Control of Location after CC

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
A Russian squad occupies a location in a stone factory. A German squad advances into the location for CC. In the CC phase both units eliminate each other. So who controls the location after that? The rest of the factory is German controlled.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The Location is controlled by the latest side to control it, probably the Russian.

The building is controlled by the only side to have MMCs (Good Order) in it, if any; if not, by the latest to have this.

I don't think the simultaneous killings of the two units make it any harder to determine who controls the location and building.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Russians do
the were the last to SOLELY have a MMC have control of the location

A26.11 says in the second paragraph
during play, a side gains control of a location, hex or building by occupying it with an armed good order infantry MMC's without the presence of an armed enemy ground unit in the same location hex or
building

The German unit when in, but was never the sole occupant of that particular piece of terrain. And therefore the original owner still has their "this is my home" sign on the door

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The other often misplayed variation is infiltration.

Should the attacker throw CC snakes and infiltrate, it must either withdraw of face a CC return attack.

It does not control the location or hex if it withdraws without facing the return CC attack.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The other often misplayed variation is infiltration.

Should the attacker throw CC snakes and infiltrate, it must either withdraw of face a CC return attack.

It does not control the location or hex if it withdraws without facing the return CC attack.

Where are you seeing this? Most likely the snakes just killed all the enemy units. They are dead and gone. The snake thrower now controls the location. And can withdraw.

Seth

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Where are you seeing this? Most likely the snakes just killed all the enemy units. They are dead and gone. The snake thrower now controls the location. And can withdraw.

Seth
Yes that is how I see it. The snakes by the attacker stop the simultaneous nature of CC and so the defender cannot attack back. So the attacker is left in the location alone. That is assuming the snakes eliminated the defender.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
A11.22......
"INFILTRATION: The simultaneous nature of CC is momentarily suspended following an Original CC DR of 2/12. .......If the option to withdraw is taken, it must be done immediately; the unit cannot wait to make its own attack (if it has not yet done so) or see the outcome of other attacks before leaving. See also Ambush Withdrawal "
The only way I see that they could have already eliminated the opponent is if the CC was already non-simultaneous before the rolling of a 2/12?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
A11.22......

The only way I see that they could have already eliminated the opponent is if the CC was already non-simultaneous before the rolling of a 2/12?
Not sure what you're saying here. But one way it could not be subject to further elimination in the Location is if it was a split attack. I have two squads and attempt to take on your two HS at at two 2:1 attacks. You combine your attack into one squad to go 1:1. I attack with my first squad (the one you didn't designate) and roll a 1,1. That squad would never be attacked again.

I have seen this many times, where people say the units rolling a 1,1 must withdraw or face attack. I have seen it played both ways. I wish there were a clearer answer on this. -- jim

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Not sure what you're saying here. But one way it could not be subject to further elimination in the Location is if it was a split attack. I have two squads and attempt to take on your two HS at at two 2:1 attacks. You combine your attack into one squad to go 1:1. I attack with my first squad (the one you didn't designate) and roll a 1,1. That squad would never be attacked again.

I have seen this many times, where people say the units rolling a 1,1 must withdraw or face attack. I have seen it played both ways. I wish there were a clearer answer on this. -- jim
I think the salient point is that if a unit rolls a 1,1 and decides to withdraw, the roll is not used to resolve a CC attack.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Think there might be Q&A on this.
There is this from your collection:
A11.2 & A26.11 Do units that Ambush end up with Control of the CC Location if they eliminate all units and Withdraw? What about units that Infiltrate and Withdraw? A. Yes. Yes, if they eliminate all enemy units as part of that Infiltration DR.
That seems to suggest Control passes to the side rolling the 1,1 at that point. Am I reading this wrong?

This is a response to staying or going:
A11.22 Two units in CC, one squad from each side. The attacker rolls an original 2, which after resolving Leader Creation is sufficient to eliminate the defender. Can the attacker remain in the Location without suffering the defender’s attack, since the defender is eliminated by the 2 DR (i.e., is the attack now sequential)? Or must the attacker (and newly created leader) withdraw as per A11.22 Infiltration to avoid the return attack, thereby leaving the Location empty? A. No (no). Yes.
So you have to leave to avoid attack but you gain control the instant you're alone in the Location. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I think the salient point is that if a unit rolls a 1,1 and decides to withdraw, the roll is not used to resolve a CC attack.

Or am I misunderstanding something?
The attack is still resolved (to include leader creation), but you have to decide to stay or go before anything else happens. At least that's my understanding. -- jim

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
The attack is still resolved (to include leader creation), but you have to decide to stay or go before anything else happens. At least that's my understanding. -- jim
So why does A11.22 say.....
.....If the option to withdraw is taken, it must be done immediately; the unit cannot wait to make its own attack (if it has not yet done so) or see the outcome of other attacks before leaving.
?

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So why does A11.22 say.....?

So why does A11.22 say.....
.....If the option to withdraw is taken, it must be done immediately; the unit cannot wait to make its own attack (if it has not yet done so) or see the outcome of other attacks before leaving.

See the bold. It already made it's attack, that was the snakes. Also indicated by "other attacks" .

Seth

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I did not know that!