Concealment Gains

Kilroy

Reaction score
Is attempting to gain Concealment at the end of a player turn Mandatory?Who checks? The defender only or both?
If so, can the non phasing player check potential LOS from each and every possible unit that may stop concealment even if, say, the first one to check denies the concealment.
Also, if Mandatory and both check, can the phasing player check LOS to possible stoppers if the defender doesn't do so, even if, say, the first one checked denies it?

Am I lost in an endless rules loop from which there is no escape or am I too lazy to look thoroughly enough?

T-roy

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Concealment gain attempts are optional for the phasing player, not mandatory. So for example, you could intentionally not attempt concealment to deny your opponent a free LOS check (which you think is blocked) to your hex.

Usually the defender would do the LOS checks here, since they are the one hoping to deny the attempt. I would suggest that if the first check denied concealment due to LOS, the concealment gain attempt is over and therefore further defending units cannot take the free LOS checks.

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
Agreed. Once a LOS to an attempted concealment gain is confirmed, no further LOS checks are allowed.

Definately something to consider when trying to gain concealment. The same goes when moving concealed units. Moving such into a location with questionable LOS gives the defender a free LOS check and can eliminate his quandry regarding "should I shoot? Is LOS clear there?" Sometimes better to just remove concealment and force him to commit to an attack instead of giving the FREE LOS check.

cheers
Bruce

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Reepicheep said:
Concealment gain attempts are optional for the phasing player, not mandatory. So for example, you could intentionally not attempt concealment to deny your opponent a free LOS check (which you think is blocked) to your hex.

Usually the defender would do the LOS checks here, since they are the one hoping to deny the attempt. I would suggest that if the first check denied concealment due to LOS, the concealment gain attempt is over and therefore further defending units cannot take the free LOS checks.
Another consideration when talking about ? gain....

A dummy can keep you from gaining ?. Note that ? loss and gain are not symetric when dummy units are the ones stripping or keeping ? from happening. A unit must only be "unbroken" to keep you from gaining? A dummy ain't broken.

And the moral of the story is: even if EVERYBODY knows that stack is dummies, don't take it off as it could keep the other guys from gaining ?

Jazz