurses to do what they do best. Once they began helping us identify new features, we really hit our stride. We could easily show how the money spent on our program was impacting the bottom line and the nurses were our biggest supporters. Then 9/11 hit and things changed for me. Back to the .gov and I have been there ever since. The company is still doing well though. -- jim
Very interesting, thank you.

I worked for the patient transport department of EMS here. As it was explained to me, the biggest delay in our system was the doctors who refused to do their rounds early in the morning, despite the effects it had on discharges, which in turn affected the space in the emergency room, which caused long waits for patients in hallways, and the reduced availability of ambulances resulting in Code Reds (lack of ambulances available to respond to emergencies) with a lot of frequency. I've been here since 2012 and seen a number of initiatives to reduce these stresses on the system, but the incentives for hospitals, doctors, nurses and EMS to play nice with each other just never seem to be there. In one instance, the creation of 'flow nurses' to help facilitate the flow of patients through the system and release EMS back to the community was seen as a way to get more RNs into vacation time so the spots for these extra RNs were filled, and promptly used to book the nurses off on vacation time, since they were accumulating so much extra time off in lieu of overtime. With EMS left to pick up the slack by waiting in hospitals with newly arrived patients before transfer of care.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In northern Europe, it is worthwhile noting that Sweden registers around 800 fatalities, while neighbouring Norway and Finland register respectively around 100 and 50 fatalities. Sweden is one of a few countries with a relatively relaxed approach. I understand schools, cafes and restaurants are still open.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Very interesting, thank you.

I worked for the patient transport department of EMS here. As it was explained to me, the biggest delay in our system was the doctors who refused to do their rounds early in the morning, despite the effects it had on discharges, which in turn affected the space in the emergency room, which caused long waits for patients in hallways, and the reduced availability of ambulances resulting in Code Reds (lack of ambulances available to respond to emergencies) with a lot of frequency. I've been here since 2012 and seen a number of initiatives to reduce these stresses on the system, but the incentives for hospitals, doctors, nurses and EMS to play nice with each other just never seem to be there. In one instance, the creation of 'flow nurses' to help facilitate the flow of patients through the system and release EMS back to the community was seen as a way to get more RNs into vacation time so the spots for these extra RNs were filled, and promptly used to book the nurses off on vacation time, since they were accumulating so much extra time off in lieu of overtime. With EMS left to pick up the slack by waiting in hospitals with newly arrived patients before transfer of care.
I would suggest looking at the numbers. Bed flow doesn't lie. Once you know where the bottle necks are, you can sort out the reasons. In conversations with the nursing staff, it turned out all the administration was killing them. So in order to avoid that, they would not turn beds over to housekeeping until the end of their shift. We took people out of the flow as much as we could. It worked better. Engaging with the nurses was the turning point. They are like Army NCO's, the backbone of the system. Winning them over was a must. -- jim

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got notification that my company is withholding 401(k) matches for foreseeable future. They already announced no merit raises, bonuses, or promotions will take place in 2020. I'm very fortunate that I'm still working (for now, layoffs are rumored) but I would like to see government take this step with their employees as well in the spirit of shared sacrifice. I'm not holding my breath......

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Got notification that my company is withholding 401(k) matches for foreseeable future. They already announced no merit raises, bonuses, or promotions will take place in 2020. I'm very fortunate that I'm still working (for now, layoffs are rumored) but I would like to see government take this step with their employees as well in the spirit of shared sacrifice. I'm not holding my breath......
If those government employees are unionized, their wages and bonuses (which are probably paltry to begin with) are governed by contract.

I realize every jurisdiction is different, but here, health and other government workers have gotten modest (like 0% and 1%) wage increases in the last few years (which is not keeping pace with the cost of living), and management (exempt) staff have been frozen for years.

If you're asking for layoffs, not sure what good it would do to put even more people on the street right now.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Not much of a consolidation, but the damage will be so bad that everyone will shoulder part of it. In november through your ballot you will be deciding who should comparatively suffer more than others. It won't be pretty as one can imagine.

(unless the U.S. military invokes CoG and puts an end to all these lively exchanges but this is still a far-fetched scenario. For now.)

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If those government employees are unionized, their wages and bonuses (which are probably paltry to begin with) are governed by contract.

I realize every jurisdiction is different, but here, health and other government workers have gotten modest (like 0% and 1%) wage increases in the last few years (which is not keeping pace with the cost of living), and management (exempt) staff have been frozen for years.

If you're asking for layoffs, not sure what good it would do to put even more people on the street right now.
not asking for layoffs but if private companies are holding the match government can too.

Status
Not open for further replies.