considering selling my collection

grinder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For about 4 years, the only gaming I did was ASL. Now it's been between 1 and 2 years that I haven't played at all. I never played more than a couple of those games face to face and they were only SK1 scenarios. I've found that I enjoy playing a wider variety of "lighter" games than a lifestyle game such as ASL most of the time. The exception being SK, I am keeping the 3 SKs either way.

This leads me to considering selling my collection. Most of the components have been organized (flambeau boxes (Plano knock off), binders, etc.) but never really used. Some are still unpunched. I'm wondering how someone selling a collection like this would estimate shipping costs, insurance, etc. Obviously a local buyer would be preferred to skip that altogether. I'm also curious as to the value. It all occupies 2 shelves. I can upload a picture or two when I am at home but this is what I have...

Rulebook 1st edition
Rulebook 2nd edition
Beyond Valor 1st edition
Beyond Valor 2nd edition
Red Barricades
Valor of the Guards
Paratrooper
Yanks
West of Alamein
Croix de Guerre
Doomed Battalions 3rd edition
Rising Sun
Armies of Oblivion
Hakkaa Paalle
Hollow Legions
Forgotten War - unpunched
Action Pack 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Winter Offensive 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 (in shrink)
SASL 1st edition
ASL annual 91
ASL annual 92
ASL annual 93a
ASL annual 93b
ASL annual 95
ASL journal 2, 11, 12
Special Ops 5
Out of the Attic 2
map bundle
Crucible of Steel - unpunched
Blood and Jungle - unpunched
Friendly Fire pack 6, 8
Lone Canuck Leibstandarte 1
Lone Canuck Ost Front packs 1, 2, 3

Anyone in the western New York area with a bunch of money burning a hole in their pocket?

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
If you decide to sell off components separately, I would be interested in a bunch of items.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Best way to estimate shipping costs is either to use the USPS website or visit the post office. Package it up first (don't have to seal the box) and then you'll know how big the package is and how much it weighs. Postage is calculated using the size of the box (3 dimensions) and the weight, as well as the postal codes of the sender and recipient. When I was shipping out sales on ebay, I would do an estimate by asking the post office to calculate shipping to a nearby province, then one across the country, then a couple of different states in the US on opposite coasts, and then to Europe. With the estimates on hand I could post them right in the auction listing. I think eBay's software will calculate an estimate automatically now based on a bidders data.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Anyone in the western New York area with a bunch of money burning a hole in their pocket?
You know no-one in western New York has money burning a hole in their pockets..we pay NYS taxes on everything. LOL

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For about 4 years, the only gaming I did was ASL. Now it's been between 1 and 2 years that I haven't played at all. I never played more than a couple of those games face to face and they were only SK1 scenarios. I've found that I enjoy playing a wider variety of "lighter" games than a lifestyle game such as ASL most of the time. The exception being SK, I am keeping the 3 SKs either way.

This leads me to considering selling my collection. Most of the components have been organized (flambeau boxes (Plano knock off), binders, etc.) but never really used. Some are still unpunched. I'm wondering how someone selling a collection like this would estimate shipping costs, insurance, etc. Obviously a local buyer would be preferred to skip that altogether. I'm also curious as to the value. It all occupies 2 shelves. I can upload a picture or two when I am at home but this is what I have...

Rulebook 1st edition
Rulebook 2nd edition
Beyond Valor 1st edition
Beyond Valor 2nd edition
Red Barricades
Valor of the Guards
Paratrooper
Yanks
West of Alamein
Croix de Guerre
Doomed Battalions 3rd edition
Rising Sun
Armies of Oblivion
Hakkaa Paalle
Hollow Legions
Forgotten War - unpunched
Action Pack 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Winter Offensive 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 (in shrink)
SASL 1st edition
ASL annual 91
ASL annual 92
ASL annual 93a
ASL annual 93b
ASL annual 95
ASL journal 2, 11, 12
Special Ops 5
Out of the Attic 2
map bundle
Crucible of Steel - unpunched
Blood and Jungle - unpunched
Friendly Fire pack 6, 8
Lone Canuck Leibstandarte 1
Lone Canuck Ost Front packs 1, 2, 3

Hello

I know it seems tempting or logical to sell your ASL collection because you don't play very much currently.
You will regret this down the road, when the "itch" comes again and you have to spend $ to repurchase what is a pretty
good collection. Please think about selling long and hard, but what ever you do good luck and have fun!!

Thanks!!!
Joe

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hello

I know it seems tempting or logical to sell your ASL collection because you don't play very much currently.
You will regret this down the road, when the "itch" comes again and you have to spend $ to repurchase what is a pretty
good collection. Please think about selling long and hard, but what ever you do good luck and have fun!!

Thanks!!!
Joe
This! Repeat: This!

von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I will echo 62nd and vonM. I have lost count of the number of people here who sold out, many years ago and came back and could not get what they sold or had to pay Evilbay prices.

Again and again and again!!

Unless you absolutely have to get the money, I would advise against.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good God man.. don't do it. You will regret it. You may think you'll never play again, I did not myself, but it took some years but the itch came back and came back strong. All I had to do was kick off the dust. Not spend thousands for the half that I might have got in selling it off. Unless you are really hurting for money, and especially if you are on the youngish side, just toss it all in a box and stick in a closet. It will be there waiting for you when you get that urge again.

grinder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see all the posts saying not to sell and I get that. I've seen other posts like this come up before. I guess I'm mostly curious how much it would be worth as a bundle. I'm starting to think I might sell off the stuff that isn't core rather than all of it.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I work at a games shop in Barcelona (Spain) and we deal with second hand games. Once, a customer sold us a Pegasus Bridge... and three months later came asking to re-buy it (It was already sold: to me). He was again revived the flame of ASL and NEEDED! British counters. Many ASLrs consider selling their material. Very few do it really.
But I think that preserving the core modules is the correct; then sell everything else you know definitely will not play.
Best regards,

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
I see all the posts saying not to sell and I get that. I've seen other posts like this come up before. I guess I'm mostly curious how much it would be worth as a bundle. I'm starting to think I might sell off the stuff that isn't core rather than all of it.
On the contrary! sell the core stuff and keep the rest. That way if you change your mind in four years you can get the collection back easily.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello

Thanks!!!
Joe
Best post of the day.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played ASL in probably a year+, save for a couple of short solitaire forays. Yet, I think it is foolish of me to let my stuff go. .

Last edited:

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have a great collection of components for ASL - THE premier board wargame!

Enjoy your other wargames... and keep your ASL collection.

Why part with the best?

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you really need the money? If not, wait.
Do you really need the space? If not, wait.

And you don't have to sell everything. Keep the RB and a few core modules and you can jump back in at any time.

Personally I'd sell everything individually on Evil Bay if possible. I'll take AP1 off your hands.

-Sully

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
DO NOT SELL ANYTHING, I have sold off 2 British counter sets+ an entire ABtF Black SS set and ALL HoB black Ss, my entire allied & axis minor counter sets and I regret doing it, DO NOT SELL ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!

all the best

Perry

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
DO NOT SELL ANYTHING, I have sold off 2 British counter sets+ an entire ABtF Black SS set and ALL HoB black Ss, my entire allied & axis minor counter sets and I regret doing it, DO NOT SELL ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!

all the best

Perry
Indeed, if you don't need the money don't sell. There are a gazillion opponents out there who are only too willing to play via VASL. I have played very little ASL over the last 5-6 years, although now play live once week via VASL and have 1 PBEM game on the go. At no point did I ever consider selling my collection, other than offloading some duplicate historical modules that really were destined to be nothing other than dust magnets... I think I sold BRT for around £35, you'd pay almost ten times that to repurchase today......

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will also add my experience.
I have not played ASL in over 6 years (after taking a new job). However, I have kept up to date with the offerings and have managed to keep my eASLRB up to date. I know I will find time to play in the future. Even it that means when I retire. I have no idea how I could even begin to replace my collection. I am now planning on going to ASLOK this year (maybe). The itch is back, just trying to figure out how to make it happen.

DO NOT SELL unless you are in financial hardship. YOU WILL REGRET IT.