Congratulations to Le Franc Tireur

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Le Franc Tireur for some of the nicest historical maps I've yet seen in ASL (in The Fight for Seoul).

Double points for someone finally, finally conveying what rice paddy terrain is actually like, as opposed to a couple scattered tiny overlays. For years I've seen aerial photographs of terrain in Burma, China, etc., that simply could not be done justice by ASL geoboards and rice paddy overlays.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Those maps....since they are oriental in subject are applicable to numerous other oriental places for DYO purposes...like Japan, China etc. It makes DYO possibilities interesting.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those maps....since they are oriental in subject are applicable to numerous other oriental places for DYO purposes...like Japan, China etc. It makes DYO possibilities interesting.
The Seoul map, maybe. The other map probably has too many unique attributes that limit its universality.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Meaning that we have never had Asia/Orient landmass maps before. They are multi-applicable.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Seoul map, maybe. The other map probably has too many unique attributes that limit its universality.
Yes possibly....the huge rice paddy is unique.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
..... It is other things that make it less transferable.
Like?

RR are common enough, ... the stream types you could just SSR to all are shallow...the KWT you just all are wooden buildings...the no bypass already exists.....you are looking at near universal Asian terrain, barring the jungle side, none of the artwork is prohibitive of wider applications that I can see.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Like?

RR are common enough, ... the stream types you could just SSR to all are shallow...the KWT you just all are wooden buildings...the no bypass already exists.....you are looking at near universal Asian terrain, barring the jungle side, none of the artwork is prohibitive of wider applications that I can see.
That is what I was thinking. Whereas the huge rice paddy is applicable only to certain areas.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Of course we have had Asian/Pacific maps before.
The Pacific ones are islands, not land mass. These two maps in FFS are unique in their scale of coverage of Asian terrain. Which other Asian landmass maps are you thinking of? There is Nhum Ga, Kakazu Ridge but not many others that I can think of.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Like?

The multiple railroads in such a small area, given the relative paucity of railroads in the areas were are talking about.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Pacific ones are islands, not land mass. These two maps in FFS are unique in their scale of coverage of Asian terrain. Which other Asian landmass maps are you thinking of? There is Nhum Ga, Kakazu Ridge but not many others that I can think of.
Islands, I hate to break it to you, are land masses. And there are maps for Guadalcanal, New Guinea, Luzon, Saipan, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Wake, Tarawa, and perhaps others.

Also, there are already two previous Korean maps.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whereas the huge rice paddy is applicable only to certain areas.
I'm sorry, but huge areas of China, Vietnam, Burma, Korea, and many other places in Asia were densely covered with rice paddies. I've attached a 1944 area photograph of Burma, near the city of Toungoo, to give an example. Also a modern day satellite photo of a similar nearby area. A big chunk of the world looks like this.

Attachments

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The other map is from St Louis China-Burma-India Lost Theater.

However, all Asia Pac ASL maps so far depicts tropical terrain which doesn't extend north into China or Korea. The maps FfS is providing covers huge missing landmass in ASL.

PS It just hits me as interesting that rice is a southern China crop whereas wheat is a northern China crop (northern China staple is wheat based). Yet Korea has rice paddies and not wheat. There must be a story there.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The average amount of rain required for rice rather than wheat?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The other map is from St Louis China-Burma-India Lost Theater.

However, all Asia Pac ASL maps so far depicts tropical terrain which doesn't extend north into China or Korea. The maps FfS is providing covers huge missing landmass in ASL.

PS It just hits me as interesting that rice is a southern China crop whereas wheat is a northern China crop (northern China staple is wheat based). Yet Korea has rice paddies and not wheat. There must be a story there.
As I noted before, there have been two previous Korea maps.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The average amount of rain required for rice rather than wheat?
I don't think rice needs rain per se. Most varieties need standing water to grow in. Where that water comes from it doesn't care. Irrigation or rain: it doesn't care.

JR

Last edited:

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well regardless of the landmass type I am looking forward to see all this goodness in my packs when I get home on Thursday from the desert !