Confused by D2.6

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am confused by rule D2.6, the one that's quite clearly there to prevent suicide tactics by vehicles in attempts to "freeze" enemy vehicles.

A vehicle cannot voluntarily stop or end its MPh in Motion in an enemy AFV's hex (whether Known or not) unless...
First, I'm not sure how to read this first sentence:
"cannot (voluntarily stop) or (end its MPh in Motion)..."
or
"cannot voluntarily (stop or end its MPh in Motion)..."

Note, I'm not sure either what constitutes "voluntarily end[ing] its MPh in Motion in an enemy AFV's hex".

* if I have just enough MP to enter the vehicle's hex, am I allowed to enter it? (assuming I don't satisfy the "unless" clause in D2.6 that is)
* if I have just one MP to enter the vehicle's hex, and one of the hexes "behind" it is Open Ground, but the other costs more than 1MP, can I enter the vehicle's hex, and pretend I want to enter the other hex next so I don't have enough, and still end my MPh in the enemy's hex? (similar to the ways one can manage not to spend all MP and still remain in Motion)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The unit may not voluntarily stop in the hex. It also may not end its MPh in Motion in the hex, which means it may not enter the hex without enough MP to exit and must make a feasible attempt to do so. This is a somewhat vaguely-worded rule, I think, because the circumstances where a vehicle might involuntarily end its MPh in Motion in the hex are hard to describe, and it was left up to "common sense" to a degree.

* if I have just enough MP to enter the vehicle's hex, am I allowed to enter it? (assuming I don't satisfy the "unless" clause in D2.6 that is)
* if I have just one MP to enter the vehicle's hex, and one of the hexes "behind" it is Open Ground, but the other costs more than 1MP, can I enter the vehicle's hex, and pretend I want to enter the other hex next so I don't have enough, and still end my MPh in the enemy's hex? (similar to the ways one can manage not to spend all MP and still remain in Motion)
I would say no to both.

A case where a unit might legitimately end the MPh in Motion in the hex is: a vehicle enters, perhaps to fire a sD or something; assume it has four MP left as it starts to exit. It is night, and the hex into which the vehicle attempts to exit contains a HIP AT-Ditch. The vehicle expends the two MP to attempt to enter the otherwise Open Ground (one extra for night E1.52) and one extra MP to stop per E1.16/D2.3. It is now (involuntarily) stopped in the hex, and could spend its last MP to start, thus ending in hex in Motion "involuntarily."

JR

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This is a somewhat vaguely-worded rule, I think, because the circumstances where a vehicle might involuntarily end its MPh in Motion in the hex are hard to describe, and it was left up to "common sense" to a degree.
Maybe if Soft Ground is in effect and the vehicle moves off-road and happens to Bog in the enemy AFV's hex.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
One is hard-pressed to thing of a circumstance when a Bogged vehicle ends up in Motion.

JR
Nah. My thought was that this is a way a truck which can't harm an AFV and may not stop or end its MPh in the AFV's hex could still end up there. Not in Motion, but Bogged, but still in the same hex although not normally allowed.

von Marwitz

Rockford

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would say no to both.

A case where a unit might legitimately end the MPh in Motion in the hex is: a vehicle enters, perhaps to fire a sD or something; assume it has four MP left as it starts to exit. It is night, and the hex into which the vehicle attempts to exit contains a HIP AT-Ditch. The vehicle expends the two MP to attempt to enter the otherwise Open Ground (one extra for night E1.52) and one extra MP to stop per E1.16/D2.3. It is now (involuntarily) stopped in the hex, and could spend its last MP to start, thus ending in hex in Motion "involuntarily."

JR
How about this: I enter the hex with the last MP, and attempt ESB to exit....hoping for a breakdown.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Nah. My thought was that this is a way a truck which can't harm an AFV and may not stop or end its MPh in the AFV's hex could still end up there. Not in Motion, but Bogged, but still in the same hex although not normally allowed.
Ending up stopped involuntarily is easy. Bog, as you say, but also attacked and immobilized, shocked or stunned.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
How about this: I enter the hex with the last MP, and attempt ESB to exit....hoping for a breakdown.
Nope.

D2.6:
"..A vehicle thus barred from remaining in an AFV’s hex may not attempt ESB in that hex."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per D2.6 the unit may not attempt ESB in the hex if it is not allowed to stop. The obvious sleaze is covered.

Note that if a vehicle wanted to run *through* an enemy vehicle where D2.6 would happen and needed to use ESB to do it, it could roll ESB *before* entering the hex. ESB can be rolled at any point in the MPh, including before the vehicle spends any MP.

JR