Confused on how to start playing ASL

lvet

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thanks all for all your answers :)

@Brad M-V I had a look at HistoryMakingames.com and they have practically everything in stock and at excellent prices. I see they are based in Canada (no experience with a recent purchase from Canada) thus I am wondering how long it's going to take for delivery and the EU import duties.

PezBailarin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
You might want to check wallapop too.

There's also a Spanish ASL telegram group. I can send you an invite if you're interested.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not saying you can't get them somewhere else, but both SK#1 and BV are available direct from MMP.

If you find yourself struggling with things, I recommend SK#1 for some simple scenarios to start back on the road to ASL.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

@Brad M-V I had a look at HistoryMakingames.com and they have practically everything in stock and at excellent prices. I see they are based in Canada (no experience with a recent purchase from Canada) thus I am wondering how long it's going to take for delivery and the EU import duties.
Pretty cheap I would say considering the difference in dollars. I can order from EU cheaper then the U.S, shipping cost that is. But things change and I haven't checked lately either. Speed might be a week tops.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I purchased the rules, and the starter kit #2 (I guess few boards more won't hurt). The starter kit will arrive in a couple of days.
For Beyond Valor, I am still waiting for the outcome of an auction on eBay.

My first impression is that after all the rules didn't change too much from the original Squad Leader. So the learning curve won't be too steep.
I am surprised of remembering so much after 35 years. 😂
Yeah, they changed a lot...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

I remember that there was a thread just a while ago which listed ASL retailers/vendors all around the globe. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it after a quick search. Maybe someone here can provide a quick assist.

If you order directly from the USA anything larger then what fits into an evelope, you'll probably be hit by customs and outrageous shipping costs (for which MMP is not responsible). Customs and shipping may come close to doubling the original price. If you are based in the EU, probably a local retailer is the best place to order ASL stuff.

That thread I mentioned did provide a list of links which would enable to check out some of them. Being based in Germany, I usually order from UGG (Udo Grebe Game Design)

The basic ASL kit I'd advise you to buy is the following:

• the electronic rule book
  • Beyond Valor 3rd Edition
Furthermore, the Starter Kits might be of interest to you to get back on track. The Starter Kits are not full ASL, but they might be helpful when getting back into it.

With regard to SL: It is a different beast than ASL. You will note that many concepts are similar in SL and ASL, but basically, the changes are fundamental. Possibly, having some SL rules in the back of your mind could prove a burden. Indeed you might need to "unlearn" some SL stuff rooted in your memory which might surface again when you try to learn ASL. Do not reread the old SL rules when getting into ASL.

von Marwitz

lvet

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hello,
Sorry for the newbe question.
I am looking at the ASL pdf rulebook. The table of content references a series of chapters, some of them missing from the pdf file.
I am referring specifically at Chapter S SOLITAIRE ASL. Is there a way to get it somewhere else?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You won't need chapter S soon.
It is not a way to play usual scenarios solitaire: it has generic missions where the maps and enemy units are randomly generated. Mastery of ASL would be required.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings from Spain,
:D

I used to play the original Squad Leader during the 80s when I was a teenager.

I would like to get back to this wonderful game but I am facing few challenges. I have several question
  1. The standard Advanced Squad Leader box set is really difficult to find. It looks like it has been discontinued. Is it still the default way to get into the game?
  2. Similar thing for the ASL Starter Kits. I found the starter kit set #2 on Amazon but apparently you need #1 to "start". The starter kit set #1 is nowhere to be found.
  3. Is there a way to play solo or to play remotely with another player.
Cheers
Luca
Go straight to ASL, Take the Russians and play scenario #1 Guards Counterattack today or ASAP.
I was think’in “heck, I’ll mail him board #1, a handful of counters, a QRDC.” And off ya go.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Go straight to ASL, Take the Russians and play scenario #1 Guards Counterattack today or ASAP.
I was think’in “heck, I’ll mail him board #1, a handful of counters, a QRDC.” And off ya go.
Excellent advice!

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's like learning to swim. Sooner or later, you have to get into the deeper end of the pool.
And there's enough experienced players out there to help you in case you start floundering. (Serious)

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hola, Ivet. Veo que estas en Almuñecar, yo en Sevilla, pero creo que hay un par de jugadores por Málaga… pero estoy un poco descolgado (salvo contadas excepciones) de los jugadores nacionales. Hay varios grupos de telegram (de ASL y SK). SI quieres recordar las reglas, te puedo echar una mano.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
This really is a great idea for an old SL player to start learning ASL. The familiarity of Guards Counterattack and just enough new concepts to whet the appetite for more ASL.