Concealed Unit Placing DC A12.14 and DC

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question arose in current game about the placement of a DC by a concealed unit using assault movement. HIP unit breaks out under concealment counter, assault moves into orchard and throws DC on a resting tank. My opponent says that the usual cadre of opponents agree that throwing the DC is not concealment loss.

Is this still good:

A12.14, A12.141 & D9.31 Does a concealed unit
using Assault Movement to Recover a SW or
Place a DC loses concealment for these activities?
Does a concealed unit combining Assault
Movement with Armored Assault to enter an
Open Ground hex lose concealment?
A. Yes, per Concealment Table Case C, assuming
the enemy satisfies the conditions for case C. No.
[Letter8]
Seems to me the Q&A pretty much states that placing the DC is SW use and strips ? even if coupled with assault move in concealment terrain. Concealment Loss - Note C.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larry said:
Question arose in current game about the placement of a DC by a concealed unit using assault movement. HIP unit breaks out under concealment counter, assault moves into orchard and throws DC on a resting tank. My opponent says that the usual cadre of opponents agree that throwing the DC is not concealment loss.

Is this still good:

Seems to me the Q&A pretty much states that placing the DC is SW use and strips ? even if coupled with assault move in concealment terrain. Concealment Loss - Note C.
I would think that THROWING the DC is making a fire attack - which is concealment loss activity

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larry said:
Yes, using a DC is SW usage, which is an action that normally causes concealment loss.

In any case, you cannot throw a DC during your own MPh; you can only place them during your own MPh. If you survive to the AFPh, you can throw it then.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I sent a similar question to Perry Cocke some time ago, and the answer concordates with those expressed above :

A23.3, 23.6 DC Placement (August 2003)
Do these actions by themselves cause Concealment loss:
- Placing a DC?
- Detonating a Placed DC?
- Throwing a DC?
- Detonating a Set DC?
Assuming they are perfomed in LOS of a Good Order unit within 16 hexes, placing or throwing a DC is an "other" action that cause "?" loss. Detonation is not.

By the way, the "Perry Sez" collection at Sam Belcher's site has slightly changed its reference.
It is now : http://dicetower.com/ASL/PerrySez/Index.htm

Allways try to see if a question has already been adressed in that list : even if "Perry Sez" are not "official" answers, they are quite useful...:rolleyes:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[
A23.3, 23.6 DC Placement (August 2003)
Do these actions by themselves cause Concealment loss:
- Placing a DC?
- Detonating a Placed DC?
- Throwing a DC?
- Detonating a Set DC?
Assuming they are perfomed in LOS of a Good Order unit within 16 hexes, placing or throwing a DC is an "other" action that cause "?" loss. Detonation is not.
The actual placing/throwing of the DC is an SW usage and thus is a '?' loss action. However, the MP used to move prior to those MP used to place do not cause '?' loss. For example:
1) '?' 468/DC declares AM into a building for 2MP
2) The '?' 468/DC is subject to DFrF.
3) The '?' 468/DC survives unscathed and still '?'.
4) The '?' 468/DC then declares placement of the DC into the cellar (1MP). At that point the 468 would lose '?'.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Tater said:
the MP used to move prior to those MP used to place do not cause '?' loss.
Good point!
Just a note : it is MF rather than MP for Infantry, but knowing your experience, I am sure it was a "spelling" problem... ;)