Conquest of Elysium 3

Edi

Dragonlord
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Hello,

It must have been 10 years or so since I last posted on these forums, or close to it in any case. I remembered this place because I got a happy birthday notification email from here. I must therefore apologize for doing such a blatantly drive-by post that is more in the line of an advertisement, but I figured that turn based strategy games are few and far between enough these days that it might be forgiven.

For those interested in old school turn based strategy, there is a new game coming out on February 20th from Illwinter Game Design, called Conquest of Elysium 3. Illwinter's previous titles include the Dominions series (Dominions - Priests, Prophets and Pretenders; Dominions 2 and Dominions 3) and the predecessor to the new title, Conquest of Elysium 2. The published release date for CoE3 is February 20th and it will be available from Desura.

There is no demo as of yet, but there will be before the release of the final version.

If you're looking for lots of shiny graphics and animations, you can stop reading right now. The graphics of CoE3 are 2D, sprite based stuff, but they are very well made and beautiful, so it shouldn't be a problem if you don't mind that.

Some features of the game:
  • 17 different classes
  • roughly 650 different monsters
  • dozens of different special abilities
  • 45 different schools of magic
  • a little shy of 600 separate spells
  • random events
  • random maps
  • map editor with powerful scripting, event building and quest construction capabilities.
  • magic items (circa 100 at last count)
  • maximum of 8 players per game
  • alliances
  • multiplayer (hotseat or over a network)
The gameplay is fast-paced (in terms of how long it takes to do a turn) and depending on map size, games can be fairly short or last a good long time. The game is not too complex, so there is no steep learning curve, especially if you take the time to read the manual. There is a lot less complexity compared to Dominions, which makes it a lot more suitable for casual gaming. If turn based fantasy strategy stuff is something you fancy, I recommend taking a look and at least trying CoE3 when the demo comes out. It is one of the better games in this genre and it will last a good long while before you've played all the options out.

The developer's page is here and screenshots can be found here. Some more stuff can be seen at Indie DB (including a short video and more screenshots) and the game can be preordered from Desura. The progress page / development log is here.

If you're interested in discussion about many features of the game, there has been an active discussion at the Shrapnel Games forums here. The one benefit of a non-NDA beta test was that there is a lot of information out already, which allows people to form a better opinion at the outset.

If you want some idea of what the game is like (or more accurately, some pale shadow of an idea), you can try Conquest of Elysium 2 which is a free download from Shrapnel Games. That one was made in 1997 and had a lot of legacy stuff from even earlier, which definitely shows.

Or you can take a look at some of the Youtube videos that have been posted as a result of the beta version accidentally leaking to the first few people who preordered it from Desura:

Linky, 52 minutes of video
Linky, 34 minutes of video

If anyone wants to ask stuff related to this game, go right ahead. I am one of the beta testers for Conquest of Elysium 3 and I also wrote the game manual, so I am rather well equipped to tell you more.

:)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been meaning to get back to this thread for a while, but been distracted with other things (such as CK2 :)).

I have to say that after viewing this vid, I am intrigued.

I need to take a closer look at this title in the days ahead. :)

Thanks for the heads up!

Edi

Dragonlord
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
You're welcome. I must apologize for having taken so long to respond. I was made administrator of the CoE3 forums at Desura, which has understandably been running me ragged after the release of the game on the 20th. I must also regretfully state that there is currently no demo available and now telling when one will come.

I know that you are busy, so I did a little trawling to make things a bit easier for you and the others here. There's a whole slew of Youtube vids out, so I'll link them for your convenience:

Necromancer
Burgmeister
High Cultist

Several more by another guy, Pewpewchewchew

There are also some reviews out already:

Tom Chick's articles on Quarter to Three
Give the Necromancer's a Hand (February 13th, 2012)
Sex, Dwarves and Diamonds (February 14th, 2012)
The Blind Leading the Blind (February 15th, 2012)
Ia! Ia! Lightning Bolt Ftaghn! (February 16th, 2012)
I Came, I Saw, I Totally got Pwned (February 17th, 2012)

Other Reviews
Hooked Gamers (February 16th, 2012)
Out of Eight (February 19th, 2012)
Matchsticks for My Eyes (February 20th 2012)
Halfbeard's HUD (February 20th 2012)
Frictionless Insight (February 21st, 2012)
IndieGameMagazine (February 22nd 2012)

Of these, the last link I have included in the name of honesty, though I will refrain from expressing my honest opinion of it.