Considering routers

Doc Ozzie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While playing one of my opponents in HPS Gettysburg, we discussed how front line units that route can cause havok upon any reserve units waiting to reinforce the front line.

Question 1:

What is the logic behind routing?
a) Path of least resistance while not getting closer to a KEU (Known Enemy Unit)?

b) Routing towards leaders of that chain of command?

c) Combination of a & b ?

Question 2:

What are some methods used for keeping a reserve behind the front line from getting pass through routers? 2 hex distance? using max stacking? Using difficult terrain? Or is there something else?

Question 3:

Historically, what happened with routers and reserve units?

Thanks for any replies.

Matt

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Doc Ozzie said:
Question 1:

What is the logic behind routing?
a) Path of least resistance while not getting closer to a KEU (Known Enemy Unit)?

b) Routing towards leaders of that chain of command?

c) Combination of a & b ?
To my knowledge the "routing logic" of the program has not been publicaly disclosed.

Question 2:

What are some methods used for keeping a reserve behind the front line from getting pass through routers? 2 hex distance? using max stacking? Using difficult terrain? Or is there something else?
Max stacking is the best one, as it's impossible for the routers to enter the hex then. Also, make sure and have at least a 1 hex gap between your reinforcements and your front line, so they don't disrupt if your front line falls apart.

Question 3:

Historically, what happened with routers and reserve units?

Thanks for any replies.
Matt
I think it varried depending on the unit they ran by/through. If it was a low quality "green" unit there's a decent chance part or all of that unit might join them in the rout. If they were veterans they might look on them in disgust and prapare to face the enemey...I doubt there's a uniform response to this situation across the board...

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
rahamy said:
To my knowledge the "routing logic" of the program has not been publicaly disclosed.
Sure it has! The routing units will disrupt the max amount of friendly units as possible AND will rout to the most illogical place! :p