Corner Cutting

sam500

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How are people cutting corners these days?

I have a few thousand to do.

I've been looking for the old C4 counter clippers, but they don't seem to be around anymore.
The Oregon lamination 2.5mm counter clipper has a bunch of reviews claiming the handle breaks after any significant use.

What do folks recommend for a big project.

Cheers!
Sam

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
No handle break here on the Oregon 2.5 after DaE, RS, HP, Yanks2, and FW.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
No problem with my Oregon clipper.
Choose the Deluxe version.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well as everybody knows, I have clipped more than 300K of counters with my 2mm cutter for 1/2" counters and 3mm one for my 5/8" ones , I have had both for over 4-5 years without a breakage!

sam500

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well as everybody knows, I have clipped more than 300K of counters with my 2mm cutter for 1/2" counters and 3mm one for my 5/8" ones , I have had both for over 4-5 years without a breakage!
Thanks for all the replies folks. IL give one of the Oregons a try!

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, your gonna have to go some to break the Oregon handle!

I also like the 2mm for 1/2" and the 3mm for 5/8" . Using 3mm for vehicles makes them fit completely in a hex, just. Which helps when parking them next to each other. The 2.5mm still leaves a bit of overhang to the next hex.

Seth

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The first one I had was the new plastic one. The handle didn't break, a part inside that does the cutting broke after like two sets of counters. They were going to send me a new one but I told him to send me the old metal one. I used it for couple more sets and the spring broke in it. I put the spring from a unistrut spring nut in it and it fit really well and has worked fine ever since. It has done at least 15 sets with the new spring. LOL, what a story but true!

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The first one I had was the new plastic one. The handle didn't break, a part inside that does the cutting broke after like two sets of counters. They were going to send me a new one but I told him to send me the old metal one. I used it for couple more sets and the spring broke in it. I put the spring from a unistrut spring nut in it and it fit really well and has worked fine ever since. It has done at least 15 sets with the new spring. LOL, what a story but true!
I didn't know there are new ones and old ones. Do they look the same outwardly? Here is the type I have.

Seth

Attachments

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing I like about the Oregon trimmers compared to scissors or nail clippers is that is is effectively a jig to position the counter and get uniform cuts on the counters.

Seth

Warbear

Reaction score
First name
Ernst
Country
llGermany

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
uuuuh, what?
Clipper blades move forward slightly as they close, so you can't keep the counter perfectly level with them when cutting each corner, let alone for every other counter clipped, so you end up with sloppy sloped corners of various diameters. It looks worse then not clipping IMO. <G>

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
I use a 2mm Oregon, due to massive bullying from the community. Does a good job but tough on arthritic joints. I recently took some flack for the untrimmed look of my armoured counters in a photo I posted from Hill of Death Monster Map edition. My defense was "nobody shaved at Stalingrad".

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clipper blades move forward slightly as they close, so you can't keep the counter perfectly level with them when cutting each corner, let alone for every other counter clipped, so you end up with sloppy sloped corners of various diameters. It looks worse then not clipping IMO. <G>
I’ve cut literally tens of thousands of counters using those cutters folks talked me into buying and precision clippers. Not once was a counter ruined by the clippers, I quit using those purpose built things after mangling a few dozen counters.
With practice and a good set of clippers like those in the picture I posted I’m 5 times faster and the counters look great.

To each his own, but I’m confident in my opinion.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
building a jig for the clippers would be fairly simple based on the plastic thing in the picture of the trimmer