Consumer Alert - E-bay Vietnam/Korea "products"

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most people are aware of "Wild Bill Wilder" creating a stream of ASL products on Vietnam and the Korean War and selling them on E-bay one at a time, with copies going from $100 to $350 each, as completists rush to get them.

Just from the E-bay descriptions, I had serious reservations about these products, but I wanted to see at least one of them for myself. Recently, I purchased one and got it in the mail yesterday.

There will be a full write-up on the DM site soon enough, but I wanted to issue an official warning now to ASL consumers.

The rules are half-assed and clearly not playtested or developed. Some of them strongly suggest that the person who wrote them is not actually familiar with ASL rules and that he assumes they say one thing when they actually say another. The scenarios are missing all sorts of required features, and the counters are missing things, too, so you can't even treat the product as a "kit" to allow you to create your own rules/scenarios.

These products are useless except to collectors/completists, and I would strongly urge the latter NOT to purchase these items, anyway, as it just eggs this person on.

For everybody else, money spent on these items is WASTED and you should not purchase them, no matter how tempted you might be. They are among the worst ASL TPP I have seen.

Joao Lima

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Are they really being marketed by 'Wild Bill Wilder'? Or is someone else marketing them, and he is just the name on the paper?

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For everybody else, money spent on these items is WASTED and you should not purchase them, no matter how tempted you might be. They are among the worst ASL TPP I have seen.
This should come as no surprise to anyone. Frankly what I am surprised about is that it hasn't happened more often. I mean, with so many players willing to buy a rotten orange as long as ASL is referenced in the description, so why not. CH has built a cottage industry on half-a$$ ASL products and there are even players that think CH is a great company.

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These products are useless except to collectors/completists
I wouldn't qualify that. If they are useless for playing, I don't think they would be useful for collecting. Don't you have to draw the line between functional and not-functional? Or are 'collectors/completists' really that irrational???

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There will be a full write-up on the DM site soon enough, but I wanted to issue an official warning now to ASL consumers.

The rules are half-assed and clearly not playtested or developed. Some of them strongly suggest that the person who wrote them is not actually familiar with ASL rules and that he assumes they say one thing when they actually say another. The scenarios are missing all sorts of required features, and the counters are missing things, too, so you can't even treat the product as a "kit" to allow you to create your own rules/scenarios.
I will be looking for that write-up. Should make for interesting reading.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think a lot of us had that nagging feeling in the back of our heads on these "products"

I would never had considered bying them, as Korea & VietNam are not on my list of theaters that I would want to play ASL. However, others are chomping at the bit.

Your Desperation Morale website does a good service to everyone - especially in regards to throwing some light on new TPP that come out of the woodwork

Evidently the people who have bought these previously on e-bay were not Gamesquad forum members, or we would have heard about the production qualities sooner. Or perhaps, they were too embarassed after dropping a boat load of money

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank you Mark for the scouting report. I've been curious about them for a while. It's really nice to get a first hand report.

bennerc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Mark! Like Fred, I had a sneaking suspicion these packs were completely unplaytested because I never saw a single post on this forum or on CSW where someone said they have even heard of them being playtested, much less participating in an actual playtest. Have you posted your warning on CSW?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Of course Mark's warning may not affect the price of the future listings. The bidders may think there is less of a call for it now and keep driving up the bids. :nuts:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Mark! Like Fred, I had a sneaking suspicion these packs were completely unplaytested because I never saw a single post on this forum or on CSW where someone said they have even heard of them being playtested, much less participating in an actual playtest. Have you posted your warning on CSW?
No, I am about to.

Hugh Downing

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark thanks for the evaluation. I have been tempted to buy them in the past, but like others just did not have a good feeling about them. It is nice to hear from someone about their quality before putting them on my wish list.

I am always interest in post or pre WWII actions that are covered by the ASL system, hopefully MMP will have the Korean module ready soon…

Thanks again, Hugh

Jockster

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Mark, your candor is always appreciated. These have been out for awhile and no one else has come out with any kind of review. Your website is an excellent tool for the ASL community.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mark,

I appreciate you are issuing these warnings in good faith with the intent to provide fair guidance.

However, please qualify your judgements that products are a "waste" or "half-assed" with a IMHO. Your opinion is valued, but please don't present your opinion as clear fact when engaging in this type of message.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man, I hate to agree with herr Pitmann, even looking at the pics on eBay, that stuff looked half assed. Thank gawd I'm not a completest.

Scott

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I appreciate you are issuing these warnings in good faith with the intent to provide fair guidance.

However, please qualify your judgements that products are a "waste" or "half-assed" with a IMHO. Your opinion is valued, but please don't present your opinion as clear fact when engaging in this type of message.

You'll have to wait with the rest of us.

JR

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, please qualify your judgements that products are a "waste" or "half-assed" with a IMHO.
If I ever write something that is NOT my opinion, I'll let you know. Otherwise, you can assume I believe what I write.