Concealment loss question

ASLgord

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
May a unit AM behind a wall ADJACENT to a known enemy unit and still keep concealment? Would you provide a rules reference for me.

Thanks,
Gord

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Toastmastergord said:
May a unit AM behind a wall ADJACENT to a known enemy unit and still keep concealment?
No, if the Good Order enemy unit has WA over that wall.
Yes, if the Good Order enemy unit does not have WA.

Would you provide a rules reference for me.
Yes:

A12.14 tells us that a unit looses "?" if it "moves/advances/withdraws into an Open Ground hex (as defined in 10.531)"
So, the unit will not loose "?" unless it does so in an Open Ground hex as per A10.531

A10.531 tells us that the hex is considered Open Ground (for "?"-loss and some other purposes), only if an enemy unit could fire with the -1FFMO DRM.

So those two combined tells us that a unit using AM will only loose "?" if there is a GO enemy unit that could hypothetically fire with FFMO (regardless of whether that unit has a usable weapon or not).

Then, B9.31 tells us that a unit behind a wall always receive the Wall TEM (and thus makes FFMO NA) except from an enemy unit that has WA.

ASLgord

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Follow up question

Ole Boe said:
Yes, if the Good Order enemy unit does not have WA.
Thanks for the great answer, I have follow up question.

I am in a building, first turn of the game so they kept ? and AM to RBmap G44. Now I have a ? unit on the first level, ? would be lost or no. Again, a rules reference would be appreciated.

Later,
Gord

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Toastmastergord said:
Thanks for the great answer, I have follow up question.

I am in a building, first turn of the game so they kept ? and AM to RBmap G44. Now I have a ? unit on the first level, ? would be lost or no. Again, a rules reference would be appreciated.

Later,
Gord
As I understand your situation, you are in F42.1 or G43.1 and a concealed enemy unit am's to G44. If the unit am's into G44, they retain '?'.

B9.33 states: "If a non-Aerial firer is at an elevation above the wall/hedge > the distance in hexes to the target hex, reduce the TEM of that wall/hedge hexside by one for each full level by which the height exceeds the distance (to a minimum TEM of 0)."
This goes for shellholes, too.

Level one elevation in G43= the distance to G44, so no reduction of TEM for shellhole or wall.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I don't have the map either, but Alan's answer seems absolutely correct.

So to loose concealment behind a wall/hedge due to an adjacent upper level enemy, the enemy must be on level 2 (if behind a hedge) or level 3 (if behind a wall) to reduce the wall/hedge TEM to zero, and thereby incur FFMO and concealment loss.