"I also alternate hands (although it is slower when I do it right-handed)."

Now why do I find this statement strangely funny :devious: :D

Guess its just my sick mind at work :p

Peace

ROger

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I remember reading about someone who had set up some sort of frame where he could cut more than one counter at a time. This was years ago, so I'm not sure where I saw that. Could have been on the ASLML, Crossroads, SoCal ASL...

Obviously this would be a lot of work anyway, but you would get a consistency that's difficult to get with manual clipping.

- H

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I HATE clipped counters... :hush:

Only my two Euro-cent

da priest

Reaction score
Geesh guys it ain't a torture chamber, or speed contest.

First get a real good quality set of fingernail clippers(toenail are just too big). Grab your favorite brewskie, pick a set of infantry or 5/8s counters, sit in front of the tube and start watching your fav sport on the tellie(golf, Ami football and baseball seem to be the best for this) when the action slows: clip a few, sip a little.

Takes about two seasons of each sport to finish all the main dudes(US, Brits, Germs, Japs, Russkies) and no pain 'cause you are doing it in moderation! Remember it is The Hobby, a pleasant fun time-waster/diversion from RL(Real Life).:devil:

For those with "better" things to do with their time, don't talk to us about your 3rd storage system, 10th or 100th time thru the 300+ page Rulebook for playing with toy soldiers, months playing a cardboard cut-out CG that you never finish, or any other of the stuff that goes with our Game..it's all the same, but different. :smoke:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't like clipped counters. Not exactly sure why, either.

As a 'paper collectible' person (one who deals in postcards, photos, historical documents, postally used envelopes) and game collector there's something that seems damaging to the counters when they're clipped. I've seen some of you mention that it actually helps keep the counters from peeling, and I'm not one of those with shrink-wrapped copies of everything ASL either. Not much about ASL and the "things-it-makes-us-do" is rational after all.

Stacking isn't a problem for me and I watch sports while sipping beer without the ASL stuff out. . .

Bottom line for newbies: don't feel pressured to clip because "everyone" does it. On the other hand, if it feels like something you'd like to do and the other's reasons for doing it make sense, take the other's advice about doing it neatly and safely and have at it!

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
Geesh guys it ain't a torture chamber, or speed contest.

First get a real good quality set of fingernail clippers(toenail are just too big). Grab your favorite brewskie, pick a set of infantry or 5/8s counters, sit in front of the tube and start watching your fav sport on the tellie(golf, Ami football and baseball seem to be the best for this) when the action slows: clip a few, sip a little.

Takes about two seasons of each sport to finish all the main dudes(US, Brits, Germs, Japs, Russkies) and no pain 'cause you are doing it in moderation! Remember it is The Hobby, a pleasant fun time-waster/diversion from RL(Real Life).:devil:

For those with "better" things to do with their time, don't talk to us about your 3rd storage system, 10th or 100th time thru the 300+ page Rulebook for playing with toy soldiers, months playing a cardboard cut-out CG that you never finish, or any other of the stuff that goes with our Game..it's all the same, but different. :smoke:

I have to find myself agreeing with Ron here. I liked clipped counters and have clipped three sets of them. Like Ron mentioned, I had a good quality fingernail clipper and did them while watching the tube. It is true some of the very first counters clipped look almost like circles, but now I can do it quickly and just snip the end.

And like Jazz mentioned. it keeps some of the counters from pealing back.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
Wrong, you collect the clippings and then make a map of New Jersey.:smoke:
Actually, I collected all my clippings and gave them to my arch-nemesis, who believes counter clipping to be very evil..... I got a kick out of it. He still has them though, so I imagine he eventually will come up with something underhanded and use them to get back at me..... :crosseye:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
thebigbad said:
Actually, I collected all my clippings and gave them to my arch-nemesis, who believes counter clipping to be very evil..... I got a kick out of it. He still has them though, so I imagine he eventually will come up with something underhanded and use them to get back at me..... :crosseye:
he's saving them for when he buys a clipped copy of a module off of e(vil)-bay and can tape/glue the corners back on :D

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I made the enormous commitment to clip my counters about 4 years ago. While I was partially influenced by the look of the clipped counters, my main reason was for the problem I had with my counters from having originally punched them by hand. :surprise: (I know...I was young...) Many of my counters were separating at the corners and adjacent stacks would "grab" each other. Since clipping, I have had no additional problems with counters "grabbing" or separating (including 3rd party and playtest counters, some of which were questionable quality in the first place).

Fortunately, I was paid to clip my counters during a three-month "paid administrative leave" with my government job. :smoke: Drove my wife NUTS though! Got to be where I would have to sneak my clipping time in when she wasn't around like some kind of closet alcoholic. :)

Semper Fi!
Scott

Leftenant

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just like the look....

Basically I clip them as I use them. I think they look much better, are easier to control and do not fray. It's also therapeutic. :nuts:

karl

Lost in my own mind.
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Hi

Just out of interest can some of you clippers post a shot or two of a clipped counter? Would like to know how much is clipped.

Cheers

Karl :D

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Never, ever interested me to clip any wargame counters I ever owned. Couldn't be bothered,...then again I have steady hands and nimble fingers so I've never used tweezers either.

da priest

Reaction score
King Scott said:
... Drove my wife NUTS though! Got to be where I would have to sneak my clipping time in when she wasn't around like some kind of closet alcoholic. :)...
See this why you do it in front of tube with a game on and a brewskie, they expect to be ignored during the "season", but all it is, is camo to get the counters clipped! :laugh:

da priest

Reaction score
karl said:
Hi

Just out of interest can some of you clippers post a shot or two of a clipped counter? Would like to know how much is clipped.

Cheers

Karl :D
Hmmm...look at the VASL beta counters, just slightly rounded corners is the way to do it, minor not major surgery, circumcision vs castration...:devil:

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
See this why you do it in front of tube with a game on and a brewskie, they expect to be ignored during the "season", but all it is, is camo to get the counters clipped! :laugh:
Actually, she was more bothered that I was not working and spending "valuable time" clipping counters all day long...she couldn't understand that I was OK with getting paid to stay at home. :) She was mad at me until I won my case and got the huge settlement, especially when none of it went to lawyers. :D

Semper Fi!
Scott

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
King Scott said:
Actually, she was more bothered that I was not working and spending "valuable time" clipping counters all day long...she couldn't understand that I was OK with getting paid to stay at home. :) She was mad at me until I won my case and got the huge settlement, especially when none of it went to lawyers.

That just seems totally unfair.....the lawyer part I mean

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the look and feel of counters when they are clipped. I also believe it does prevent some stacks from catching on others and knocking them down.

As I age though, I am finding my hand and wrist hurts more as I use toenail clippers to do the job. I am looking forward to owning the two new modules I just ordered from MMP but not to the counter clipping I invariably feel obligated to accomplish now.

ziceman

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I realised I had gone too far when my wife asked me why I was keeping the clippings in a tin!

I've got to get out more!!

Regards
Dave