CONSCRIPTS! 2021: 24th-26th of September; Bad Staffelstein, Germany

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We did it in 2018 & 2019. We had to go virtual in 2020. But hopefully, we will meet once again in person in 2021:
The fourth CONSCRIPTS! tournament will take place from 24th to 26th September 2021 in Nedensdorf, Germany (Franconia, between Coburg and Bamberg).
  • Small, casual player friendly tournament (but pros are welcome, too!)
  • 4 rounds of Swiss, starting Friday evening!
  • Scenarios are not announced in advance, so no week long preparation possible/needed.
  • Friday 24th September to Sunday 26th September (option to begin on Saturday morning for late arrivals)
  • Location with a beautiful view of the Main river and the Staffelberg
You can't register yet, but save the date! We will keep you informed!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We did it in 2018 & 2019. We had to go virtual in 2020. But hopefully, we will meet once again in person in 2021:
The fourth CONSCRIPTS! tournament will take place from 24th to 26th September 2021 in Nedensdorf, Germany (Franconia, between Coburg and Bamberg).
  • Small, casual player friendly tournament (but pros are welcome, too!)
  • 4 rounds of Swiss, starting Friday evening!
  • Scenarios are not announced in advance, so no week long preparation possible/needed.
  • Friday 24th September to Sunday 26th September (option to begin on Saturday morning for late arrivals)
  • Location with a beautiful view of the Main river and the Staffelberg
You can't register yet, but save the date! We will keep you informed!
Good luck! Hopefully you can have a great ftf event. 🤗

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Scenarios are not announced in advance, so no week long preparation possible/needed.
I think that no one is required to prepare lengthily if the scenario selection is announced in advance. It is a choice.

Your format forces people not to prepare i.e. takes away that option.

Especially if you focus on 'non-pros', they might welcome the possibility to read up required unfamiliar rules in advance. Many contemporary 'right into action' (a.k.a. tournament style) scenarios are quite unforgiving if you mess up your setup. Your format increases the chance to do so, especially for more inexperienced players, which might be a detriment to the enjoyment after realizing such a mistake in Turn 1. Some also consider it stressful to crack out a setup within a few minutes under the time restraints that any tournament is subjected to. Again, this is likely to apply to less experienced players more readily than to others. If you have terrain modifications such as Ground Snow etc., your format denies the option to print out maps which take these into account - something that people who like aesthetics like to do.

You run the tournament, you make the rules. A am fine with that. However, the 'no announcement' policy breaks it for me.

A pity, because currently yours it the only tournament in Germany besides GRENADIER.

Nevertheless, have fun!

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think that no one is required to prepare lengthily if the scenario selection is announced in advance. It is a choice.

Especially if you focus on 'non-pros', they might welcome the possibility to read up required unfamiliar rules in advance. Many contemporary 'right into action' (a.k.a. tournament style) scenarios are quite unforgiving if you mess up your setup. Your format increases the chance to do so, especially for more inexperienced players, which might be a detriment to the enjoyment after realizing such a mistake in Turn 1. Some also consider it stressful to crack out a setup within a few minutes under the time restraints that any tournament is subjected to. Again, this is likely to apply to less experienced players more readily than to others. If you have terrain modifications such as Ground Snow etc., your format denies the option to print out maps which take these into account - something that people who like aesthetics like to do.

You run the tournament, you make the rules. A am fine with that. However, the 'no announcement' policy breaks it for me.

A pity, because currently yours it the only tournament in Germany besides GRENADIER.

Nevertheless, have fun!

von Marwitz
Some valid points. We opted for the players choosing the scenario they wanted to play. Easier for them and us. Saves a lot of headaches too. If you think the scenario was unbalanced why did you pick it out to play??

I understand why TDs opt for different formats and that diversity is what makes each event unique in it's own way.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If you think the scenario was unbalanced why did you pick it out to play??
From the conscript tourney website:
Scenario-selection:For each round, there exists a pre-selected set of possible scenarios. At the start of each round, the torunament organizers will select one scenario randomly, which will be played at all tables. The sides to be played by each player will be determined randomly.

Here the focus is on removing any player intervention to remove the impact of prep and speed up games. It's an acquired taste.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
From the conscript tourney website:
Scenario-selection:For each round, there exists a pre-selected set of possible scenarios. At the start of each round, the torunament organizers will select one scenario randomly, which will be played at all tables. The sides to be played by each player will be determined randomly.

Here the focus is on removing any player intervention to remove the impact of prep and speed up games. It's an acquired taste.
All kinds of ways to do it which gives each event it's own flair. Also serves as a valuable learning tool to the TD and perhaps inspiration to those who might want to host their own event.

Last edited:

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
I wish you much success. I had a lot of fun attending 2 years ago, and I wish I could attend again (I happened to be close by on other business back then).

You probably know this, but the main drawback of Conscripts is its location. Grenadier is bad enough, I joke that it takes me longer to get from my home in Sweden to Hergarten then it takes for me to get to the tournament in Albany, New York (this is not quite true, it takes me almost the same amount of time to get to Newark Airport, but then I have another couple of hours to Albany). But Nedensdorf is worse.

I know that you love the venue, and it is a very nice place, but are there no comparable alternatives closer to an international airport such a München, Stuttgart or Frankfurt? A thought for 2022...

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Nuremberg has an international airport, too, although I don't know if they fly to/from Sweden from there.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
...<snip>...
  • Scenarios are not announced in advance, so no week long preparation possible/needed...<snip>
...,<snip>... Scenario-selection: For each round, there exists a pre-selected set of possible scenarios. At the start of each round, the torunament organizers will select one scenario randomly, which will be played at all tables. The sides to be played by each player will be determined randomly...<snip>
This format is becoming more popular and it's understandable. We've used it two years running here in Alberta and it is also in use in the UK's Double One tournament. With scenarios published well in advance players can set up the game, run through multiple defence and/or attack plans, learn the LOS possibilities, etc. The random nature of a blind scenario list imposes a leveling effect on both players as time is an issue. This has been born out in the last two years of Alberta Assault where we have had very experienced players defeated by the less experienced.

This format tests a players ability to improvise on short notice and try to develop a 'good' plan instead of the 'perfect' plan. The lack of knowing the perfect defence, all the LOS and other intricacies in advance also compels a player to be more flexible as one doesn't have all the angles covered. IMO, this 'fog of war' aspect heightens the tournament experience.

YMMV

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
As The Purist mentioned, we use blind (and un-played) scenarios at Bounding Fire Blackpool. I think almost all the guys in attendance prefer it and I think we'd come under some real fire if we changed the format. It just works. Even better is when we're able to introduce the players to new maps/weapons systems as well.

It's fair to say it's unforgiving on a poor setup. It's also unforgiving on a poor attack. I see no delineation in the two. It's...unforgiving. But then it is, in my opinion, a tournament, with prizes, and therefore should be a challenge for everyone right?

So my take...you can practice your ASL for sure, leading up to the tourney ala Slapton Sands. But you can't practice that specific small unit engagement anymore than our real-life counterparts who found themselves thrust into dealing with a situation on the ground could. I personally think it brings in an added level of 'realism' to the game. A bit of pressure. Thinking on your feet. And so forth.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The Purist and Martin both make good points about their method of scenario selection. As I've said previously diversity in tournament format is an important factor in keeping the tournament/event scene vibrant, healthy and hopefully growing.

If people like the format of an event they will probably return and maybe even bring along other people.

Our philosophy was give the players what they want and reduce what we had to deal with. 🤗

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really like this format, wish I could come. With published scenario lists, I am always amazed when my opponents have played every selection for the round (wish I had that free time!), and feel like it makes a real skew towards players with that kind of prep time. I like the blind scenario choice quite a lot. Keep it up, I'll make it one day!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I really like this format, wish I could come. With published scenario lists, I am always amazed when my opponents have played every selection for the round (wish I had that free time!), and feel like it makes a real skew towards players with that kind of prep time. I like the blind scenario choice quite a lot. Keep it up, I'll make it one day!
Indisputably so.

Experience after three years tells me that the best players will still win the tournament/do well. But players lower down the ladder at least feel like they have a fighting chance and there's been some noticeable 'upsets' in the past three years. The top players still need to be really on their game.

Most importantly no-one can ever look at a defeat and think "he's an office clerk and has grokked that scenario half to death...I'm a paramedic and didn't have time to do so...and that's why I lost".

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Some valid points for the blind scenario format. Hope you get to attend this event our others some day.

If nothing else think about hosting your own event. It's not that hard and can be very rewarding. Plus you get to pick the format!🤗
I try to encourage people to host an event whenever I can.

I have further thoughts on format but don't want to hijack this thread so I'll continue on the Shanghaid thread.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I like the blind scenario choice quite a lot. Keep it up, I'll make it one day!
I played in the online version last year. I enjoyed myself. You can't take this type of tournament too seriously as there is no bidding, you're just stuck with what you get. You're placing a lot of faith in the TD's to pick balanced scenarios. -- jim

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Nuremberg has an international airport, too, although I don't know if they fly to/from Sweden from there.
Unfortunately nobody flies there from Copenhagen.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I played in the online version last year. I enjoyed myself. You can't take this type of tournament too seriously as there is no bidding, you're just stuck with what you get. You're placing a lot of faith in the TD's to pick balanced scenarios. -- jim
Jim I'm unclear about your reference to bidding. Are there events that have a mechanism for scenario selection that involves bidding? How does this work? Are attendees given a choice of scenarios and if both want the same side A 26.4 comes into effect? Thanks. 😊

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim I'm unclear about your reference to bidding. Are there events that have a mechanism for scenario selection that involves bidding? How does this work? Are attendees given a choice of scenarios and if both want the same side A 26.4 comes into effect? Thanks. 😊
Albany uses a bidding system. You bid in points. Those points you give to get the side you wish are then spent by your opponent to make changes on the card. Highest bid get's their side of choice. If I bit German 2 and you bid German 3, I would get the Germans and you would get to make up to three points of modifications to the card. Those changes are published by Steve in advance, as is the list. People can prepare and have their own thoughts on what the right side is and what to bid.

Refer to this link for the discussion below. That is a partial list of the PBS for 2019.

Say we decided to play AP140 Misty Morning Mayhem. Let's further say you think it balanced at A3 and bid A3. I think it balanced at A2 and bid A2. You would get the Americans based on your bid of 3 and I could spend three points under the American list to modify the card (For instance selecting E and increasing the game length to 9.5). If we both thought it was balanced at A3, the bid would be set at A3 and we would dice for sides, winner getting the American and the Loser getting 3 points to spend. In both our opinions, the game is pretty close to balanced at this point.

Where this breaks down IMO, is when we disagree. Say the total value for each sides "strength" is 10 as printed on the card. The 10 is made up just for the purposes of discussion. Our opinions on this game differ. I bid G3, you bid A3. Under PBS, we would each get the side we bid on with the other side getting those balance provisions. Now for the sake of argument, as the German, I thought this was balanced at 10G 13A, hence by 3G bid, giving up thee points to the Americans. You thought it was balanced at 10A, 13G. Now we are playing a 13:13 game. We are each happy because we think we have the overpowered side with even more material than we need while the other player has the dog side. Neither of us think this thing is balanced but away we go.

There is also another system out there called ABS which works similar. It was even printed on some of the Aussie scenario pack cards. I think this system's biggest difference is only one side gets the points. If I bid A3 and you bid G2, as I bid 3, I would get the Americans yielding 3 points to you. I would get no points for your bid. Now at least one of us feels this is balanced (me). You think I am an idiot for taking the dog side and giving material to get it. (or maybe you think I am an idiot already and just dumb for also giving you 3 points :D )

IMO, PBS works best when both players are prepared, close in skill level, and have done their homework before coming to the tournament. As this is the expectation for Albany, this works for them.

IMO, ABS works best when there is a disparity between players. The better player is likely to bid for the preferred side and be willing to give up an honest amount to do so. The last thing a better player wants to do is bid A0 and lose the DR and be stuck with the dog side in a scenario. IMO, this method is much friendlier to new players.

Personally, I always liked the way Guy Chaney's bidding system. He would sit down and say "let's add a Panther and I take the Germans". Then there would be a long discussion on what the balance should be between the two players. It was Guy's way of sussing out someone who was trying to shark him. Of course, Guy was a pretty big shark himself :D -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Albany uses a bidding system. You bid in points. Those points you give to get the side you wish are then spent by your opponent to make changes on the card. Highest bid get's their side of choice. If I bit German 2 and you bid German 3, I would get the Germans and you would get to make up to three points of modifications to the card. Those changes are published by Steve in advance, as is the list. People can prepare and have their own thoughts on what the right side is and what to bid.

Refer to this link for the discussion below. That is a partial list of the PBS for 2019.

Say we decided to play AP140 Misty Morning Mayhem. Let's further say you think it balanced at A3 and bid A3. I think it balanced at A2 and bid A2. You would get the Americans based on your bid of 3 and I could spend three points under the American list to modify the card (For instance selecting E and increasing the game length to 9.5). If we both thought it was balanced at A3, the bid would be set at A3 and we would dice for sides, winner getting the American and the Loser getting 3 points to spend. In both our opinions, the game is pretty close to balanced at this point.

Where this breaks down IMO, is when we disagree. Say the total value for each sides "strength" is 10 as printed on the card. The 10 is made up just for the purposes of discussion. Our opinions on this game differ. I bid G3, you bid A3. Under PBS, we would each get the side we bid on with the other side getting those balance provisions. Now for the sake of argument, as the German, I thought this was balanced at 10G 13A, hence by 3G bid, giving up thee points to the Americans. You thought it was balanced at 10A, 13G. Now we are playing a 13:13 game. We are each happy because we think we have the overpowered side with even more material than we need while the other player has the dog side. Neither of us think this thing is balanced but away we go.

There is also another system out there called ABS which works similar. It was even printed on some of the Aussie scenario pack cards. I think this system's biggest difference is only one side gets the points. If I bid A3 and you bid G2, as I bid 3, I would get the Americans yielding 3 points to you. I would get no points for your bid. Now at least one of us feels this is balanced (me). You think I am an idiot for taking the dog side and giving material to get it. (or maybe you think I am an idiot already and just dumb for also giving you 3 points :D )

IMO, PBS works best when both players are prepared, close in skill level, and have done their homework before coming to the tournament. As this is the expectation for Albany, this works for them.

IMO, ABS works best when there is a disparity between players. The better player is likely to bid for the preferred side and be willing to give up an honest amount to do so. The last thing a better player wants to do is bid A0 and lose the DR and be stuck with the dog side in a scenario. IMO, this method is much friendlier to new players.

Personally, I always liked the way Guy Chaney's bidding system. He would sit down and say "let's add a Panther and I take the Germans". Then there would be a long discussion on what the balance should be between the two players. It was Guy's way of sussing out someone who was trying to shark him. Of course, Guy was a pretty big shark himself :D -- jim
Thanks for taking the time to educate me about these bidding systems!

In Guy's system if he gets the Panther is it a shark tank?? 🤔🤣🤣🤣