Corner Cutting

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve cut literally tens of thousands of counters using those cutters folks talked me into buying and precision clippers. Not once was a counter ruined by the clippers, I quit using those purpose built things after mangling a few dozen counters.
With practice and a good set of clippers like those in the picture I posted I’m 5 times faster and the counters look great.

To each his own, but I’m confident in my opinion.
They use require less manual pressure, so less fatigue or risk of tendinitis. I've seen you counters, and if I could clip that evenly, I would never have moved to the Oregon clipper.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Wait, you clip counters?
It is the sign of our covenant with the Rulebook.
If you don't clip your counters, you will be clipped off from the comunity and you won't inherit the promised geoboards.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It is the sign of our covenant with the Rulebook.
If you don't clip your counters, you will be clipped off from the comunity and you won't inherit the promised geoboards.
Damn..................I always thought the covenant as only a guideline........................ you know like the rule book for pirates..............guess I am gonna have to review the 10 Commandments of ASL.............

lets see........hmmmmmm

1 Thoust shall clip all counters

damn............ they were right...........guess I better check my pension and consult how many years I have.....................

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ha, ASL-nerds!

You think you've seen it all, done it all, clipped it all?

No.

ASL and the hobby around it is so complex and great, that it is possible to come up with entirely NEW ideas even after decades...

Ok, here's one:

Who of you has ever thought about clipping your ASLRB?
Hum? Anyone?

The advantages are glaring: Everyone knows that clipped counters just look better (provided it is done by an Oregon 2mm Deluxe counter clipper, that is). The same is true for the ASLRB. And we know that most of us have multiple copies. Furthermore, if you play when it is very warm, so that you sit barefoot at the gaming-table, you won't hurt yourself as bad if the ASLRB should slip from your hand and drop onto your foot with one of the sharp corners. Rounded corners will take away some of the impact.

I am not sure yet, which variant of the Oregon clippers would be best for the purpose. 2.5mm is probably not good enough. But I am not sure if there is a 3.0mm variant or greater than that. I might have to test the results on an old ASLRB 1st edition first before moving on to the current sets of ASLRBs. One problem I have not found a solution for yet is how to clip eASLRB.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I cut the 1st edition rulebook pages to make them fit in A4 format page protectors. The closest to "clipping" the rulebook I think.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Ha, ASL-nerds!

You think you've seen it all, done it all, clipped it all?

No.

ASL and the hobby around it is so complex and great, that it is possible to come up with entirely NEW ideas even after decades...

Ok, here's one:

Who of you has ever thought about clipping your ASLRB?
Hum? Anyone?

The advantages are glaring: Everyone knows that clipped counters just look better (provided it is done by an Oregon 2mm Deluxe counter clipper, that is). The same is true for the ASLRB. And we know that most of us have multiple copies. Furthermore, if you play when it is very warm, so that you sit barefoot at the gaming-table, you won't hurt yourself as bad if the ASLRB should slip from your hand and drop onto your foot with one of the sharp corners. Rounded corners will take away some of the impact.

I am not sure yet, which variant of the Oregon clippers would be best for the purpose. 2.5mm is probably not good enough. But I am not sure if there is a 3.0mm variant or greater than that. I might have to test the results on an old ASLRB 1st edition first before moving on to the current sets of ASLRBs. One problem I have not found a solution for yet is how to clip eASLRB.

von Marwitz
There are 5mm and 10mm clippers: http://www.oregonlam.com/Corner_Rounders_Round_Radius_Cutters_Punch.html

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I drew the line here. Precision dice, custom dice towers, stacks of Raaco handyboxes. All checks.

counter clipping and that fancy stuff to do it? nah. Sticking with nailclippers

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I drew the line here. Precision dice, custom dice towers, stacks of Raaco handyboxes. All checks.

counter clipping and that fancy stuff to do it? nah. Sticking with nailclippers
You have to draw the line at only a little madness! Totally understand.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, your gonna have to go some to break the Oregon handle!

I also like the 2mm for 1/2" and the 3mm for 5/8" . Using 3mm for vehicles makes them fit completely in a hex, just. Which helps when parking them next to each other. The 2.5mm still leaves a bit of overhang to the next hex.

Seth
Interesting, I prefer the 2.5mm for 5/8" counters, because it appears to trim the same proportion as a 2mm punch cuts out of 1/2" counters. But then I hadn't considered that 5/8" counters might fit a standard hex better if trimmed with a 3mm punch.