Control of a Trench

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All,

My opponent and I are trying to figure out trench control especially how it effects B27.6 which allows entering and exiting a trench from/to a lower elevation without spending the extra MF to enter the trench and therefore avoiding the FFMO penalty. The rule says that a side must control the trench in order to use this technique.

I have always thought that in order to control the trench you have to go into the the trench.
My opponent has pointed out that a trench is an entrenchment and therefore not a separate location and the act of going in the hex gains control of the trench.

Looking at A26.11 seems to support his conclusion but I am still not sure.

He has moved a HS into the trench hex which broke under my withering fire. His next move will be to move the rest of his force into the trench from a lower elevation if he now controls the trench so it is pivotal that we understand this correctly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I can't find anything in the rules that defines control of an entrenchment, so I assume what is required is control of the entrenchment's location. Might be one for Perry, at least for confirmation.

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A trench is not a separate location. So if he controls the hex, then he controls the Trench as well. Your opponent is correct.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per B27.6 with J12 erratum, one must control the trench's Location, which can be done without entering the trench.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
B27.6 with errata in red:

"...Such move/rout/advance/CC-Withdrawal in the opposite direction, from a non-Crest-status position to beneath an Accessible higher-elevation trench/sangar (as if moving from a connecting Trench), is also allowed if that Infantry unit and trench/sangar are in the same side’s OB and/or the unit’s side Controls the trench/sangar Location. ..."