Converting SK Scenarios to Full ASL?

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there an easy way to convert SK scenarios to full ASL? I understand there would be balance issues with straight conversions, and some additional SRs would probably need to be added/modified. Several of the scenarios in the new ASLSK BP#2 look like fun, but I'd prefer to play them in a regular ASL version. I think there have been a few scenarios in the past that have been published in both versions. Also, at least one third party product (Rally Point) has published ASLSK scenarios with full ASL add-on rules noted in italics. Not sure how much additional work (obviously additional playtesting would be involved) that would be for the MMP scenarios. Maybe an AP with converted SK scenarios?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Two Rally Point scenario packs have scenarios which can be played SK and full ASL.
I think that Zon with the Wind is a SK interpretation of a previous Full ASL scenario : perhaps are there others in that case?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Zon with the Wind is an ASL Annual scenario. 88s at Zon is the ASLSK version.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry about the double posting.
I agree, one leap forward at a time {from ASLSK to ASL, then ASL to DASL}.

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The biggest thing to watch when moving from SK to full ASL is bypass movement. This can have a big impact on play balance since you can essentially double attacker speed. You might consider knocking a turn or two off of the scenario length for scenarios that are very movement heavy on dense forest or city boards.

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Some ASLSK scenarios have already been adapted from (or related to) ASL scenarios and I know of at least one ASL scenario thats looks familiar with a previously published ASLSK scenario. But in all cases, the maps are always different.

ASLSK scenarios adapted from ASL
  • S8 - Ad Hoc at Chef-du-Pont adapted from T1 Gavin Take and 181 Gavin Take (Yanks #2)
  • S14 - 88s at Zon adapted from A32 Zon with the Wind and 188 Zon with Wind (Yanks #2)
  • S58 - Exit N° 1 adapted from T5 The Pouppeville Exit and 183 The Pouppeville Exit (Yanks #2)
  • S65 - Take it Back looks like an adaptation of HS5 Restoration from Operation Watchtower historical module.
  • S66 - Bailey's Bridge seems related to HC2 Bailey's Demise that appeared in Operation Special edition #3 using the included Hell's Corner map, and also HS8 Bailey's Demise from Operation Watchtower historical module.
  • S67 - Besieged related to A115 Blockbusters from ASL Annual'1997 with Nhpum Ga map.
  • S68 - The End of Their Rope related to A83 Last of their strength (ASL Annual'95 and more recently scenario 158 Last of their Strength from ASL Rising Sun). It looks also related to an old French scenario TAC27 "Jusqu'au bout de leurs forces" (Last of their strength from Tactiques magazine #3).
  • S73 – West of the Vire seems related to AP106 Helluva Patrol Leader (Action Pack #11)
ASL scenarios related to previous ASLSK scenario
  • WO23 A Simple Solution loosely related to S3 - Simple Equation

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Last of their strength is Jusqu'au bout de leurs forces, reedited by AH.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
S68 - The End of Their Rope related to A83 Last of their strength (ASL Annual'95 and more recently scenario 158 Last of their Strength from ASL Rising Sun). It looks also related to an old French scenario TAC27 "Jusqu'au bout de leurs forces" (Last of their strength from Tactiques magazine #3).
A good scenario when it was first published in Tactiques, in full ASL format. That said, SK scenarios are usually simple in concept and it would not bring much if they were converted in full ASL.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
But I agree with the sentiment, we have more really good scenarios that most of us could ever play.
That's a matter of opinion not universally shared, naturally. Everyone has showstoppers. My list is probably longer than most, but probably not shorter than absolutely everyone else's. Mine include night, "excessive overlays" (usually defined for me as at least one), desert, amphib landings, etc. etc. Lots of reasons to build such a list - preference, rules overhead, etc.

Moreover, everyone has some kind of "must play" list. For example, pulling an example out of thin air - if I was really interested in the fighting at Voronezh, my play list would be just two scenarios, according to the Scenario Archive. If I was really interested in the Grossdeutschland units, my list would be about 90 scenarios long.

If I only played ASLSK, there are no scens for me set in Voronezh, and few that include GD. Hence a conversion from ASL would be in order.