Consumer Alert - E-bay Vietnam/Korea "products"

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you guys are going to insult someone, at least have the decency to let it be me, as I was the person who started this thread. That way even though you have hijacked the thread, my ego will still be gratified. If you are just going to insult each other, I get nothing out of it.

The 'Buckeye pack' sucks. Scott could've designed better scenarios using fake black SS counters :cry:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I think Pete is pissed b/c I'm a better scenario designer then he is and at every turn when a thread like this comes up, he takes his shots at me. I'v been nice in the past to the guy, but thius was the last straw.

Scott
And btw, what made you think I was taking a shot at you?

Last edited:

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, wait a minute! What if it's not Wild Bill at all. What if it's somebody PRETENDING to be Wild Bill to get name recognition. Somebody desperate for ASL attention, somebody who only pretends to play the game, some designer wannabe.............................
In the ASL world, Wild Bill Wilder is a someone???:hmmm:

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"If you guys are going to insult someone, at least have the decency to let it be me, as I was the person who started this thread. That way even though you have hijacked the thread, my ego will still be gratified. If you are just going to insult each other, I get nothing out of it."

Page 5 of a thread started by Pitman and noone has called him a blowhard, pedantic self absorbed yob. Amazing. Normally we don't get past 5 posts, let alone 5 pages.

I feel we've entered a new age. Perhaps returned to an old one with Holst's self martyrdom going on. Fun to watch boys, keep it up!

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
We have entered a brave new world of Pitman insults. We now realise that the best way to insult our friend is to simply ignore him. (It is really, really hard not to go back to ther old ways!)

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the ASL world, Wild Bill Wilder is a someone???
Wild Bill has been critiquing computer wargames at the wargamer.com for many many years. I've never seen him associated with ASL until these "packs" started showing up on eBay. The looked like poor products form the start.

It will be interesting to read mark's review on DM and see if and how the critic Wild Bill reacts to being in the hot seat for once.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As to Scott and Pete flinging insults at each other, I say we have a "Nacho Libre" night at ASLOK where Scott and Pete (and Mark too) dress up as Luchadors and fight it out in a ring in the middle of all the gaming tables. Should be a hoot!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
As to Scott and Pete flinging insults at each other, I say we have a "Nacho Libre" night at ASLOK where Scott and Pete (and Mark too) dress up as Luchadors and fight it out in a ring in the middle of all the gaming tables. Should be a hoot!
I'm thinkin' there needs to be some mud involved....nes pas?

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm thinkin' there needs to be some mud involved....nes pas?
If Mark is involved, can the tub-o-counters be far behind?

In fact, we could go for the "Triple Threat Mucho Libre" ... mud, mixed with jello, mixed with counters ... if it's no good to wrestle in, it's probably good to spackle with ...

Brien "Next, on 'This Old House', caulking a bathtub using Cheez Whiz ..."

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Back on track; I'll look forward to the review of these products as much as everyone else. I'll also tag this thread this so others can find the several other threads already extant on these products.

It will be interesting to see if Mark's review changes the purchasing history of these modules. I suspect it won't. At least one purchaser was already online talking about these and went into the deal with eyes wide open as to what it represented. The auctions are pretty explicit about the physical production values. Whether or not potential purchasers care about the other issues Mark discusses, or have access to Mark's comments, will be interesting to see.

Not defending WBW or his product, just pointing out that ebay purchasers are often their own greatest nemeses; can't blame a businessman for doing business. I think ebay prices on ASL stuff are way too high and if some bad purchases - if that's what these are - take the wind out of some sales (sic), maybe that's a positive thing. But I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Was it Tate that said you could retire selling ASL Toilet Paper on ebay? He was probably right.

In fact, if these are on the level of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" bad, it may even increase demand. Some people just have money to burn.

Last edited:

Patrocles

Reaction score
Most people are aware of "Wild Bill Wilder" creating a stream of ASL products on Vietnam and the Korean War and selling them on E-bay one at a time, with copies going from $100 to $350 each, as completists rush to get them.

Just from the E-bay descriptions, I had serious reservations about these products, but I wanted to see at least one of them for myself. Recently, I purchased one and got it in the mail yesterday.

There will be a full write-up on the DM site soon enough, but I wanted to issue an official warning now to ASL consumers.

The rules are half-assed and clearly not playtested or developed. Some of them strongly suggest that the person who wrote them is not actually familiar with ASL rules and that he assumes they say one thing when they actually say another. The scenarios are missing all sorts of required features, and the counters are missing things, too, so you can't even treat the product as a "kit" to allow you to create your own rules/scenarios.

These products are useless except to collectors/completists, and I would strongly urge the latter NOT to purchase these items, anyway, as it just eggs this person on.

For everybody else, money spent on these items is WASTED and you should not purchase them, no matter how tempted you might be. They are among the worst ASL TPP I have seen.
Thanks, Mr. Pitman!

I'm looking fowrad to your in-depth review of one or more of the FtF modules.

What about the Solitare module by Mr. Wild Bill Wilder? Any plans to review this module?

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My moneys on Pete. Scott in a fight (thats just laughable) and Marks a bit slow me thinks but some times the big guys can fool ya. Pete by a country mile. Especially if Dennys is the reward.

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My moneys on Pete. Scott in a fight (thats just laughable) and Marks a bit slow me thinks but some times the big guys can fool ya. Pete by a country mile. Especially if Dennys is the reward.
If Mark oils up, he wins easily.

Hell, we might never find Holst again.

Daniels

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My moneys on Scott, Pete got gout Scott just got to stump on the foot and Pete down for the count. Mark just got too much of a weight problem one good kick to the knee and he down. Now if he falls on Scott….