Contested Lands (1948 Arab Israeli) module

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For half a second I thought I read this:

I am curious to see how/if they represent a high-density Middle Earth urban area.

And, boy, I was curious to see how they'd do that... 🤣

von Marwitz
How many levels needed to represent Orthanc and how many turns for personnel to reach the top level? for example. RF meets Manila meets Minas Tirith . . .

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1973 could make a good module. AIW covered a great deal of the topic as part of the PB-PL line. The ASL format would too.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
1973 could make a good module. AIW covered a great deal of the topic as part of the PB-PL line. The ASL format would too.
'67 should work. I think '73 is too far. Too many guided weapons that have flight/guidance times the take up an appreciable amount of the theoretical 3 minute ASL turn.

The rulz could be worked to make that possible, but I feel it would change the system so much as to not be ASL any longer.....

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
'67 should work. I think '73 is too far. Too many guided weapons that have flight/guidance times the take up an appreciable amount of the theoretical 3 minute ASL turn.

The rulz could be worked to make that possible, but I feel it would change the system so much as to not be ASL any longer.....
For a MASL to work, I think it would have to focus primarily on infantry combat, with most vehicles relegated to OBAFV (Off-board AFV) mechanics.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
For a MASL to work, I think it would have to focus primarily on infantry combat, with most vehicles relegated to OBAFV (Off-board AFV) mechanics.
But vehicles and aircraft play such a huge role in modern warfare.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Which would no longer be ASL as we know it today, which is my whole point.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to disagree regarding 'flight and guidance times' for ATGW's.
In my personal experience, the amount of time for even a first generation AT guided missile to be fired, guided to, and impact its target is about the same for a projectile fired from a mortar, and in many cases, less (depending of course on the range to the target).

The frequently mentioned theory that AT guided missiles are in some way too complex to be included in the ASL game system seems to be based more upon opinion regarding enjoyment of the game rather than actual fact. Although the ATGW is a complex weapon design, the truth is that these weapons are much easier to use and far more effective than the towed AT guns that are currently in the game, and which have largely been replaced in the inventories of late 20th century armies.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have to disagree regarding 'flight and guidance times' for ATGW's.
In my personal experience, the amount of time for even a first generation AT guided missile to be fired, guided to, and impact its target is about the same for a projectile fired from a mortar, and in many cases, less (depending of course on the range to the target).

The frequently mentioned theory that AT guided missiles are in some way too complex to be included in the ASL game system seems to be based more upon opinion regarding enjoyment of the game rather than actual fact. Although the ATGW is a complex weapon design, the truth is that these weapons are much easier to use and far more effective than the towed AT guns that are currently in the game, and which have largely been replaced in the inventories of late 20th century armies.
ATGW is really just a long-range DC, where the "Placement hex" is the launch site, and the SMC/MMC guiding the missile must survive all fire defensive fire in order for the "DC" to be successfully placed on the Target hex. Earliest versions required the firer to stand up and watch the missile fly in order to guide it to the target - CE and Hazardous Movement all in one.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
But vehicles and aircraft play such a huge role in modern warfare.
Aircraft are already covered abstractly in ASL. Modern vehicles are more likely to operate at longer distances than infantry combat, at least for MBTs [EXC: urban combat], so creating a type of off-board armor fire might be appropriate. And just as smaller Guns have a presence on-board in ASL, so smaller AFV can still have a presence in the modern era.
Which would no longer be ASL as we know it today, which is my whole point.
Are you suggesting that infantry-only scenarios aren't ASL as we know it today? ;)