Control / Blazes...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Got a game at the moment which is absolutely crackers. Half the mapboard has gone up in flames. Neither player kindled. A vehicle brewed up and the wreck blaze spread.

The rules for hex control seem to suggest that if a VC hex goes up in this manner that the player controlling most of the adjacent hexes takes control of said VC hex.

OK. But, what happens if ALL adjacent hexes also immolate.

So, take for example a woods hex which is surrounded by six other woods hexes. The internal woods hex itself is the Victory Location. Control of which wins the scenario. All 7 hexes go up in an accidental blaze.

What's the situation ?

If one of the surrounding six hexes was, say crag, then I understand that control of that crag hex is then the key.

Also, what happens if there are 4 hexes adjacent to the VC which are unscathed and each player controls 2? Who actually then controls the VC hex ?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The strict way to do your example of 7 burning hex is to figure out who controls each of the 12 hexes adjacent to the 7 burning hexes, then based on that assign control of the 6 non-VC burning hexes, then control of the VC hex. The same goes for larger fires, just expand the hexes that you consider.

As to your second question if both sides controls the same number of adjacent hexes control goes to the side who controlled the VC hex last (probably the side who could set up in the hex, but it could have changed.)

I remember one game I deliberately set some grain on fire (using a 10-0 commissar as the leader and by the end of the game large part of the middle of the map was burning and my opponent couldn't get around the fire to where he needed to go.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
The strict way to do your example of 7 burning hex is to figure out who controls each of the 12 hexes adjacent to the 7 burning hexes, then based on that assign control of the 6 non-VC burning hexes, then control of the VC hex. The same goes for larger fires, just expand the hexes that you consider.

As to your second question if both sides controls the same number of adjacent hexes control goes to the side who controlled the VC hex last (probably the side who could set up in the hex, but it could have changed.)

I remember one game I deliberately set some grain on fire (using a 10-0 commissar as the leader and by the end of the game large part of the middle of the map was burning and my opponent couldn't get around the fire to where he needed to go.
Thanks. I think this is what I surmised.

This is exactly what's happened. I think our average roll in some 8 full turns, for spreading fire has been about 10. It's been quite absurd. We have about 25 hexes ablaze. I've never seen anything like it.