Coolest PC Game

Priest

Reaction score
What is the coolest PC game that you have ever owned? This game may not be the best or the goriest, but, I was just fun to watch. For me it was Sierra's old Civil War Generals, it had live footage from various civil war re-enactment groups. So when you engaged say calvery units you wouls see live action footage of the calvery units engaging. Or if you fired your cannons a live action movie of cannoneers shooting their cannons would play. Civil War Generals may not have been the best ACW game ever made....but it was fun to watch.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hmmm...tricky.

Off the top of my head, the original TIE Fighter game would have to be a strong contender for sheer playability and total immersion in the subject matter.

The first Commandos game had a ludicrous amount of detail in it that just made it fab' to look at - and helped me finish it despite my intense frustration when things went wrong!

Ever played Combat Mission (any of them) with a large projector shining on the wall for your screen? Now that's impressive - not sure why, but it really adds a new dimension to the proceedings - must borrow that machine again sometime...

But, "coolest" game ever for me, the one game that I would load up just to marvel at how pretty it was - Klingon Academy. Yes, call me sad, but I used to love zooming in to see the burning decks of a Constitution Class ship that I've just blown huge chunks out of. Marvellous.

Dr. S.

Last edited:

Editor

Armchair General Editor
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best Game Ever

My choice for best game ever is Panzer General 1. Hey, what do you guys think of the latest ICS story? COL Antal, USA (Ret)

suchey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Operation Flashpoint...hands down. The modding community really took hold and made that game shine. The fact that it was among the first titles to allow for a nice injection of realism in the tactical shooter/vehicle genre of games made it a huge winner in my book.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There were many cool games that were a lot of fun. Back in the Commador 64 days Micro-prose made stunningly detailed Combat Flight sims for its time.

Combat Mission was the first tactical game that ever gave me the feeling of "being there!" Much like watching Saving Private Ryan for the first time.

BCT/ATF was the first military simulation that did the same thing. Makes you feel like your are actually commanding a "real" military excercise.

Shooter: Half Life!

Some honorable mentions...
HomeWorld 1: excellent sound effects, graphics and space warfware.

Operation Flashpoint, MOH, and Call of Duty were all excellent shooters.

Last edited:

Panzer-War

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it is difficult to pick one game as best as there are many different categories of games. I don’t believe you can compare an fps to a war game.

Operational/War game: COW

Tactical/War game: Close Combat 2-3(old Favorites of mine)

Turn Based/War game: Panzer General II (While I like the first one I believe the second one is better and still have it on my pc)

FPS: Half life(Note Half Life 2 is on the way :cheeky: )

RTS: hands down Home World one (Compelling story, Great sound, Very good graphics for the time, Very good game play) :thumup:

Strategic/RTS: Total war series

A few for now.

Full Monty

Reaction score
Country
ll
Would be either 'Earth 2150' or 'Warrior Kings'. I've never made much progress playing either but I really enjoy just watching the games in progress.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My list and in no real order:

Operation Flashpoint
Ghost Recon
IL-2 Sturmovik
Aces of the Pacific
Aces over Europe
Close Combat
Call of Duty
Mechwarrior 2 and 3
X-Wing Fighter
Panzer Elite
Combat Mission (ALL OF THEM)
Lords of the Realm 1
Total War: Japan
Harpoon
GTA: Vice City

That's all I can remember right now.

BigMik1

Patrocles

Reaction score
For me it was/is definitely the first computer game I ever bought: The F-16 flightsim Falcon3. The great graphics, dynamic campaign (still a rarity these days), multiplayer, and level of detail, ease of entry for newbies (like myself), led to a great bargain for moi!

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
coolest games... well, for their time...
Bard's Tale (and II and III)
Sim City (and 2000)
Airborne Ranger
Pirates
Civ (and II)
A-10 Tank Killer
SMAC
Doom (and follow ups)
MOO and MOO II
MOHAA (D-Day missions... nuff said)
C&C (especially the Red Alert series)
Half-Life
Harpoon
Mechwarrior (up through IV)
Steel Panthers (II and III at least)
Perfect General
Shadow President/Cyber Judas
Nukewar! :devil:
Wasteland
Castle Wolfenstein (the original)
Aztec
Fallout
Castle Adventure... I wasted DAYS ON END playing that...
Might and Magic (I and II at least)
Ultima IV
AvP 2

JeremyScott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember the old Aces Over Europe and Aces of The Pacific. Many an hour was wasted blasting away at aircraft and bombing stuff. Also 1942: Pacific Air War was very cool back in its day. The Battleground Series from Talonsoft that included 9 different campaigns from the times of the Southern Revolution and the Age of Sail were my introduction to the genre of wargaming and to this day remain some of the coolest games I have laid my eyes on.

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Close Combat series aswell. The game I will always remember.

Also Gunship on my Amstrad 464.

Now its Squad Battles eries. I love em.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A lot of games that were listed I think were great (especially the Fallout ones) but in choose a single coolest game, I stand by my response of Doom. I don't think any game ever amazed as much (I was pretty young when it came out though, and it was my first full game, although I had played Wolfenstein a lot before it, I only had the first episode).