Concealment of Vehicles and Ordnance

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok...I hope I have not met my quota of questions.

How does a vehicle & ordnance maintain concealment even after firing?

Thanks again...this is a great site.

Bocko
:?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Bocko said:
Ok...I hope I have not met my quota of questions.

How does a vehicle & ordnance maintain concealment even after firing?

Thanks again...this is a great site.

Bocko
:?

If an emplaced gun (AT, Art, Mortar) fires at a target and does not roll a 5 or 6 on the colored die, it would stay concealed (but would need to lose HIP if it was HIP to begin with). It maintains ? as long as it don't roll a 5 or 6 on the colored die during a TH roll. (Remember: ROF -> don't lose ?)

Note that the above only applies to GUNS and not vehicles (unless an SSR changes that, which happens on a very few scenarios)

The only time I can think of is if you have a mortar using spotted fire and there are none of the other guy's units in LOS of the mortar itself. You could even maintain HIP in this instance if I recall correctly? Maybe not.... You would maintain ? status. The spotter could maintain HIP/? status. I think the same would apply to a vehicular mortar, but am not positive.

I suppose another situation would be firing ATT on an empty hex (to get Acq for example) when no enemy units are in LOS.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jazz said:
The only time I can think of is if you have a mortar using spotted fire and there are none of the other guy's units in LOS of the mortar itself. You could even maintain HIP in this instance if I recall correctly? Maybe not.... You would maintain ? status. The spotter could maintain HIP/? status. I think the same would apply to a vehicular mortar, but am not positive.

I suppose another situation would be firing ATT on an empty hex (to get Acq for example) when no enemy units are in LOS.
Also units out of NVR at night, although this forces them to be marked with gunflashes even if HIP. HIP can be maintained if no units are in LOS.

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HIP only at Night?

So ordnance cannot maintain HIP if it knocks out w/ no survivors or kills the squads in daylight if no other unit has LOS to the ordnance that fired?

Bocko :eek:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: HIP only at Night?

Bocko said:
So ordnance cannot maintain HIP if it knocks out w/ no survivors or kills the squads in daylight if no other unit has LOS to the ordnance that fired?
No the dying unit uses thier walkie-talkies to let every other unit on the board know about it, just as their last breath exhales from their shrapnal riddled bodies.

At least that is how I imagine it.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Re: HIP only at Night?

Bocko said:

Bocko :eek:
Nope.

The unit that it kills was good order (or at least alive?) when the shot happened.

In fact, I think (but am by no means sure) that a HIP gun must go unHIP to change CA? If no LOS, the ? is retained. Not real sure about that.

Which brings up another point....if all of this happens in the LOS of a non-good order unit, ? is not lost.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Sure.
Firing on a broken unit (or Stun or Shocked) does not cause loss of HIP/Concealment...
A good idea : fire on an OT AFV with infantry. If you stun it, kill it with HIP AT Gun (if it is out of GO enemy LOS, you keep HIP).